Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 06:15   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44
Raymarine e125 showing AWS equal to TWS

Our Raymarine chart plotter is showing our true wind speed is equal to our apparent wind speed. This happens 100% of the time while out sailing, and just started recently. Since its registering a speed, I'm guessing the problem is in the device that is performing the calculations.

System is 6 months old, bought new. Raymarine told me to send the unit in. Not really a easy thing to do since that would take the whole system down and we are cruising.

Any thoughts?

Amy
S/V Starry Horizons
Outchasingstars.com
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-06-2015, 06:44   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Raymarine e125 showing AWS equal to TWS

Clean the log paddle wheel Amy. That should fix the problem. Btw, also take a look at the plotter settings and change the magnetic variation from 15 degrees to zero if you are finding discrepancies in the TWD outputs, or discrepancies for TWA on alternate tacks.

Also...Raymarine are really good like that. Remove the unit at your expense, post both ways at your expense, fix the unit and not tell you what the problem was. So much for warranty.
A local Raymarine technician would be a better option if it's not the paddle wheel or if a system reset doesn't sort it out. Contacting FP for a warranty claim might work or they might just palm it off to Raymarine.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:26   #3

Re: Raymarine e125 showing AWS equal to TWS

Hi monte,

Thanks for giving me a starting point. I don't know much about this stuff but I'm learning. We have an Airmar smart tri multisensor.

Our Raymarine was not purchased through FP, so they wouldn't be any help anyway.

Could you explain to me how that transducer affects the wind speed readout? In most of the forums I have searched the discussion starts because the SOG v STW is off.

We definitely know that our transducer needs cleaning, as we've been in nasty marina water for 5 months (ugh).

Amy
S/V Starry Horizons
Outchasingstars.com
Old 07-06-2015, 07:53   #4

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Amy,
Most instruments calculate the TWS from the AWS reported by masthead transducer using the boat speed through the water and boat heading. If your knotmeter is not reporting any boat speed then the TWS will be the same as AWS as to the instruments the boat is not moving. In that case the problem is likely in the knotmeter.
If your knotmeter is in fact showing some speed (even if it is wrong) the TWS should differ from the AWS. In that case there is likely either a configuration setting that needs be changed or a cable connection has come loose or corroded.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:12   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes Amy, as John said, the TWD and TWS is derived by calculating the AWS and AWA using the STW. It gets the STW I formation from the log, so if the log isn't turning it will show the same TWS and TWA as AWS and AWA.
Some systems will allow you to use SOG for calculating the TWS and TWA but I don't think it's possible with the Raymarine.
On our Raymarine plotter and displays we have STW and SOG displayed constantly so we can compare the two and check for currents effecting us. It also indicates quickly if the log had stopped working. Usually a quick brush of the paddle wheel is all it needs to free it up, although last week I had to dive 10 times to clear ours as a shell fish had made his home there after less than a week at anchor.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:41   #6

Ah, that makes sense. I have changed our chart plotter to show Speed (which I am assuming is STW) and SOG side by side so we will be able to view that to troubleshoot next time. I'm hoping that the current will pull strong enough today to register...I may ask my neighbors for their STW to confirm. Otherwise Ill have to wait for our next trip.

Definitely need to pull our transducer out regardless and clean. I think we have a critter growing in it. Unfortunately I don't know where our blanking plug is (didn't even know I needed such a thing), so I need to find a replacement.

Thanks for your help! I'll be sure to come back and comment on how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-06-2015, 10:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyA511 View Post
Our Raymarine chart plotter is showing our true wind speed is equal to our apparent wind speed. This happens 100% of the time while out sailing, and just started recently. Since its registering a speed, I'm guessing the problem is in the device that is performing the calculations.

System is 6 months old, bought new. Raymarine told me to send the unit in. Not really a easy thing to do since that would take the whole system down and we are cruising.

Any thoughts?

Amy
S/V Starry Horizons
Outchasingstars.com
Clean paddle log and ensure it is f1reely rotating before anything else.
Do you have another instrument display on the Raymarine network? If you do play with the display to show speed over water and check what it says. Unless it is different from zero you will always see AWS = TWS as people ecplained.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:50   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Amy I've never pulled ours out, I just clean from in the water. But if the waters cold and dirty maybe its worth trying.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:13   #9

Boat: Lagoon 40

I have had the same problem on my boat (with Raymarine). The instrument measures Apparent Wind and True Wind is a mathematical calculation that uses your Boat Speed from your paddle wheel. If the wheel is fouled or not turning, AWS=TWS. My wheel runs slow typically, so again the calculation is affected.

Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 15:38   #10

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Clean the log paddle wheel Amy. That should fix the problem. Btw, also take a look at the plotter settings and change the magnetic variation from 15 degrees to zero if you are finding discrepancies in the TWD outputs, or discrepancies for TWA on alternate tacks.

Also...Raymarine are really good like that. Remove the unit at your expense, post both ways at your expense, fix the unit and not tell you what the problem was. So much for warranty.
A local Raymarine technician would be a better option if it's not the paddle wheel or if a system reset doesn't sort it out. Contacting FP for a warranty claim might work or they might just palm it off to Raymarine.
I can't add any more suggestions than what have been. But just in relation to sending things back to Raymarine (Australia). I've not had this experience. I have had to pay the post 'to' them, but they covered the post back, both times. I was querying two different auto pilots. The first time ten years out of warranty. I was able to talk to a techy two or three times with suggestions to avoid pulling it apart and removing from the boat. Ulitimately he did tell me to remove it all and send it to him. Turned out the motor was stuffed. Despite it being scrap they posted it back to me. The second time was a warranty job. But again talked me through some tests first. Then paid the return postage.

Now, our local Raymarine agent, absolutely useless for fixing anything. Won't even have a look. Just says send it to raymarine.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 07:38   #11

Thanks all! I cleaned the paddle wheel and sure enough, that did it. I had fun doing it too - a good project without the help of David.

Amy
S/V Starry Horizons
Outchasingstars.com
Old 27-06-2015, 07:40   #12
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well done mate
Old 30-06-2015, 02:21   #13
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

It seems Raymarine have lost the plot in more than just Australia....

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 30-06-2015, 04:59   #14

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOT View Post
It seems Raymarine have lost the plot in more than just Australia....
I don't understand - this isn't a Raymarine problem. Nobody's gear will show TWS without a ground or water speed input.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 06:42   #15
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Raymarine don't come and clean our paddle wheel enough!

Tags
marine, raymarine