Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2007, 22:50   #31

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentine View Post
The U.S. required licensing in the past but removed the requirement. The theory is that if one is required to have a certain piece of equipment, one can't be forced to get a license. I don't expect to see VHF licensing anytime in the near future if ever.
For most boaters, a shipboard marine radio no longer requires a license, unless you "visit foreign ports."
In these cases you are supposed to have a marine station license and operators license, too. The fees used to be modest, $5 or so, then some sweeping reform ("can't charge for manditory regulation") caused them to be abolished entirely.
I don't understand the reasoning. Recreational vessels in the U.S. under 20 meters are not required to have a VHF. Could the theory be they dropped the license requirement to encourage people to buy radios for safety?

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 23:27   #32

Here in North by God Carolina. We have to endure listening to the Deer Hunters running their dogs during deer season. "Hey, Buster ya'll need to get over by where Jimmy Bob kilt dat dare buck grave yard dead wiffin his first shot lass yeah, da dawgs be up dare doncha know." 22A is the favorite station. What we need to do is a Fox Hunt and track them down and turn them in to Riley Hollingsworth before he retires. Maybe a $10,000 Fine from the FCC will fix this.

Fair Winds,

Bill
Bill Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 23:43   #33

Believe it or not...this is the transcript of an actual radio conversation between a US naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995. The Radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on Oct. 10, 1995.
US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.
CND reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.
CND reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!
US Ship: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS CORAL SEA*, WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!

CND reply: This is a lighthouse. Your call.
Cracks me up,
Bill
Old 29-12-2007, 00:19   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mc View Post
Believe it or not...this is the transcript of an actual radio conversation between a US naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995. The Radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on Oct. 10, 1995.
US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.
CND reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.
CND reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!
US Ship: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS CORAL SEA*, WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!
CND reply: This is a lighthouse. Your call.
Cracks me up,
Bill
Great story, makes me smile everytime I see it, but it's urban legend.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Lighthouse and Aircraft Carrier

The US Navy

John
Old 29-12-2007, 08:01   #35

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentine View Post
The U.S. required licensing in the past but removed the requirement. The theory is that if one is required to have a certain piece of equipment, one can't be forced to get a license. I don't expect to see VHF licensing anytime in the near future if ever.
For most boaters, a shipboard marine radio no longer requires a license, unless you "visit foreign ports."
In these cases you are supposed to have a marine station license and operators license, too. The fees used to be modest, $5 or so, then some sweeping reform ("can't charge for manditory regulation") caused them to be abolished entirely.
Hmmm.

My understanding was that that the U.S. requires a station license for any VHF marine radio. Indeed, I had planned to get one before crossing the Lake next summer. Is this no longer the case?

Again, as I understand it, there had been negotiations between Canada and the U.S. to drop the station license requirement. Canada did so, but the U.S. balked after 9/11.

So now we are required to have an operator's license but the set itself doesn't have to be licensed -- unless we want to cross the border.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 08:45   #36

Boat: Nordic Tug - Tuffy
The only license I ever had was the station license required by the FCC (Federal Communications Commission). But apparently they became overwhelmed by the number of radios on the market and stopped requiring it on every radio. However, going to foreign ports it sounds like it is required.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=licensing&id=ship_stations

Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations. Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands), a license is required. Additionally, if you travel to a foreign port, you are required to have an operator permit.”

Another thing that should limit the number of “idiot” calls on 16 is the push for BSC registration on every radio. That way the CG will know who is making the call (I think).
mdfixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 09:23   #37

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
mdfixitman...interesting. So the US boats that cross the lake need a station license (although Canada doesn't care) and presumably I still need one to go the US, but if yer on inland waters, nothing is required, even (if we believe some of the other posters) common sense.

I'm sure there's a rationale somewhere.

As an aside, we get US visitors who use 16 to try to call marinas or yacht clubs and get no reply, since up here the shore stations monitor 68 (and indeed are allowed to use no other channel.) I must have heard four or five last summer.

Do marinas monitor 16 south of the border?

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 10:09   #38

Boat: Nordic Tug - Tuffy
Hi Connemara - I hope you get it because the rules don't seem real clear to me, and for that matter, the 20 year-old Coast Guard who boards you for an inspection probably wont know the current rules either.Marinas don’t usually monitor 16. You can get Vessel Assist or Harbor Patrol. Again, it’s a lack of education.
mdfixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 10:09   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Some do and then are supposed to change channel after initial contact.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 13:18   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Great story, makes me smile everytime I see it, but it's urban legend.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Lighthouse and Aircraft Carrier

The US Navy

John
Yea John But its still funny as hell.... I didn't post the 2 1/2 page diatribe that went with it to reduce my typing.

Fair Winds,

Bill
Old 29-12-2007, 13:46   #41

I Hope this helps;

http://wireless.fcc.gov/feesforms/fe...moperators.pdf

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/releases/da00-2439.pdf

If you leave the country (U.S.A.) for foreign ports of call your vessel needs a ships licence. That grants you permission to have VHF, Marine SSB, Radar or EPIRB aboard ship. A Restricted Radio Telegraph Licence is required by all that operate this equipment. A Ham Licence of General or Extra is required to operate on the HF Bands assingned to Amateur Radio.
Some Countries do not take kindly to individuals that interfere with their monopoly on communications. Hence, being a Documented Vessel is also a plus.

Just my .02¢

Fair Winds,

Bill
Old 29-12-2007, 17:01   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mc View Post
I Hope this helps;

http://wireless.fcc.gov/feesforms/fe...moperators.pdf

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/releases/da00-2439.pdf

If you leave the country (U.S.A.) for foreign ports of call your vessel needs a ships licence. That grants you permission to have VHF, Marine SSB, Radar or EPIRB aboard ship. A Restricted Radio Telegraph Licence is required by all that operate this equipment. A Ham Licence of General or Extra is required to operate on the HF Bands assingned to Amateur Radio.
Some Countries do not take kindly to individuals that interfere with their monopoly on communications. Hence, being a Documented Vessel is also a plus.

Just my .02¢

Fair Winds,

Bill
I don't think that you need the Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit if you stay in the country.

FCC - Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (RP)

John
Old 29-12-2007, 17:46   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiroo View Post
What that chart calls the NATO version is the true International version which is approved by the IMO...which is the governing body. Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Echo etc..is the correct way if you want to be understood internationally by nations who subscribe to the IMO which is all the major and minor shipping nations.

Using anything else might be confusing.

International Maritime Organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NATO phonetic alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I frequently hear people using the same phonetic alphabet the police use...which is different for many letters.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 18:23   #44

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

I frequently hear people using the same phonetic alphabet the police use...which is different for many letters.
You mean beta for bravo?

Hehehe
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 21:28   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I don't think that you need the Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit if you stay in the country.

FCC - Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (RP)

John
Correct, Nothing required for VHF in country (USA)

Tags
radio