Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 20:21   #1

Raymarine C80 Series Problem ?

I everyone I have a small question with my chart plotter, at first it worked great then now when I boot with the CF card it will not start however as soon as I take the card out the system starts. I am getting very frustrated can anyone help, PLEASE
Pagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 21:08   #2

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Re: Raymarine C80 series problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagos View Post
I everyone I have a small question with my chart plotter, at first it worked great then now when I boot with the CF card it will not start however as soon as I take the card out the system starts. I am getting very frustrated can anyone help, PLEASE
most likely, the CF card got corrupted.
What happens when you insert the card AFTER booting up? you can insert and remove the cards any time as long as a read/write operation is not taking place.

My guess is that when the system boots up, it does a system check and when it gets to the CF card reader and a corrupted card is installed, it fails the system check.

Best way to troubleshoot is to try a known good chart card.

Also-first go to the system setup menu and do a settings reset (do not reset the data too unless you do not mind losing it). this will reset the unit to its default settings.
If this does not help, you could also go to raymarine.com, click on support, and download the latest software update--you save it to a blank CF card.
I personally would update the software first since you should be doing this anyway as part of normal upkeep. Updating the software on your unit would eliminate the possibility of any corruption of the C80 operating system. this could happen if you had a voltage drop or spike.

its extremely unlikely you have a hardware issue.
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 21:41   #3

Thanks very much we have checked the card and it is reading on friends system but even when we unplug the card let it boot then install it still does not read, have you any further ideas?
regards
Old 03-11-2011, 21:53   #4

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

then try to update the software. If that does not work, then you can suspect the unit. if its within the warranty you are in luck
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 22:19   #5

I have tried a factory restart but don't know how to do software as as soon as I plug in nothing happens.
Old 03-11-2011, 22:20   #6

Re: Raymarine C80 Series Problem ?

You could also perform a factory reset on the unit if you don't have any important waypoints in there. Edit - you posted that you tried this a minute before me!
mstyle8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 22:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy
then try to update the software. If that does not work, then you can suspect the unit. if its within the warranty you are in luck
Thanks for your help I think at the moment I am of the opinion to send back yes it is only 3 months old.
Old 03-11-2011, 22:26   #8

Take a flashlight and make sure you didn't bend any of the gold pins at the bottom of the card reader. Knowing Raymarine, they'll charge you for that because they'll say it was your fault.
Old 03-11-2011, 23:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstyle8517
Take a flashlight and make sure you didn't bend any of the gold pins at the bottom of the card reader. Knowing Raymarine, they'll charge you for that because they'll say it was your fault.
Thanks had a look for the 5 th time and yes they are good do you recon I should now send it back?
Old 04-11-2011, 04:20   #10

Yup, I'd send it back.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:30   #11

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
I personally would update the software first since you should be doing this anyway as part of normal upkeep. Updating the software on your unit would eliminate the possibility of any corruption of the C80 operating system. this could happen if you had a voltage drop or spike.

its extremely unlikely you have a hardware issue.
Updating the software is good advise. If you are using a big CF card (like U.S. East Coast), the older software versions won't support it. I had the same thing when I switched to a different, bigger CF card. had to update the software, then worked fine.

Start up the unit without the card. What software version is shown on the start-up/warning screen? I believe current is at least 5.xx.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:02   #12

Boat: Hunter 49 - FELA

When you say CF card - do you mean the chart CF card or a CF card you bought to update the C80 software? The reason that I am asking is that I purchased a couple of cheap CF cards to upgrade my C120 and it did not recognized the cards at all. I then purchased a Sandisk CF card as recommended by Raymarine and everythig worked after that. YMMV

Velero
Old 04-11-2011, 06:38   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Pago, I am a bit curious. If the unit is 3 months old, it is still under warranty. So why have you not contacted Raymarine tech support and had a discussion with them regarding the problem and the potential to send it back if it can't be resolved? They are the manufacturer and have the most experience with troubleshooting problems. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:04   #14

Hi Chuck, I am intact in Hong kong and the dealers here are not very Goodson if infact it was a problem
Old 08-11-2011, 07:05   #15

Sorry , infact a problem I could have sorted I would rather go down that route. But thanks for your concerns.
Adrian

Tags
raymarine