Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2015, 05:01   #1

Boat: Logan 33
Raymarine autohelm type 1 hydraulic pump/drive repair

My Autohelm ST 5000+ seems fine but the drive not working.
The drive was noisy but started showing error "drive stop" on the autohelm, and now makes a ticking noise like the motor wants to run but is somehow jammed.
The drive has "A12010 1210043" on a label and I assume is the predecessor to the M81120.

Local service folk advise it is not worth paying for repair, but due to the cost of a new one (well over $1000) I wonder if i might try myself. I haven't dismantled as yet but looks straight forward.
Should motor/gears/pump run for short bursts without hydraulic lines connected? (i.e. To bench test)
I suspect the motor is fine, can the gearbox and hydraulic pump be removed and serviced?

I know a new one would be nice but.....I see motors are available, maybe the pump side is as well?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 14:45   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Raymarine autohelm type 1 hydraulic pump/drive repair

Often these motors get jammed up with carbon material as the brushes wear. You may be able to clean the motor and replace the brushes and salvage your system. If I were going to do it I would try to replace the bearings as well but I don't know how difficult that would be. Keep us informed about your project. And remember that cleanliness is paramount when dealing with hydraulic systems. Cap your hoses and pump inlet/outlet if you disconnect the hoses.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 15:04   #3

Thanks for that; certainly feel this might be rescuable. Drive is now on my bench, one of the two cap screws securing the motor is 'seized', so wondering if I can take off the end unit first, (maybe the reduction gears) which would give me access to the whole head of this cap screw. CRC and patience required!

Old 29-05-2015, 16:29   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I found one (motor + head) on eBay years ago...brand new at a fraction of Raymarine retail price...still in service now.

Have never found head and motor separate. The motor is just a motor so within reason could be rebuilt.

I have my previous pump head with leaky seals (otherwise in good shape), but have yet to be able to remove the seals, must be pressed in. Plan to take it to a hydro shop and see what they can do.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 16:54   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

They are all made for Raymarine by a company called Hypro.co.uk or Hydraulic projects... Raymarine told me this after a lightning strike killed my pump... Having said that they are NOT cheap for parts
Old 30-05-2015, 13:34   #6

Thanks for these helpful comments. I'm yet to get it apart, one seized cap screw remaining. Has anyone taken these apart before?

Old 30-05-2015, 13:51   #7

Ive removed the pump head before but never cracked the motor open. Most small electric motors have a couple of long bolts that run the length of the motor. I assume this one is the same, but don't know for sure.

Small electric motors are pretty simple. Only a few things to go wrong with them that are reasonable to repair (brushes and bearings for exmaple). Nigel Clalder gives a good overview in his "Boatowners..." book.
Old 30-05-2015, 14:58   #8

Thanks again. 1 of the 4 screws holding the 2 sections of the drive together is sheared. I'll try to break these sections apart and hope nothing falls out of place that can't be reinstated.

Then I can also get at the entire head of 1 of the 2 screws holding the drive to the motor, and get them apart. I'll cut the head off if I have to.

Then I can get the end of the 2 screws holding the motor together (as you quite rightly mentioned) because they just turn, in place, so I need to get at both ends.

Incidentally the motor and drive now run freely (but rather noisy!) so something has been dislodged in either the motor or drive. Raining hard here so good day to do this.

Old 30-05-2015, 15:34   #9

The internals of the pump head are really simple. Just a couple of gear/impellers, a shaft to drive them, some seals, and internal check valves.

The motor should be quite simple too. Not much to fall out that can't be just put back in place.

The noise could be bearings or internal corrosion in the motor.
Old 30-05-2015, 15:56   #10

That's what I was hoping, about to attack it now! along with a noisy alternator with a diode probably gone.

Old 30-05-2015, 16:24   #11

If the Alternator is noisy that's likely bearings too. If you turn the shaft gently by hand you can feel worn bearings. It should turn smoothly and freely. If its not smooth, feels like its got fine sand in it, then its likely the bearings.

Similar for the motor. After disassembly give the shaft a gentle turn with you fingers while holding the bearing race stationary...if it feels "gritty" then the bearings are bad or soon will be.
Old 30-05-2015, 21:03   #12

2 fastenings from middle section to motor are out, and 4 fastenings from right hand section to the middle section are out, but none of this wants to come apart.
I can lever the motor away from the middle section by 2 mm or so, but the middle and right hand sections are solid. belizesailor have you actually taken these apart? Should the motor come away cleanly? Like always this will be obvious and easy once done!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080355.JPG
Views:	651
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	102978  
Old 30-05-2015, 21:59   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Try putting a screw driver into the head of the screw on the motor and tapping the screw driver with a hammer. Don't wail on it but give it a few sharp taps and see if that loosens up the threads.
I'm wondering if you need to get access to the pump internals to loosen a set screw that is binding the motor shaft to the pump. What is that rusty round thing on the top of the pump housing?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 22:41   #14

I need to load better photos. The rusty nut covers the spring loaded ball bearing check valve. Same in other side.

The two screw holding the motor have the nut in a recessed area on the left (of that photo) so I can barely get nose pliers on to the nut. The other end has a slotted head, and is in a deeper reassess between the motor and drive ( the middle section).

I can lever the drive off the motor using that latter recess, but it feels springy, i.e. something seems to be holding them together!?

I need X-ray eyes! a diagram, or someone who has been here.

Old 30-05-2015, 23:15   #15

Re another of your points, I can't separate the two sections of the drive/pump. 3 screws are out, 1 is sheared. If I could separate the pump sections then yes I might find something that is holding the motor to the pump.

Tags
autohelm, helm, marine, raymarine