Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 16:47   #1

Boat: Pugh Windsong 38ft Steel Sloop - Bass Voyager
Raymarine Autopilot Help - Purchasing Decisions

Hello,

I would like some help in choosing an autopilot system for a yacht I am looking at purchasing. She's a 38ft steel hull Pugh of about 15t displacement. She has mechanical steering via cable and quadrant.

I am looking at a lot of autopilot systems ATM. I really like the idea of the Raymarine SPX30 system. Being in Australia I have hit two problems as far as Raymarine products are concerned.

Problem Number one: The website seems to be locked up tight so that the consumer can't actually access any technical information regarding these products. I have a quote from a local supplier (re problem no 2) for the SPX30 computer and compass, the ST6002 Display unit and the Type 2 Short linear Drive unit. How do I know that the Type 2 short drive is the one that I want? I would hope the person who quoted the parts knows what he's doing but I can't double check as the website is locked out. Does anyone know where I might be able to access technical data for these items?

Problem Number two: Local prices in Australia are ridiculous. I can get the same parts from the US at about 40% less even once GST and postage are taken into account. There is the issue of local warranty but even if I have to send it back once or twice for warranty I am still WAY ahead in price. My other issue here relates to problem number one in that I need to be sure that I am ordering the correct Drive unit. I have looked at a couple of websites in the US and the Marine dot com site looks pretty good in terms of price and shipping. Has anyone used them before? I can't seem to find anyone talking about them so it's hard to tell.

Anyway, if you can help please post - it will be much appreciated.
Serenity01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 17:57   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
As a long time user of raymarine. I don't understand. There's nothing locked out on the site. All the manuals and installation quides are available on the main RAy website.

Also the tech response via email is OK, but I find ringing the uk guys directly was very effective.

Order the parts wherever there cheapest, as long as you're competent to do the installs. If you want local support them you have to support the locals and possibly pay more ( you can't have it both ways). However in my case I've self installed all my ray gear over the years including autopilots , chartplotters, radars and networks.

PS the decision on the Ram type is based on the displacement of the boat and that info is on the web site. I'd err and ensure I had a ram well over the needed capacity.

Dave
Old 04-01-2011, 18:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
As a long time user of raymarine. I don't understand. There's nothing locked out on the site. All the manuals and installation quides are available on the main RAy website.
Yeah, I don't understand either but when ever I try to access the info and specs on the Raymarine AU site it always says dealer login required. I suspect they are locking down the info to make it harder to order stuff from OS considering the huge markup here. I could be wrong. I might try a VPN to the UK and US sites later and see how that goes. The RAM type is my main concern and although the quoted RAM sounds good I don't have anyway to cofirm that independant of the person who quoted it.
Old 04-01-2011, 18:22   #4
Nearly an old salt

Can't comment on the raymarine AUS site just delete your cookies and any of RAys sites can be accessed.

Dave
Old 04-01-2011, 18:25   #5

Boat: Pearson 10M
Serenity,

Attached is page 11 from Raymarine ST7000 Installation manual. It should answer your question. Post if you still have a question.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ST7000_installation_handboo.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	22546  
msoneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 18:29   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I would suggest you go with a hydraulic drive rather than the mechanical drive unit.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 18:32   #7
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
I would suggest you go with a hydraulic drive rather than the mechanical drive unit.
I would not agree. The raymarine electric actuators have a good reputation and I've done two atlantics with them they handle quite heavy boats into the 45-48 foot area quite well.

Dave
Old 04-01-2011, 18:34   #8

Thanks for all your help guys, I managed to get on the US site and wow - what a difference, I can actually get specs and manuals now.

Good thing too, the unit I was quoted on is maxed out. The type2 linear drive short has a max displacement of 15t. The Type2 long is 20t. The yacht I'm looking at is about 13t dry, 15t wet. I think the 20t version will be the way to go.

