Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 14:29   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Posts: 210
Raymarine E120 - Intermittent Alarm very Annoying!

We have a Raymarine E120 Classic, has worked well for eight seasons. This season it alarms "Heading Not Available" erratically. If you wait for the alarm to cycle off (10 seconds of high pitched beeping) it gives you a heading and all related functions again. Sometimes it will alarm on and off for hours, sometimes not once in a day. I have examined the connections on both ends of the GPS sensor cable and they are clean and snug fitting. The GPS sensor is blinking green although I have not been up there when it is alarming so I should try that. There is no way to program the alarm off. Here are the questions:
Has this happened to anyone else and what was your solution?
Has the GPS sensor failed for anyone else and what was the symptom? Could the failure be intermittent?
Has anyone opened the case to snip the wire to the alarm?
Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Calypso52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 00:44   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,321
Re: Raymarine E120 - Intermittent alarm very annoying!

Normally Heading is provided by the flux gate (compass) of the auto pilot or of an electronic compass.
__________________

__________________
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:19   #3
Moderator
 
nigel1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 5,182
Re: Raymarine E120 - Intermittent Alarm very Annoying!

I have the Raymarine new E Series 125, and get the same intermittent alarm.
As Chala says, the heading input is from a flux gate compass or other similar transmitting compass.
In my case, I know the compass is OK, as when the alarm is sounded on the MFD, I still see correct heading data on the auto pilot head.
Its a pretty new installation in my case, I double checked all connections and found no problems.
Raymarine's response was that it could be just a case of input overload on the MFD.

In your case, as it has only recently started with this alarm, I would check the compass and it's connections.
__________________
Nigel
Beneteau 473
Manchester, UK
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:34   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Raymarine E120 - Intermittent Alarm very Annoying!

is the c120 linked to your autopilot via sea talk?
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:32   #5
Moderator
 
nigel1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 5,182
Re: Raymarine E120 - Intermittent Alarm very Annoying!

Hi Atoll

In my case it is not, the 120 picks up the heading data on the B&G Network Loop, via an NMEA to Seatalk 2 convertor.
Cannot control AP from the plotter.
__________________
Nigel
Beneteau 473
Manchester, UK
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:07   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,321
Re: Raymarine E120 - Intermittent Alarm very Annoying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
I have the Raymarine new E Series 125, and get the same intermittent alarm.
Raymarine's response was that it could be just a case of input overload on the MFD.
For a try, disconnect the data cable that feed data from the autopilot or compass, I do not know how your system is wired, and see if you get exactly the same sentence. If not the same sentence must come from somewhere else if it is exactly the same may be the transmission from the B&G break. Just a guess.

Nice for Ray to admit that their MFD are not up to the task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
In my case, I know the compass is OK, as when the alarm is sounded on the MFD, I still see correct heading data on the auto pilot head.
It is not because you see correct heading data on the auto pilot head that this data is sent to the network.
__________________
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 16:45   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
Opie91's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CT
Boat: C&C 34
Posts: 811
Re: Raymarine E120 - Intermittent Alarm very Annoying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso52 View Post
We have a Raymarine E120 Classic, has worked well for eight seasons. This season it alarms "Heading Not Available" erratically. If you wait for the alarm to cycle off (10 seconds of high pitched beeping) it gives you a heading and all related functions again. Sometimes it will alarm on and off for hours, sometimes not once in a day. I have examined the connections on both ends of the GPS sensor cable and they are clean and snug fitting. The GPS sensor is blinking green although I have not been up there when it is alarming so I should try that. There is no way to program the alarm off. Here are the questions:
Has this happened to anyone else and what was your solution?
Has the GPS sensor failed for anyone else and what was the symptom? Could the failure be intermittent?
Has anyone opened the case to snip the wire to the alarm?
Thanks!
More details about the system integration please. Let us know everything you have installed including non Raymarine stuff.

This will help us help you.
__________________

__________________
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alarm, marine, raymarine

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intermittent fault Raymarine i40 Bidata display Peter McNamara Marine Electronics 0 24-04-2014 06:21
Wooden Floorboard CREEK: Annoying!!! PUDDLE JUMPER II Monohull Sailboats 6 19-02-2014 22:10
Are stylish super yacht interiors annoying? amgcreative Powered Boats 3 11-06-2012 05:28
One Very, Very, Very Lucky Sailor nigel1 Off Topic Forum 13 09-11-2011 08:04



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.