Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2015, 15:53   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Radar or not ....

I like radar, don't really need it BUT it generally helps me avoid some thunder bumpers. Also lets me know when it's time to put on the foulies....sigh...

On boring night watches it's kind of fun to identify other traffic and see how long it takes to spot them with binoculars.

Useful, interesting, but I wouldn't change plans if it weren't working. Just saying.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 16:04   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
AIS/DSC does not replace radar for night sailing.
dump that impression and keep a good watch.
AIS's main advantage is that other ships can see YOU better. It only let's you see other people that transmit AIS.
Doesn't replace radar--but does a better job of letting you see the big traffic out there at any distance.

The DSC radio combined with AIS DOES let THEM see you better--because the moment you call them on the DSC (bridge-to-bridge call) you pop up on their own screen (if they're a ship with AIS/plotter because the DSC sends YOUR position along with your MSI number when you call them. Its a great feature of having DSC. Other thing--instead you hailing them on 16 with "hey, big ship on my port bow" you are direct dialing their bridge, no party line.
Old 23-10-2015, 02:39   #18

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
Doesn't replace radar--but does a better job of letting you see the big traffic out there at any distance.

The DSC radio combined with AIS DOES let THEM see you better--because the moment you call them on the DSC (bridge-to-bridge call) you pop up on their own screen (if they're a ship with AIS/plotter because the DSC sends YOUR position along with your MSI number when you call them. Its a great feature of having DSC. Other thing--instead you hailing them on 16 with "hey, big ship on my port bow" you are direct dialing their bridge, no party line.
i know we are on the same page here, and one can not advocated the use of AIS enough. it is just that it needs to be clear that these are 2 different systems with 2 different applications.
understanding their limitations is equaly important than understanding their capabilities.

seeing the big traffic out there is less important than beeing seen by the big traffic out there -> AIS

radar is to let you see those that are not big, lit up like bonfire and broadcasting on all channels.
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 05:10   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

I hope the OP goes ahead with his trip w/o radar and doesn't get all wrapped around the axle about needing it. We sailed many years w/o radar and yes that did sometimes mean staying at anchor or in port because it was too foggy. We occasionally were caught in unexpected coastal fog at night where there were loads of fishing boats with and without AIS--a bit unnerving but unusual and not the normal situation.

Radar doesn't fix everything. It is also unnerving to see a boat visually but have the radar totally miss it --that can happen and is worthy of discussion in another topic, hot here.

Fair winds,
Old 23-10-2015, 07:27   #20

GPS is way more valuable than radar. If your going to get a radar in the future, get the combi system with gps and radar on the same digital screen. That way you know where you are and what is coming towards you. BTW: Practical Sailor years ago basically showed the various things folks raise up the masts to get noticed by others' radar really are not very effective.
If your in major shipping lanes, you can get real time commercial vessel location info via the web, assuming you got web capabilities on board.
Or just do what we did back in the 1960s and keep a lookout, a compass, plotting sheets, a good clock, and a sextant. Good enough to get across the pond and back.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 07:47   #21

Boat: C&C 40 CB

I have a Raymarine dome that someone gave me. I'll give it to you if you pay the shipping.
Spinbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 08:20   #23

Boat: Bayfield 40

Me again. We do have two GPS units on the boat. Our Raymarine radar was a combo unit with dome and chartplotter, so I'm been spoiled with a great unit for 6 years of cruising to the Bahamas. Both units need to be replaced. So for now, the question is going ahead with GPS, Chris Parker for weather and AIS/DSC radio. And I believe it's a go! Fog has never been our issue ... we've used the radar just for weather and at night.

Thanks for all the feedback.
nknowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 09:01   #24

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Raymarine is notorious for their lack of product support (both technical and replacement parts) once a particular model is replaced. Wherever possible, I'd avoid investing too much in their systems unless you are either flush with money or plan to sell your boat in the next couple of years.

Our Furuno radar gave up the ghost before our last bash up the outside of Baja California. Fortunately, we have an AIS transponder aboard, so we can see large commercial shipping as well as many private yachts and fishing boats that can be found transiting the Pacific side of Baja. Aside from being able to navigate around storm cells at night and providing better resolution during heavy fog (neither of which were problems in June), being without radar wasn't missed. Having experience making anchorages and entrances to both Bahia Magdalena and Bahia Tortugas, radar, while indispensable for first time approaches and helpful at night, wasn't a game stopper.

As with many who have posted, my early years on the water (50+ years ago) was spent without much in the way of electronic nav aids. There is nothing much more important than keeping a vigilant watch, especially at night or during inclement weather. Don't let the loss of radar keep you from your cruise, but do institute good watch keeping.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 09:04   #25

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Check your PM's.

I bought a used Simrad 2k to interface with my Standard Horizon 7" plotter. Then the deal for a 12" MFD & 4k got my attention and $$.

Radar, AIS AND a proper watch.... All are good, only the later is required, but each has measurable benefit.
PuttingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 09:44   #26

Boat: Gulfstar Custom 40

I've been sailing the New England coast for years using just an iPad and iPhone (and charts) for navigation. In deciding whether to splurge on a new radar system, I elected to go with an AIS VHF radio and an AIS app for the iPhone. While AIS is not foolproof in that it will only pick up those vessels using it, it will pick up commercial traffic which is especially useful if there are any high speed ferries around.

Seems like the concensus is go and have a great voyage.
Marblehead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 11:26   #27

Of course there is side scanning sonar if you have a big enough boat. Radar will not pick up floating steel containers nor logs.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 14:18   #28

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

no no no no no

Radar is essential in that area. Without radar you will not know when there are small boats in the water, or shipping containers, heavy rain fronts coming. What if it gets foggy? Then you done EVERYONE has radar on their boat in that area. Radar is almost as old as sailing. It's cheap. Hardly uses any power. Without it, stay safe and go play golf.

(Ps, personally I've never sailed anywhere near you, and I've never had radar, can't afford it yet. But someone has to put the negative forward that's how CF works, or this thread will close in under 4 pages )
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 14:44   #29

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Thing you will miss most is spotting squalls at night in the trade winds. Also good for showing the occasional Yacht saving power 'because there is nobody out here' and running at night with no lights. I assume they have not seen you or they would have snapped the light switch. Also it will probably be way cheaper to get one now rather than later. With 4+ crew not essential, which less crew becomes increasingly desirable.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 14:50   #30
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Rustic Charm,

I think I can catch the eye of a staff member or two. I'll be sure to put in a good word for you as "thread extender of the year". That is, as soon as contest is announced. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar