Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2009, 15:36   #16

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Mule has a good way of doing it.

If you bring your CRT to a technitian he can test it but you should bring the entire radar. I'm a marine electronics technitian myself and 8 times out of 10, the customer only brings the BDE (below deck equipment) for testing. Just as often, 8 times of 10, the error is in the cable or the antenna, which makes perfect sense. Cable and antenna are exposed to temperature fluctuations, salt, water, wind, sunlight, birds and all kinds of mechanical wear. The BDE is often mounted in a warm and cosy place and seldom breaks down. So, having just the BDE tested is like having a bad engine in the car and only bringing the carburetor to the mechanic.
Old 24-04-2009, 16:53   #17

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
The unit is 13 years old and the cost of repair is greater than the value of the unit. There have been great improvements in the radar world in a few short years like broadband. Get rid of the old thing and buy one that will last for another 13 years.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 19:07   #18

Boat: Sceptre 41
I just want to find out if there is something simple and/or inexpensive to fix the radar. It worked fine last time Itried it a couple of months ago. It may be 13 years old but it doesn't have much time on it. There other ways I'd rather spend a couple of boat bucks.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 04:15   #19

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Charlie!
It's most likely an easy fix and it's well worth a couple of $100 to have it fixed. Especially considering what you'd have to pay for a new one. If you don't use the RADAR a lot, and from the hours you stated, you don't there really is no point in buying a new one, spending $2000. Most marine electronics companies won't charge anything for testing it if it turns out that it's impossible to repair, and you buy a new one from them. They are also likely to give you a discount on the new unit if you hand in the old one. They sell it as spare parts or use it to repair other radars. You have nothing to loose from having it checked.

Best of luck!

/Hampus
Old 25-04-2009, 05:31   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Cable Continuity:
To perform a continuity test on a cable, set the multimeter to test the lowest possible ohm scale (Rx1) and work your way up. Attach the test probes to matching wires (or connector pins) within a cable, and the resistance will drop to near zero if the cable is good, or towards infinity if it is open.

When the probes are disconnected from the cable, the multimeter will display infinite (high) resistance. On an analog meter, the pointer will remain on the peg at the left end of the scale. There will normally be an infinity symbol at this end of the scale. (On a digital multimeter, infinite resistance is often indicated by the numeral 1 without a decimal.)

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 08:31   #21

Boat: Sceptre 41
Thanks Gord:

The probes on my Ohm meter are too big to fit in the connector pins. I Was thinking of using a paper clip and sticking it in the connector and then testing thatThe other thing that would be difficult would be to figure out which pins on one end match with the pins on the other end. I'll have to try though. The radar doesn't have very many hours. It would be easier if I could borrow a cable that I knew to be working and just plug that in in between the CRT and the magnetron.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 17:42   #22

that should be fairly easy to obtain. what you would need is a megger to properly test the cable, an Ohm meter might read falsely. IMHO it would be worth the $100 to call out a pro to test everything and then fix/replace yourself if possible.

Tags
radar