Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-04-2014, 01:13   #61

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Re: Radar Saved My Azz Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
SO the logical next question is... what Radar does everyone have, or think is the minimum standard for a useful one?
Virtual are current models are fine. just one neads to know how to use them and that requires practise.

I personally like Furuno but don't think there is much between any thesedays.

Old 05-04-2014, 16:51   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I have a digital Simrad which I am very partial to. For those that say I just don't sail into fog- my approach exactly until I was out in the ocean and had to sail through fog to get into port! The fog wasn't there when we left! AIS is very useful in busy shipping channels, but thick fog often has fishing/small boats in it that do not ring the bell because they think nobody else would be out in that muck.
Finally, when traveling along the coast one night in the fog I kept on getting an intermittent signal from ahead. I would change course, then see it again- closer and straight in my path. Finally at one mile I get a crackly warning- sailboat with minimal power and no nav lights trying to get home to port. Passed him to port with less than a quarter of a mile and never did see him. Completely silent otherwise. Radar earned its worth that day.

Old 05-04-2014, 18:46   #63

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
And this is wherein all the problems lie. Dockheads 'generation' uses metres. Well, Im not sure of what generation Mr Dockead is in but my generation, and Im in my 50s used feet and inches... we used pounds and ounces and we used pounds shilling and pence.. (admittedly only until the 70s but the 60s were my learning period)... sue me.

Sailing is the one sport/pastime/lifestyle where we can freely mix all the different words and nod wisely as any Barnacle Bill reels off all the phrases, and yet although we know the words, we dont always know the exact measurements......

30 metres (meters) to me is as close to 100 feet as dammit. A 10 metre vessel to me is 33 foot give or take. I am not able to visual a metre without seeing it in feet.
When I work out body weight for medication quantities, I have to mentally convert into pounds and ounces to get a real feel for what Im doing.

So when Mr dockhead said the vessel was a couple of cables away, my mind immediately said "wow...... too close man!" without knowing the exact measurement.......... and caring even less...... having to spin the wheel hard over and quickly is too close. The EXACT measurement was irrelevent..

but whatever he said...... it was only a couple of feet away from disaster

Us old salts.. (farts, luddites.. etc.. insert favourite word here)
Yall can argue all you want about mesurments get technical the fact is the RADAR will help save your ass
Old 06-04-2014, 00:09   #64

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny2 View Post
Yall can argue all you want about mesurments get technical the fact is the RADAR will help save your ass
Don't forget a decent radar reflector too. Most are completely ineffective, but a good one really helps.

Onno
Old 07-04-2014, 06:04   #65

Radar Saved My Azz Yesterday

Many miles sailed with out it, but the day we hit fog and the freighter honked very close (we are talking almost wetting yourself close) convinced my wife and I we will get radar. Year 4 and I feel it has paid for itself several times with fog and seeing where the rain is. Where you sail can lessen the need, but it is a darn good tool.

And the reflector is way important...the freighter with the close encounter never answered our security calls and we never saw him or the sailboat we cut in front of.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:24   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I do not use a reflector now- I feel the AIS does the job. But I have it in our locker as a backup. Gregg- our freighter didn't honk, that is even scarier. I don't think he even noticed how close he passed us by. We were almost flotsam.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:26   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I do not use a reflector now- I feel the AIS does the job. But I have it in our locker as a backup. Gregg- our freighter didn't honk, that is even scarier. I don't think he even noticed how close he passed us by. We were almost flotsam.

AIS is on my list, do suggest the reflector...many crafts don't have AIS.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:15   #68
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Yep, once you have had and use radar, it's hard to go back.

Those who don't have it, don't know what they are missing. AIS is good as well.
Yep, I like gadgets! Yes, you can do without it, the boat still works.

However, when at sea, even in good weather, I normally have guard zones on for both AIS and radar. It is surprising how often the electronics "see" things before the watch keeper does!

Ours is a Lowrance 3G, with OpenCPN.... on a laptop.
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:55   #69

Boat: Jim Michalak designed 25' Caprice and Self Design 32' Shantymaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Ours is a Lowrance 3G, with OpenCPN.... on a laptop.
That caught my eye. I use OpenCPN as well...but I kind of assumed if you were shelling out for radar and AIS transponder, you'd be using some fancy plotter.

1: How does the radar talk to the laptop? I've seen the USB AIS stuff.
2: what do you like about CPN vs whatever else you could have?
Old 08-04-2014, 02:27   #70
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I dont see that they (Proprietary plotters) are worth the expense. I feel I get more from the laptop, for less $. Including email, office apps, internet etc etc. The Radar talks to the Laptop via ethernet. Works fine. I have radar overlays, AIS, Weather etc etc all with opencpn. Plugins for opencpn are available for Garmin and Navico/Simrad/Lowrance 3G and 4G radars. Have a look at my thread "free pc navigation software" under vendor spotlight on the upper right here on Cruiser Forum, or on my website. Happy to discuss via email if you want.
Cheers
Matt
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:52   #71

Thanks! My boats are too simple for all that. But I am envious of the ability! I love OpenCPN and use the APP (MX Mariner) on a tablet. I used to use my laptop with a puck on a bigger boat.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:43   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Simple fact is that not having radar:

1. Limits an already #1 priority of safe passage and schedules
2. Puts a vessel at an extreme safety disadvantage when needed...

Range and schedules should not be restricted by equipment gaps....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:30   #73

Re #1...I think most would agree the most UNSAFE sailing act is to have a schedule. If you think having a radar changes that, that's a much bigger problem.

I won't argue the need, just glad you don't get to decide what's safe for me. I'd never go engineless, but I'd never be so pompous as to declare it unsafe.

(If I keep going backwards in my boat complexity I'll probably end up paddling a canoe, but so far every step back has brought me more happiness and peace. YMMV :-))
Old 08-04-2014, 08:14   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Re #1...I think most would agree the most UNSAFE sailing act is to have a schedule. If you think having a radar changes that, that's a much bigger problem.

I won't argue the need, just glad you don't get to decide what's safe for me. I'd never go engineless, but I'd never be so pompous as to declare it unsafe.

(If I keep going backwards in my boat complexity I'll probably end up paddling a canoe, but so far every step back has brought me more happiness and peace. YMMV :-))
Of course it's not unsafe in every case to sail without radar, nor is it unsafe in every case to sail without an engine. Nor is it even unsafe in every case to have a schedule!! These categorical statements are a little silly.

Radar is pretty unnecessary for many sailors - those who sail mostly in daylight, in boats small enough to duck out of shipping channels, etc.

Not everyone can avoid sailing to any kind of schedule -- sometimes you have a tide to catch or work to get back to or whatever, and you can't always just wait for absolutely ideal conditions. Some people have a lot of flexibility with regard to time (especially retired people!); many others can't avoid absolutely any time constraint. Having a reliable, powerful engine and radar and good skills and a decent crew will greatly extend the range of conditions in which you can sail safely. I find fog terrifying even with radar and AIS, but I am absolutely comfortable sailing at night, and I am ok with night pilotage, at least in harbors I have visited before.
Old 08-04-2014, 19:37   #75

All very true. No right boat or equipment for all cases.

Tags
radar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: