Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2016, 07:58   #1

Boat: Oceanis 40
Raymarine AIS650 - Change MMSI number...

Hi there,

Does anyone have experience with this?

I have registered my boat in a different country and I have been assigned a new MMSI and call sign. The Raymarine AIS software will not allow me to change the MMSI number. The manual indicates I need to have a dealer do it for me... The dealers I have called in Le Havre (France) all say they have to send it to Raymarine in the UK. Sigh...

Anyone have a workaround or suggestions?
AFKASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 08:13   #2

Re: Raymarine AIS650 - Change MMSI number...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKASAP View Post
Hi there,

Does anyone have experience with this?

I have registered my boat in a different country and I have been assigned a new MMSI and call sign. The Raymarine AIS software will not allow me to change the MMSI number. The manual indicates I need to have a dealer do it for me... The dealers I have called in Le Havre (France) all say they have to send it to Raymarine in the UK. Sigh...

Anyone have a workaround or suggestions?
FFS

I reflagged and have a new MMSI also. I was prepared to rip out my VHF and either send it for reprogramming or buy a new one, however I was expecting that I could reprogram my AIS650 myself

Old 27-04-2016, 08:34   #3

I called several dealers in Le Havre, they all said I must ship my AIS to the UK for reprograming.

I called the Raymarine UK office. They told me that all the dealers have access to special dealer software that can reprogram the MMSI. I explained that none of the dealers I have spoken to knew about this software. Raymarine UK said I should call Raymarine France. So I called Raymarine France... They also don't know that dealers have access to this special dealer software. They said I should ship my unit to the UK.

Talk about going around in circles.

So I called Raymarine UK again and spoke to the same person who told me the same thing again that all the dealers have this special software. He has agreed to send an email to Raymaine France to find a resolution.

So far... this is is turing out to be a real pain in the butt.

Can't wait to hear how much this is going to cost!
Old 27-04-2016, 09:00   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The French don't talk to the English--what a shock!
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 10:11   #5

Hopefully it will be as simple as the dealer logging onto the dealer login page and finding the service software to download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The French don't talk to the English--what a shock!
where does this come from?
Old 28-04-2016, 08:55   #6

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

In the USA, AIS class B transponder must be programmed only once with MMSI number. And it must be done by dealers before being sent to customer. This is mandatory. The end user is not allowed to modify the MMSI programming.

So, it make sens that no software is available world wide at the end user level to allow MMSI reprogramming.

When I purchased my Em-Track B300 AIS transponder in Canada, it came with the software to allow programming the MMSI number, but the programming could be done only once. Better do it right the very first time !

I agree though, that a good dealers should be aware of that and should have the right software to allow reprogramming.
Those devices are quite expensive after all, they must have a good margin on selling those, to allow sufficient training.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 09:12   #7

Well I have good news (for me). I am not sure exactly how, but I got a call this morning to say that someone would come to my boat and have a look at my AIS.

This afternoon two tech guys turned up (with a tool box, a laptop and several cables). Unfortunately their laptop had a flat battery and they did not have their charger.

Unable to communicate with them as they only spoke French, I booted up my laptop and showed them that I was unable to change the MMSI with the software, ProAIS2, which is downloadable from the Raymarine website.

They pulled out their cell phone and read the instructions that had been emailed to them on how to update the MMSI. Unfortunately their instructions were in English... So I helped them translate the instructions with Google Translate. Long story short, if you know what you are doing, it should take no more than 3 mins to update the MMSI.

It is in fact done with the same software the end user has (ProAIS2). However, what the end user does not know, is the commands that need to be entered into ProAIS2 to remove the existing MMSI.

I am told I need to pay 50 EUR for the service. Not too bad I guess, although I did practically end up doing it myself.

Good luck to anyone who needs to update their MMSI.
Old 28-04-2016, 09:42   #8

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Could you share the procedure with us ?
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 10:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
Could you share the procedure with us ?
I am sorry, I do not know what commands they used to do the reset the unit with.
Old 28-04-2016, 11:31   #10

I found a page with many commands for the ProAIS2 software. It indicates that AIS from several manufacturers share the same motherboard and it's possible that if they supply ProAIS2 with their AIS, then maybe the commands are also the same.

A reset command is also included.

http://www.stw.fr/forumstw/att_file/...file_53201.pdf

No idea if any of it will work.
Old 30-04-2016, 10:39   #11

there is a hidden mouse click box on the garmin software and passwords for resetting. I have done it before. but garmin uses it's own software not proais2.

I will have to look at the proais commends. I haven't need to reset a raymarine before. the furno fa50 is also resettable I think from the user. or maybe I was on the phone with them for how too, can't remember.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 00:31   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 42 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I found a page with many commands for the ProAIS2 software. It indicates that AIS from several manufacturers share the same motherboard and it's possible that if they supply ProAIS2 with their AIS, then maybe the commands are also the same.

A reset command is also included.

http://www.stw.fr/forumstw/att_file/...file_53201.pdf

No idea if any of it will work.
Tried it on Raymarine AIS650, did not work.
offpist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by offpist View Post
Tried it on Raymarine AIS650, did not work.
I tried as well and nothing...

Had to send my AIS650 to Athens and for some reason, it was not a same day turn around job. It probably only takes them a couple of minutes to plug in the power and USB cable, boot up their PC and do the reset, but no, they want to sit on it for days.

As a result, I did not get it back before I flew home.

One day before I dropped the AIS in, I dropped my Epirb in for reprogramming and it went to Athens and returned in plenty of time

Tags
ais, marine, raymarine