Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2015, 08:04   #1

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore
Raymarine autopilot compatibility

Some asshats boarded my boat and stole my Raymarine chartplotter and my older model (Autohelm) autopilot main control box.

They left the linear drive unit. It is approx a 1996-era Type 1 linear drive. Are these compatible with the new Raymarine autopilots?

If yes, I will stick with Raymarine for the obvious cost savings. If not, should I be looking at any other brands?

My old Raymarine chartplotter was mounted in a Navpod on the binnacle, which made it impossible to unmount and take with me when I leave the boat. The thieves just cut off the entire guard with the Navpod and the chartplotter and took the whole assembly.

I like the location of the chartplotter in front of the wheel where the Navpod had it, but I want one with a mounting bracket so I can quickly disconnect it and take it with me in the future.

Does anyone have a solution for a mount? Something like a Navpod but with a quick disconnect.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:41   #2

Boat: Dufour 310
Re: Raymarine autopilot compatibility

Your older type 1 will work fine with most autopilots. The Evo 200 should be good.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 19:44   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973

The drive will work with any AP; Raymarine components are interchangeable all the way back to the Autohelm systems of 20+ years ago
Old 19-05-2015, 09:41   #4

Boat: Pearson 36

Hi... I have a similiar problem, my old autohelm has a drive unit connected directly to the rudder post and an old type 100/300 course computer. There is no main control head, and my st600r handheld is frapped. Can any Sea Talk control head be made to work with this computer? What about a control head designed for a tiller pilot?
There is currently a used Autohelm 3000 unit available for sale in my area, would it work with my drive unit... I am assuming that it would be wired directly to the drive unit, without the course computer... thanks, Erik M

Erik Meden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 09:59   #5

Boat: Caliber 40

"They left the linear drive unit. It is approx a 1996-era Type 1 linear drive. Are these compatible with the new Raymarine autopilots?"

In the spring of 2013 I replaced my 1995 ST6000 Autohelm course computer and ST60 control head with a new Raymarine SPX-30 course computer and P-70 control head.

The new system drives the Type 1 (converted to Type 2 in March 2013) Linear Drive that I installed in the spring of 1995. There was absolutely no problem with the conversion, relative to the Linear Drive.

BUT, there was some struggle with connecting the three other ST60 instruments to the SPX-30 course computer. Raymarine has several excellent guides and charts showing how to interface the old and new cabling / signal protocols.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 10:21   #6

Boat: Pearson 36

Great, thanks Tacoma Sailor. I will look for raymarines guides on that.
My drive unit has a model # z039 0970041 on it, preceded by a large CE. The used autohelm 3000 that I am considering is not sea talk, any further general advice on compatibilty from anyone is hugely appreciated. I am looking for a low cost means of being able to maintain a course and tack the boat, nothing more.
Erik Meden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 10:39   #7

Boat: Caliber 40

Raymarine has a very good technical assistance forum where I received a lot of good advice:

Replace 1995 Type 100/ST6000/Linear Drive Type 1 - Raymarine Technical Forum
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine