Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2012, 09:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David
Raymarine Course Computer

I need to replace my type 100 course computer, 1996 vintage. Can anybody shed some light on the improvements and features of the later models such as:

150 / 450
S 1 / S2 / S3
X 10 / X30

Are they all compatable with a ST6000+ and a type 1 linear drive?

Is the gyro series worth the extra money?

Fletch
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 09:49   #2

Boat: Farr 50
Re: Raymarine Course Computer

Fletch - I recently had some pretty technical issues with my Raymarine equipment and got great answers from the Raymarine Technical Forum. You must join and it takes a day or so to get signed up but it is very helpful. It is composed of a bunch of very competent Raymarine folks and they answer this type of question very well. Good luck, John
Old 28-10-2012, 12:58   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Look up the specs and you will find required all data there. I believe both the discussed instrument and the drive go fine with the new computers.

You will want to match your new course computer with the older drive. Check for max amps output on the 'drive' terminals of the computer.

The G feature is the next best thing from sliced bread - go for it. It was available earlier as an add-on. The new computers have it integrated.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 13:36   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

I replaced my type 100 this year with an X10 unit. You need to also replace the control head and this may or may not be an issue because of the Seatalk NG. In the end I used an older non NG control head so that everything would stay compatible.

Using the older control head I "lost" some advanced features of he X10, like fishing patterns. Of course that wasn't much of a problem for a sailboat.
Old 28-10-2012, 19:12   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

Don, changing out the 100 for the X10, was there any major improvement in the operation of the X10, did you use the same drive unit?

Fletch
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 03:42   #6
CLOD

I used the same drive unit, gyro, rudder refernce, etc to just make the wiring easier.

The X10 was a cleaner install than the 100 for me becuse I had an add on gyro unit.

Really the only tricky thing was making sure the control head worked with the Seatalk (there isa work around for using the old Seatalk with newer Seatalk NG).

I find that the X10 works quicker than my old type 100 and I normally use it at a response level of 2.
Old 29-10-2012, 05:15   #7

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas
I find that the X10 works quicker than my old type 100 and I normally use it at a response level of 2.
I found the same. I went with the ST70 controller, so can't answer whether the ST6000+ will work. If I had to do it over, I would look hard at Simrad as it'll work with the RM type 1 drive and Simrad IS NMEA2000 compatible. I find it frustrating that RM won't support N2K based chartplotters, only their own STng stuff.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 05:35   #8
CLOD

RM told me the ST6000 wouldn't work with the X10 when I did mine and I could tell once I did the programming that they were different so who knows.

Mine has N2K that I use between the autopilot and the chartplotter, it was the other instrucments that was the Seatalk issue to me.

But you can use STng with the older ST. There is a manual that tells you how to do it.

Tags
raymarine

« Ham Rig | Grounding »