Anyone running the type2 drive with the x30 corepack? How do you find it?
Old 04-01-2011, 19:33   #9
Nearly an old salt

The type 2 drives have been on the go a while now. The x30 corepack is the beefier version and in this revision Ray solved the problem that used to dog the older version, namely the output power transistors going.

Just remember if you intend to drive the quadrant directly ( a seperate tiller arm for the arm is better, but many manufacturers drive the quadrant ) you need a quadrant that can handle the force. I've seen type2's break up a quadrant that became jammed. Also the mounting bracket fixing for the ram needs to be over built as it's subject to a lot of force don't skimp in thoses areas. Also make sure the quadrant end stops before the drive hits it's internal stops.

Ensure good chunky power cables to the drive electronics

Other then that is a very good autopilot now with the rate gyro as standard its even better. Found it excellent in stern quartering seas .

Dave
Old 25-01-2011, 15:21   #10

Boat: Catalina 350
What's the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I would not agree. The raymarine electric actuators have a good reputation and I've done two atlantics with them they handle quite heavy boats into the 45-48 foot area quite well.

Dave
Curious about this . . .
An Autopilot is at the top of the list for 2011. What are the Pros and Cons of a Hydraulic Vs. Mechanical? Are you taking about a Servo motor controlled unit vs. a Fluid controlled unit. What are we talking about? Reliability? Ease of installation? Power consumption? Long Term cost of ownership? ??? Thanks in advace for any response.
Windseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 15:45   #11

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
43' Cat, ~20k lbs.

Raymarine X-10 with type 1 Linear drive and ST70 controller.

Drive is original, 8+ years old.

I upgraded the controller, just because I wanted something new.

Everything works well.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 16:15   #12
Mav

Boat: Silverton, 360 Express, 38' Name pending
I am having a Raymarine SPX10 and ST70 installed this coming week to replace a very old ST5000 system. Although mine is a power cruiser with hydraulic steering. I am re-utilising the current type-1 hydraulic drive that is already installed.

I decided to purchase the Raymarine kit that comes with a type-1 drive as well as I figure that the original type-1 has been in the boat for 10 years and will most likely die one of these days and I will then have a spare to replace it with.

Purchased it here in Australia as after looking in the USA it came down to only saving a few hundred. Try Keogh's Marine here in Australai their prices were the best I found. They have an online store of sorts.
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 16:33   #13

Thanks for all your help guys, as it turns out there really isn't enough room under the rear cabin bunk frame between the qaudrant to install the gear - hydraulic or electric, well, not without major rework and loss of precious Cabin height.

I have decided to go with a CPT unit. After lots of research and good contact with the supplier who was extremely helpful I will be ordering it this weekend after a few measurements. It's also less than half the price which is an added bonus. I would have preffered the Raymarine setup for the extra features but it isn't to be.
Old 28-01-2011, 16:43   #14

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity01 View Post
Thanks for all your help guys, as it turns out there really isn't enough room under the rear cabin bunk frame between the qaudrant to install the gear - hydraulic or electric, well, not without major rework and loss of precious Cabin height.

I have decided to go with a CPT unit. After lots of research and good contact with the supplier who was extremely helpful I will be ordering it this weekend after a few measurements. It's also less than half the price which is an added bonus. I would have preffered the Raymarine setup for the extra features but it isn't to be.
I ordered mine day before yesterday! I too have found the owners to be good people.I ordered mine with a 12" wheel, and they said if I'm not satisfied, I can exchange with a 10" at no cost.I'm not used to that kind of service in the marine industry...ever. Fair Winds
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 10:05   #15

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Re: Raymarine Autopilot Help - Purchasing Decisions

Installed the CPT autopilot last week and took her out for a sea trial. After about 15 minutes of fiddling around, dialed her in and it held very steady. It was low 30's out so only motored. The family, me too, aren't into cold rain sailing, so will have to wait to see how it steers with the white things up. Had a good day out though, and saw 2 other boats!
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, purchasing, raymarine