Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2018, 13:50   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Raymarine C80 alternative/replacement

The boat has a C80 plotter, and a spare, ST60 wind and speed instruments with slaves, and an analog RD218 radar. I have a spare radome. I have AIS integrated into the MFD via seatalk.

Recently BOTH C80’s died. One is cost effective to repair, one is not. It sounds like Raymarine is unlikely to support this product very far into the future.

I want a spare MFD. It looks like a used C80 is about $550.

So if I’m spending $550 on a used C80 maybe I would be better off getting something newer that will be supported for a while. It would have to be plug comparisons with the wind, speed, and analog radar.

It looks like a Raymarine es97 would fit this need. But they are about $2,000, or roughly $1,500 more than a used C80. The wallet says “OUCH!”

Are there any other alternatives? I don’t think I NEED to integrate the wind and speed with the MFD. But I do need the radar to integrate as well as the AIS. Will any other mfgs. MFD work with this radar and seatalk/AIS?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 14:01   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Raymarine C80 alternative/replacement

They are getting a little long in the tooth and I wonder how long our C80 will keep going, its one of the very early ones.

However, the bits are worth a fortune secondhand on e bay as I suspect you have alread found out. Why not ditch the RM old stuff and replace with the new broadband radar system and chart plotter. Back up could be a cheaper stand alone Garmin or RM. Fund the cost by selling off the old stuff.

Is there a deadline to meet? buy the replacements in the fall or just before Xmas when deals may be good and sell the old RM stuff next Spring when the weather picks up and the market goes mad for replacement components.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 15:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tats not really in the cards. First I’m CHEAP but also because we move between winter and summer boats out of country. I’ve only got brief in between periods while terrifying my children to get this kind of stuff done. The need to buy this stuff here and then take it with me to Grenada in September. In the meantime I’m in Canada.

The got got backup chart plotters and a spare radome. If I switch to totally new technology I have the buy 2 radomes to get what I have. Remember I’m replacing the spare C80 as it is.
Old 14-06-2018, 15:55   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ah, hadn't realised that you have two boats.

Pete
Old 14-06-2018, 17:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, summer and winter retirement locations.

It’s a burden but i shoulder it well.

LOL
Old 15-06-2018, 00:46   #6

Boat: Riva 48

Buy a second hand C80. Search eBay, Craigslist and local yacht clubs. You should be able to get one for around $300-350 with patience.

There is no direct replacement for the Classic C/E series - probably the best selling chart plotter ever. Anything more recent would require a radar update and Seatalk to nmea 2000 converters plus wiring.

If you just need a spare, get an RL70 or similar (these are cheaper since they have no AIS) and use it as a backup until you get a good second hand C80.

An alternative is to buy two modern radomes, then use a tablet to display radar + charts. Not optimal but an option. If you sell your working C80 and the two radomes you will not be that much off.

Good luck.
Pizzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 01:27   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Buy a second hand C80. Search eBay, Craigslist and local yacht clubs. You should be able to get one for around $300-350 with patience. Good luck.
I wish, they are £400 this side of the pond, but getting away from e bay etc is a good idea. What you need is someone doing a electronics upgrade and who wants to sell off C80 kit. Perhaps notices on the boards of local yacht clubs, or drop a crate of beer in with the local RM shop / repairer with your business card asking for a tip off.

Pete
Old 16-06-2018, 05:18   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I’ve done just that. Found a chap on eBay getting rid of an entire system for not much more than a chart plotter alone. Not quite a done deal yet but hopefully soon to be.

Now I’ve got to cypher out how to shop and import this stuff to Grenada. I’ve got a broker there but have yet to actually do it.

Ah the cruising life, away from all the stress and worries! Nothing but sunshine, margaritas, and senoritas.
Old 18-06-2018, 09:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well THAT deal blew up.

Would an E80 be a fully functional spare? I need a radar display (and AIS display) more than a plotter.
Old 18-06-2018, 09:49   #10

Boat: Amel Euros 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Well THAT deal blew up.

Would an E80 be a fully functional spare? I need a radar display (and AIS display) more than a plotter.
Yes it would. It' just a little bulkier but fits in the same holder bracket as C80. E80 does take more power then C80. I'm carrying E120 as a replacement to my C120.
ullar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 09:52   #11

Boat: Riva 48

The E80 is better in every respect (better display, video out, Ethernet port, etc.) but it consumes double the power, close to 2.2 amps at full brightness. This is a lot, compared to the C80 (0.9 amps) or a modern LED plotter (0.4 amps). If power and space are not a concertn to you, go for the E80.

FYI, I started with a C80, went to and E80 then traded back to a C80 for the power consumption issue.
Pizzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 10:27   #12

Boat: Amel Euros 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
The E80 is better in every respect (better display, video out, Ethernet port, etc.) but it consumes double the power, close to 2.2 amps at full brightness. This is a lot, compared to the C80 (0.9 amps) or a modern LED plotter (0.4 amps). If power and space are not a concertn to you, go for the E80.

FYI, I started with a C80, went to and E80 then traded back to a C80 for the power consumption issue.
Just out of curiosity, how do you find the display better on E-series? I would say exactly opposite. Could be these displays have evolved during product life span?
ullar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 13:13   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the info.

We’ve got pretty good power; 600 watts of solar and a wind gen. We have 4 GC-6 batteries at 12vdc. But still more than doubling the power drain would be an issue.
Old 18-06-2018, 13:24   #14

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Before you dump your C80, take it apart and clean all the contacts and connectors from ALL the cards. Search on oogle, you will find many miraculous resuscitated displays this way. I repaired one of a friend on an afternoon in his cockpit while moored at an island in the bay of Naples. I cleaned all contacts with alcohol ( the non drinkable sort). His screen was only showing horizontal lines.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 13:25   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bit expensive but your side of the pond:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raymarine...wAAOSw46hbICxY

Would you accept a C70?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raymarine...wAAOSwNA1bITSP

Tags
marine, men, raymarine