Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2018, 21:06   #1

Boat: Islander 36 1977
ray marine st4000+ spoke clamps

Ray marine wheel spoke clams. These are 20 dollars a piece on the web, and they are the same cheap plastic. I made these for less than 2 dollars out of a stainless hose clamp; I got at Home Depot in the electrical section. It was quality stainless, I checked it with a magnet. I only used 1 large clamp.
I will call the spots where the screws go through the spoke clamp the feet( 2 feet per clamp). I simply laid the strap on one foot, and marked the distance of the foot on the strap. Next I grabbed that portion of the strap with a pair of pliers, and bent it to 90 degrees. Then I bent the strap around the wheel spoke; once again bend another 90, and cut to the size of the foot. It's better to leave the strap a little long, you can cut them to size after making the holes. I marked the center on each new stainless feet and scribed a line from the bend to the outside of the foot. I centered the line over the hub screw hole , and used a drill bit to mark the point. I used a punch to make a point of entry then drilled a hole. I then placed it over the wheel spoke and screwed in the drilled side to the hub. Next I marked the other side, punched, and drilled the second hole. I had to tap on the new spoke clamp a little in the bend once mounted to the wheel so they would take the shape of the spoke. It was pretty easy and worth my time; it took a little over an hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spoke clamp.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	168459  
Moltensurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine