Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-06-2016, 14:32   #16

Boat: Logan 33
Re: Raymainre Autopilot Pump Rebuild

Maybe the seal has seized itself to the aluminium?
What about dissolving the remaining rubber. MEK, thinners or other solvent, or even an acid??

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 20-06-2016, 15:55   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveNZ View Post
Maybe the seal has seized itself to the aluminium?
What about dissolving the remaining rubber. MEK, thinners or other solvent, or even an acid??

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Could be, but Im not the only one whose encountered this issue. I would be surprised if all consistently siezed. I suspect they were somehow pressed in.

Old 20-06-2016, 19:57   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Well Today has not been a good day. Just like everyone else I have not been able to get the seal out of the old pump, but that's the good news. The Bad news is that today I got my new pump, but it's not the same pump. It has the same part number, but it's a totally different pump. The ports on the new pump come out of the face, not out of the top. The pictures on many web sites still show the old style type 1 pumps with the ports on the top, but don't be fooled, they will ship you the new style with the ports on the front. After I complained to my vendor he called Raymarine and was told that's the only pump they sell now. He asked what about customers that need replacements where the new style doesn't fit and was told sorry not our problem. Now my choice is try to put some fittings together to move the ports or run two new hydraulic lines and drill new holes in the bulkhead to make them fit. What was a simple pump swap is now turning into a major project. I will be making a personal call to Raymarine tomorrow to thank them for throwing their existing customers under the bus.
Old 21-06-2016, 05:45   #19

Yes, Raymarine appears to have a diliberate strategy of not supporting backwards compatibility. Same with their electronics. The old style pumps still show up on eBay.

Another motivation to fix the old head. Ive got the old pump motor too which stil works just fine. It was in a well protected location so looks almost like new, so probably no internal issues either (though I will tear down and inspect and clean).

Plan to find a hydraulic shop that has no Raymarine affiliation. I think that was the issue at the last one.
Old 21-06-2016, 07:45   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Does anyone have any experience with Octopus autopilot pumps? They may be an alternative for those of us with Raymarine tread marks on our faces. They also seem a lot cheaper so I'ld like to get some feedback from people who have them before buying one.

Octopus | octopusdrives
Old 04-07-2016, 10:22   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

With the help of a friend I got the seal out of the old pump. He had a sharp awl and he laid the awl on the bevel going into the seal and put 6 dimples in the metal edge of the seal, at which time the seal came out easily. Earlier attempts managed to break the coupling between the motor and the pump drive shaft. Warning!!! it is plastic and breaks easily. Fortunately he has a lathe and was able to make a new one out of Delrin. What I have yet to find out is if Delrin is compatible with long term soaking in hydraulic fluid. The new oil seal pressed in fairly easily. This will now be my backup pump as I now have the new pump installed.

Oddly, with the new pump I am no occasionally getting an autopilot error "No drive Detected" which I never got before. Fortunately it only seems to happen when manually engaging of disengaging the auto pilot and clears by cycling back to standby and re-engaging once or twice. Unfortunately for troubleshooting purposes I just applied the most recent Raymarine software updates so I don't know if this is a problem with the new pump or the new software. Has anyone else seen this error with the new style pump?
Old 04-07-2016, 14:26   #22

Thats good news! I will try that technique when Im back at the boat.

Tags
autopilot, rebuild

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: