Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2009, 13:37   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
radar repair

I went to turn on my radar the other day and the screen turned on but there were no targets. I went thru the manual it said to check and see if the magnetron was set to spin. I checked and it was. The other thing it said to do was to check the cable? How do you check and see if the cable is ok? Am I going to need to bring the radar to a marine electronics tech?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 15:31   #2

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Disconnect your cable to your radar on both ends and check with a VOM to see if it is open or grounded to the shield. I assume the cable is coax.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 17:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Disconnect your cable to your radar on both ends and check with a VOM to see if it is open or grounded to the shield. I assume the cable is coax.
It is a thick cable with about 12 ormore wires running thru it. As I understand it it runs a number of different operations in the magnetron.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 22-04-2009, 18:51   #4

Then I assume it is a plug in..short two colors on one end and test for short on the other. You need to prove continuity. Most of the time cable problems are termination problems. Examine as much of the cable as you can so as to look for damage. This may not be a cable problem.
Old 22-04-2009, 21:39   #5

thanks I'll see if that is possible

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 22-04-2009, 21:50   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Switch the gain to manual and increase it slowly. If targets show up before the screen becomes one big target, it's the magnetron that needs to be replaced. I'm there too ;-)

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 21:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Switch the gain to manual and increase it slowly. If targets show up before the screen becomes one big target, it's the magnetron that needs to be replaced. I'm there too ;-)

cheers,
Nick.
I can see the range lines etc but I don't see any targets. The radar does not have many hours on it. Under 1000. I'll have to check the gain again but I think that was the first thing that I tried.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 23-04-2009, 00:06   #8

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Does the radar tune? I assume you use auto tuning now? So, is the tuning bar blank or is it partially filled? With only 1000 hrs, it's unlikely that the magnetron will have to be replaced due to wear, it's more likely you are suffering from error due to lack of use. Corrosion etc. If your hearing is still intact, the fastest and easiest way to check if the radar is transmitting is by listening to it. Set it to a scale > 24 miles and go listen, keep your head under the radome, about 2 feet and you will hear a very ditinct high pitched continous beep.

There could be a hundred problems but corrotion and a bad connection is the most likely. Good luck!

By the way, what kind of radar is it? Brand, model and year?

/Hampus
Old 23-04-2009, 03:07   #9

radar problems

You said you can see range rings (and I assume you can adjust them) can you see the sweep?
Old 23-04-2009, 09:57   #10

The radar is a 36 mile furuno. It was installed two owners ago in what looks like a good maner in 1996. I can get you the model # later today. I tried both auto tunning and manual tuning and was not able to get any targets. I cannot see the sweep. I just remembered something. When installing some other electronics i had to remove the CRT. while working on the other electronics the CRT hung from its wire for a matter of ten seconds or so. It was a short fall maybe a foot and the way the wires are zip tied it did not make a pull directly on the plug. The fall did not make a loud noise I just sort of noticed it so I don't think that it was violent but it could have been enough to upset the wires. How can I test the cable?

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 23-04-2009, 12:44   #11

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I cannot see the sweep.
No sweep and no noise? Then you're not getting any video from the antenna. The fall of the CRT could have something to do with it. Check the cable for continuity. Also check the radome for oxidation.

/Hampus
Old 23-04-2009, 12:48   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
As a retired electronics tech, I agree with Hampus . You have no video reaching the CRT. Look for a bad connection most likely a shielded cable in the connector. It's possible it could be a circuit board break in the display where the connector mounts to the board.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 13:08   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I'd suspect the cable, too, but I had those symptoms appear on a one year old Raymarine radar. It turned out the the tech that installed the radome set it down flat on the SS mounting plate on the pole and thus blocked the weep hole. That allowed condensed moisture to collect until it ruined the innards. They gave me a new radome at no charge.
Old 23-04-2009, 17:40   #14

I'll do a close inspection of the cables. As far as checking for continuity how would I do that? From the manual it looks like there are 29 pins that are connected thru this cable. I would need to run a wire from one end of the cable to the next and then have some kind of small probe that would fit inside the connectors. Is there an easier way? If I brought the CRT unit to a furuno dealer would they be able to bench test it for me?

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 23-04-2009, 19:57   #15

I would get another person on the other end and call his (her) cell phone from mine and have the pins shorted together and test for short from the other end ont he same 2 pins. If there are 24 then you have 12 checks to make. If it is a plug, male one end and female the other yuou could prob use a paper clip on the female and check for short on the male would be one way.

Tags
radar