Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2016, 15:56   #16

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Raymarine C120 is this a good deal??

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug45 View Post
I really thanks everyone for the input WOW everyone knows alot of stuff! on this subject. I have a Gemini 3000 and live in Louisiana, want to sail around FL and go to Bahamas. What do I need??? I seen the post on handheld stuff and will write down your thoughts on those items you mentioned to buy and will be much cheaper. I will offer less and probably walk away if he does not come down. anymore input would be helpfull, thanks Doug
Buy an entry level Plotter (maybe a Vulcan) and a basic wind device. Then use the money you saved to buy an EPIRB. Seriously, an EPIRB is way more important than the other gear. A Gemini was lost this year between Fl and Bahamas (no loss of crew, but the boat was lost).

However if you want to get fancy (and wait till fall) you could do a Triton bundle with a Vulcan for about $1800 brand new! Much better gear for just a little bit more.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 08:19   #17
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeyKrogen38 View Post
Raymarine is famous for discontinuing support and repairs for older units forcing you to buy new.
Or another way to look at it... Raymarine is famous for advancing marine technology as new product consumers demand and smartly discontinue supporting products 4 generations past, so that they can stay in business to support customers willing to spend some money on very low margin products in a very competitive marketplace. How many years is an iPhone or a TV supported. We have been in the age of disposable electronics for about 20 years. Life expectancy for any electronic device is 10 years, electromechanical about 5.

Raymarine certified installer
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 08:45   #18

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
I really thanks everyone for the input WOW everyone knows alot of stuff! on this subject. I have a Gemini 3000 and live in Louisiana, want to sail around FL and go to Bahamas. What do I need??? I seen the post on handheld stuff and will write down your thoughts on those items you mentioned to buy and will be much cheaper. I will offer less and probably walk away if he does not come down. anymore input would be helpfull, thanks Doug
What is your budget? If you want something basic, and if you're not racing and just going around Florida with an occasional trip to the Bahamas, I would, after getting proper paper charts, consider either something like a Garmin 44DV or 54DV (buttons) or a Simrad Go5 (touch screen). I would also consider a back up such as a hand held Garmin 73. The Garmins are a good value for the money. You don't need the CHIRP if you're not fishing and not having the chirp will also save some $50. Keep in mind that you won't be able to network those and add things such as radar down the road, but they do offer a lot for the money.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 09:29   #19
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
I have a guy on craiglist has a C120 multi function display, tri data instrument ST60 with Transducer and the sounder module DSM 300 with transducer and fairing block 2 VHF radios, Raymarine 72 NM Radar Dome with GPS antenna module all for $1500 is this a good deal????
Marine electronics depreciate about 50% the day they are purchased, as the warranty is non-transferable. After that about 20% per year.

So today's Raymarine products 12" MFD, radar, and i50
Tridata and basic VHF retails for about US$6000, so $1500
asking is not out of line. The guy may take $1000 or $1200.

If you can afford new, that would be wise. If you can't, the choice is made for you. If you can afford about 3 times the used system, would suggest going for a new 7" MFD / Radar pack for less money and get Navionics for the iPad with waterproof case down below linked by WIFI.
Raymarine Dealer
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 12:08   #20
cruiser

Boat: beneteau catameran blue 2

going monday to west marine and buy the Simrad go 5 with Garmin 73 for back up and an epirb. Thats to start with and then have a 100 watt solar coming in with regulater.
doug45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 11:20   #21

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"

Quote:
going monday to west marine and buy the Simrad go 5 with Garmin 73 for back up and an epirb. Thats to start with and then have a 100 watt solar coming in with regulater.
Doug,

I see you're in Lafayette - I grew up in St. Martinville. You managing to keep dry?

When do you plan on heading out to FL and Bahamas? If it's a while (year or 2 away) and you haven't bought the gear yet, I'd wait until a few months before you go. Things move fast in the marine electronics world...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 11:35   #22

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Doug45, since you are in Lafayette (spent a few of my formative years in Sunset before moving up to Monroe), and this is off-topic I know.....I would like to sail/motor up the Black, Red, and Ouachita rivers to Monroe at some point coming up through Morgan City. Anyone from Lousiana know anything about the river current speeds? USCG sites don't really help much except to state volume passing through a certain area. Haven't been back to my home town in nearly 11 years. Would like to surprise a niece and nephews that I've never really met but have been told stories about their "Seafaring Uncle" (USN, retired) told to them by my sister (now deceased...R.I.P.)

Anyone with some info on the rivers, please send me a PM here, would be much appreciated.
Old 31-08-2016, 13:31   #23
cruiser

Boat: beneteau catameran blue 2

hey beausoliel, how are you nice to hear from a louisiana man on the site. We did fine everyone else needed a boateau but we made it fine. I broke down and bought a Gamin 741xl with 35 NM Radar combo for $1800. Love it. will be fine when I make the crossing next year and I got a free US BOAts 10 ft dingy from my brother in law it is really nice!!! waiting on my solar panels to install also. My Gemini is in Panama city so hope it will fair well in the storm tommorrow.
doug45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 19:17   #24

Boat: 1980 Hunter 37C
Send a message via Skype™ to Naviget

Dave,
Can you make me a recommendation on electronics? I have a 1980 Hunter 37 cutter sailboat with old Navman wind, speed, depth on NMEA 0183. All work fine. Wife and I are planning to leave this summer from Lake Ontario, northern NY for at least 2 years in Caribbean. I want to add MFD, charts, radar, class B AIS transceiver. Maybe, if things work out in a couple of years, I'd consider adding autopilot. Used gear would be fine. If i had $3000 to throw at this, what would you say? From what I hear, as a sailor, I would be happiest with B&G. There seem to be a lot of Raymarine E120 units on used market. I have a handheld Garmin GPSMAP 78, and find it clunky and slow.
I appreciate the clear, focused input from you on the forum. Hoping you have a recommendation before I go to the Toronto Boat show in a couple of weeks.
Michael
Naviget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 21:00   #25

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naviget View Post
Dave,
Can you make me a recommendation on electronics? I have a 1980 Hunter 37 cutter sailboat with old Navman wind, speed, depth on NMEA 0183. All work fine. Wife and I are planning to leave this summer from Lake Ontario, northern NY for at least 2 years in Caribbean. I want to add MFD, charts, radar, class B AIS transceiver. Maybe, if things work out in a couple of years, I'd consider adding autopilot. Used gear would be fine. If i had $3000 to throw at this, what would you say? From what I hear, as a sailor, I would be happiest with B&G. There seem to be a lot of Raymarine E120 units on used market. I have a handheld Garmin GPSMAP 78, and find it clunky and slow.
I appreciate the clear, focused input from you on the forum. Hoping you have a recommendation before I go to the Toronto Boat show in a couple of weeks.
Michael

Hi Michael,

I sent you a PM with my phone number. Please feel free to give me a call when time permits.

The handheld Garmin GPSMap 78 is great for getting a Latitude and Longitude and then confirming on a paper chart where you plotted your position. It is only fair for navigating with.

Cheers,

Dave
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine