Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2015, 13:45   #1

Radar dome compatibility? NEW technology from OLD, Any Experiences / Advice?

Hello

I am about to buy a Raymarine E7 Chartplotter.

Its the most recent technology of chart plotter system on the market it seems.

What I'm unsure about is:

On my boat at present I have radar, it is a JRC Dome (Probably quite old as i am working through upgrading bits on the boat) it connects to a JRC LCD RADAR 1500 and seems to work well.

The Raymarine E7 chart plotters have HD Radar, my previous was as mentioned LCD. (Is this just the Screen resolution) does it have anything to do with the dome?

Can I just plug the old radar dome into the new Raymarine E7? and get it to work? it seems to connect with a NMEA0183 cable is there a large technology advancement in the actual radar domes int he last 10 years? do I need a new dome for the new Chartplotter??... Please say NO as its another £1000!!! arghhh

Any advice would be much appreciated.
zooplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 18:12   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

I'm assuming you are buying an e7. The big vs little "e" makes a difference actually. The "E" series is the previous generation. I don't think your old dome will integrate. I have an e95 and have poured through all the install documentation multiple times. It appears that only the new Raymarine digital or HD domes are compatible. To your question about the use of the term HD: it is really just a marketing term but it does indirectly refer to the processing technology used. The radar input for the e series plotters is via wired Ethernet. Does your old dome have its own display?
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 18:34   #3

Boat: Able 50
Re: Radar dome compatibility? NEW technology from OLD, Any Experiences / Advice?

Digital radar is not compatible with analog. You will have to run new cable.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 23:41   #4

Re: Radar dome compatibility? NEW technology from OLD, Any Experiences / Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Digital radar is not compatible with analog. You will have to run new cable.
Just a new cable you believe or do you think a whole new dome?
Old 15-04-2015, 23:48   #5

Garettw

Yes the current dome has its own display a jvc lcd 1500 is the display, seems like it may turn into a plug play and fingers crossed scenario!! Always love clarity in my life.. :-)

Bet my iPad would just pick it up if it had a port.. Clever little thing it is...
Old 16-04-2015, 04:55   #6

Boat: Able 50

I would expect you to need a new dome. The two cabling systems are quite different and so incompatible. I had to get a new dome for my Furuno digital radar. Why not confirm with your local Raymarine agent?

By the way Garrettw is quite right, HD radar and digital radar are the same thing.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 05:44   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

You'll need both a new cable and a new dome. The JRC radar is an analog unit, the cabling is not nema 0183, it's a bundle of wires composed of coax, twisted pairs, power and sensor, etc......

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 07:17   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

zooplax,
The systems / domes / antennas / power / controls / etc. etc. are NOT compatible....
Sorry about that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooplax View Post
Just a new cable you believe or do you think a whole new dome?

Although, there is some other misinformation in this thread that is superfluous, the main gist from others is correct....these are NOT compatible!

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 10:57   #9

They sell a e7 radar package for about $1000 more than the e7 alone.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 15:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
zooplax,
The systems / domes / antennas / power / controls / etc. etc. are NOT compatible....
Sorry about that!

Although, there is some other misinformation in this thread that is superfluous, the main gist from others is correct....these are NOT compatible!

Fair winds..

John
Hi John

I found this information in the manual regarding the JVC domes

3.6.2 EXTERNAL SYSTEM INTERFACE

The RADAR 1500 will interface with any NAV-AID (GPS or LORAN) and compass with the standard NMEA0182 or NMEA0183 output.

The inputs from the NAV-AID must be digital data conforming to the NMEA0183 formats to drive various radar features such as waypoint mode.

If more than one data type is present at the radar input (for example; compass and NAV-AID) a priority system has been established in the radar’s software to respond to the inputs in driving the features. The assigned priorities are set in this manner:

HEADING:
1. Compass (NMEA0183 “HDG,HDM,HDT,VHW”) 2. NAV-AID (NMEA0183 “RMC,RMA,VTG”)
1. NAV-AID (NMEA0l83 “RMC,RMA,GLL,GTD”) 1. NAV-AID (NMEA0183 “RMC,RMA,VTG”)
POSITION: SPEED:
WAYPOINT:
2. Compass (NMEA0183 “VHW”)
1. NAV-AID (NMEA0183 “RMB,BWC”)
Using the outline of your NAV-AID and
FIG. 3-7, FIG. 3-8 as a guide, connect the RADAR 1500 to compass.

Do you think this means that it will talk with the Raymarine e7?

Ill question Raymarine too, but as its late at night I thought id pop it on here first.

All the best
Old 16-04-2015, 15:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
I'm assuming you are buying an e7. The big vs little "e" makes a difference actually. The "E" series is the previous generation. I don't think your old dome will integrate. I have an e95 and have poured through all the install documentation multiple times. It appears that only the new Raymarine digital or HD domes are compatible. To your question about the use of the term HD: it is really just a marketing term but it does indirectly refer to the processing technology used. The radar input for the e series plotters is via wired Ethernet. Does your old dome have its own display?
Hello

Yes the old dome has its own screen JVC LCD Radar 1500 which has its own screen, according to the manual it has NMEA 0183 ports on the rear so it can interface with other NAV-AID devices.. (see previous post in this thread)..

If I kept my old Radar do you think it may interface from the old to the new? using the NMEA 0183 input/output on the rear of the device?.. or do you think that will just be for information on the actual radar?, GPS Location etc..

Thanks for any further info in advance, all new to chart plotter cabling and was trying to take all the equipment with me when I'm next out at the boat... but starting to believe It may not work out like that!! ha ha..
Old 16-04-2015, 15:23   #12

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I have recently upgraded to a FMCW system. It will connect to ur iPad and has a lot more going for it.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 16-04-2015, 15:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I have recently upgraded to a FMCW system. It will connect to ur iPad and has a lot more going for it.

Is FMCW a type of Radar?

Do JVC, Raymarine, Lowerance, Garmin etc.. make them.. OR

Is it more relevant to the cabling of such radars? or if not who makes them and are they compatible with new chart plotters?
Old 16-04-2015, 16:07   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Quote:
Hi John

I found this information in the manual regarding the JVC domes

3.6.2 EXTERNAL SYSTEM INTERFACE

The RADAR 1500 will interface with any NAV-AID (GPS or LORAN) and compass with the standard NMEA0182 or NMEA0183 output.

The inputs from the NAV-AID must be digital data conforming to the NMEA0183 formats to drive various radar features such as waypoint mode.

If more than one data type is present at the radar input (for example; compass and NAV-AID) a priority system has been established in the radar’s software to respond to the inputs in driving the features. The assigned priorities are set in this manner:

HEADING:

1. Compass (NMEA0183 “HDG,HDM,HDT,VHW”) 2. NAV-AID (NMEA0183 “RMC,RMA,VTG”)

1. NAV-AID (NMEA0l83 “RMC,RMA,GLL,GTD”) 1. NAV-AID (NMEA0183 “RMC,RMA,VTG”)

POSITION: SPEED:

WAYPOINT:

2. Compass (NMEA0183 “VHW”)

1. NAV-AID (NMEA0183 “RMB,BWC”)

Using the outline of your NAV-AID and

FIG. 3-7, FIG. 3-8 as a guide, connect the RADAR 1500 to compass.

Do you think this means that it will talk with the Raymarine e7?

Ill question Raymarine too, but as its late at night I thought id pop it on here first.

All the best

Yes and no. The e7 can send nav and waypoint data to your radar set so it can likely do things like show waypoints or display north up. But it doesn't work the other way. NMEA, to my knowledge, doesn't have sentences to transmit raw radar data or even the processed raster image. Even if it did, NMEA0183 or even NMEA2000 don't have enough bandwidth to handle that kind of data stream. This is why modern sets use some variation of Ethernet and older sets used a dedicated, analog link.

I was asking you about your display for the JVC because it's certainly an option to just keep in in place and use it alongside your e7.

And lastly, to answer your question about FMCW, it is a type of radar set that uses a different type of transmission. Instead of sending out high power bangs at a constant frequency it sends a frequency modulated, continuous wave (FMCW) at low power. It's a neat concept although there is some debate over its efficacy versus traditional sets. These sets are only offered by Navico companies (Simrad, B&G...). If you are going with a Raymarine plotter and are decide on a new dome, get a Raymarine one so you can use it with your plotter. The e7 will also allow you to view the radar output on an iPad.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 16:45   #15

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Is FMCW a type of Radar?

Do JVC, Raymarine, Lowerance, Garmin etc.. make them.. OR

Is it more relevant to the cabling of such radars? or if not who makes them and are they compatible with new chart plotters?

Frequency Modulated Continuos Wave. Uses ethernet cable. Navico Broadband radar. Low power in transmission and consumption.

I bought bought the B&G T8 w/ 3G dome couple of months ago and am quite pleased so far.

The Wifi-1 will allow you access with ur iPad.

Tags
enc, radar