Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2011, 12:38   #1

Radar Interchangeability?

Greetings all,

Just bought a 35 foot Fountaine Pajot Cat a month ago and am loving every minute of my experience so far. We have a Raytheon 20xx radar that was included with the purchase. My problem is that the "Display" is inoperable. We had a technician look at it and he told us that, because of its age, it would be more expensive to fix it than to replace it. My question is whether or not we could buy another type of display (say an LCD) and hook it up to our radar antenna? It would appear that only the display unit is broken. I didn't know if we could hook up other kinds of displays to the antenna. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Andy Beck (total newbie)
Four2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 12:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Radar interchangeability?

There might be a newer Raymarine display that would work with it if you get an adapter cable. There is no guaruntee that they have something like that though, the best thing to do would be to call Raymarine and ask them what they think about it bud. 1-800-539-5539. Hopes this helps you out.

Keith
Old 20-09-2011, 12:45   #3

Wow! Quick response! Thank you so much. I will call them right away.

Andy Beck
Four2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 12:47   #4

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four2Go View Post
Greetings all,

Just bought a 35 foot Fountaine Pajot Cat a month ago and am loving every minute of my experience so far. We have a Raytheon 20xx radar that was included with the purchase. My problem is that the "Display" is inoperable. We had a technician look at it and he told us that, because of its age, it would be more expensive to fix it than to replace it. My question is whether or not we could buy another type of display (say an LCD) and hook it up to our radar antenna? It would appear that only the display unit is broken. I didn't know if we could hook up other kinds of displays to the antenna. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Andy Beck (total newbie)

I doubt it Andy! Even newer components of same brand name don't want to talk to old technology.

If you are keeping the boat I recommend bite the bullet and buy all new, shop about for best deal and install it!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 13:44   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Radar Interchangeability?

If your budget prohibits buying a new unit, it may be possible to buy a used display from someone whose magnetron or other expensive part of the scanner has died. This isn't all that rare a situation. Try a classified ad here on CF, try any local second hand boat bits shop, ask around at local electronic tech places. There are sure to be some out there!

Good luck.

Jim

Tags
radar