Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2011, 22:11   #301
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
Re: Radar or Not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Most who sail anywhere of great distance realize they aren't going to use radar every night- unless in conditions like fog. Even in dark night, you should be able to see an unlit fishing boat or any other object. We have never had any problems-even in a new moon. We can turn on radar if we see anything suspicious but it is not kept on unless needed or coming into a new cove.
If your power budget is that stingy, you need to rethink your charging system. Modern radar can be set to intermittent use, and can be quite economical in terms of electrical draw. Unless I'm sailing a deep broad reach in light air, it's the rare night when I can't run my radar, nav lights and autopilot off the wind generator.

I'm colorblind, and therefore have above-average night vision. But I don't see a tenth as well as my radar sees at night.
__________________

__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 22:47   #302
Registered User
 
Sailor g's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

If your power budget is that stingy, you need to rethink your charging system. Modern radar can be set to intermittent use, and can be quite economical in terms of electrical draw. Unless I'm sailing a deep broad reach in light air, it's the rare night when I can't run my radar, nav lights and autopilot off the wind generator.

I'm colorblind, and therefore have above-average night vision. But I don't see a tenth as well as my radar sees at night.
Not a power issue. Just don't feel we need radar on full time.
__________________

__________________
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 04:56   #303
Registered User
 
psneeld's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Avalon, NJ
Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Posts: 1,831
Re: Radar or Not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Most who sail anywhere of great distance realize they aren't going to use radar every night- unless in conditions like fog. Even in dark night, you should be able to see an unlit fishing boat or any other object. We have never had any problems-even in a new moon. We can turn on radar if we see anything suspicious but it is not kept on unless needed or coming into a new cove.
You are on the track I put in one of may last posts...the difference between coastal and offshore cruising. Traffic densities dictate the real need/use for radar and ais...most people's arguments here show how little they are really looking at the big picture and are arguing to argue...or hey actually think people should do as they do.
__________________
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 05:49   #304
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Radar or Not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svWindfall View Post
It's the same principle as having a motorcycle...if you have a $10 head then get the $10 helmet. My crew and safety is worth all the "tools" I can afford and have aboard, radar and AIS is just part of those tools.
I've got a $10 helmet If anyone thinks that the price of a helmet reduces the risk of an accident they need their head examined . Techonolgy never fully compensates for ignorance. But IME some people are just happier living in the land of stupidity and in the west we have a vast "Safety" industry built around it, both private sector and gubberment...........

Obviously the areas that folk are based (or cruise) in varies wildly. Personally I am quite surprised that so many are in areas that are foggy 24/7, have both vast commercial shipping traffic and even more looney pleasure boats.........and it's always nightime In those circumstances I too would be watching a TV screen - just not on a boat when navigating.

Sometimes I really wonder if I am undertaking the same activity as others .

Kinda like putting a sidecar (or trailor) on a Honda Goldwing. Yeah, it's still motorcycling and about enjoying the freedom of the road blah, blah, blah - but IMO kinda misses the point.........but each to there own etc etc.
__________________
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 13:34   #305
Registered User
 
xymotic's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,076
Re: Radar or Not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Obviously the areas that folk are based (or cruise) in varies wildly. Personally I am quite surprised that so many are in areas that are foggy 24/7, have both vast commercial shipping traffic and even more looney pleasure boats.........and it's always nightime In those circumstances I too would be watching a TV screen
For a minute there I thought you meant the PNW. But you didn't mention constant rain.
__________________
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 13:41   #306
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: Radar or Not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I've got a $10 helmet If anyone thinks that the price of a helmet reduces the risk of an accident they need their head examined . Techonolgy never fully compensates for ignorance. But IME some people are just happier living in the land of stupidity and in the west we have a vast "Safety" industry built around it, both private sector and gubberment...........

Obviously the areas that folk are based (or cruise) in varies wildly. Personally I am quite surprised that so many are in areas that are foggy 24/7, have both vast commercial shipping traffic and even more looney pleasure boats.........and it's always nightime In those circumstances I too would be watching a TV screen - just not on a boat when navigating.

Sometimes I really wonder if I am undertaking the same activity as others .

Kinda like putting a sidecar (or trailor) on a Honda Goldwing. Yeah, it's still motorcycling and about enjoying the freedom of the road blah, blah, blah - but IMO kinda misses the point.........but each to there own etc etc.

Lets apply risk management to bike riding.

Being small and particually your electric bike vs a large bike visability and being seen of a bike rider by motorist is NO 1 issue in accidents.

I hope you wear high visability retro reflective jacket to be seen. I am afraid its hard to be sympathic towards a bike rider wearing all black and a black helmet that is same colour as road pavement.

Safe riding but please be High Viz. Like adding radar reflector by small vessel in heavy traffic. End of rant
__________________

__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
radar

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Furuno 1715 Radar Unit Review kirkalittle Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 15 28-10-2014 08:51
Radar and Chartplotter sailorboy1 Navigation 10 10-10-2011 08:06
Collision Avoidance in Mexico: AIS or Radar or ? no_bad_days Pacific & South China Sea 27 19-09-2011 16:40
Raymarine C70 - GPS / Radar Interface Troubleshooting Nashira Marine Electronics 1 25-08-2011 00:36
Getting a Radar Arch - Now Where Do I Put Everything ? GeoPowers Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 16 16-08-2011 06:02



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.