Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2015, 17:08   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Radar dome compatibility? NEW technology from OLD, Any Experiences / Advice?

Those JRC radars worked very well. In fact, my 2004 generation of Raymarine was not as good as my 1991 generation Apelco, part of what used to be Raymarine, but made by JRC.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 18:20   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Radar dome compatibility? NEW technology from OLD, Any Experiences / Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooplax View Post
Hello

If I kept my old Radar do you think it may interface from the old to the new? using the NMEA 0183 input/output on the rear of the device?.. or do you think that will just be for information on the actual radar?, GPS Location etc..

Thanks for any further info in advance, all new to chart plotter cabling and was trying to take all the equipment with me when I'm next out at the boat... but starting to believe It may not work out like that!! ha ha..
Think of this old radar as a consumer of data. The NEMA 0183 interface will allow you to feed a waypoint into it, a speed into it, a compas heading into it. Maybe even as much as send a waypoint out of it to a chartplotter, but there is no way that the radar image will be sent out of it. Think of it this way.....way back when we were using dial up modems for internet, we had a 9600bps comm rates. This is roughly equivalent to 0183 data transmission. Loading a picture took forever. Your radar draws a fresh picture every time the scanner turns, so you'd never see any part of the picture on the other device.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 19:38   #18

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Think of this old radar as a consumer of data. The NEMA 0183 interface will allow you to feed a waypoint into it, a speed into it, a compas heading into it. Maybe even as much as send a waypoint out of it to a chartplotter, but there is no way that the radar image will be sent out of it. Think of it this way.....way back when we were using dial up modems for internet, we had a 9600bps comm rates. This is roughly equivalent to 0183 data transmission. Loading a picture took forever. Your radar draws a fresh picture every time the scanner turns, so you'd never see any part of the picture on the other device.

I ran 2400 until I sprang for the USR HST.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 17-04-2015, 05:06   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I ran 2400 until I sprang for the USR HST.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.

And here I thought I had reached the pinnacle with a Commodore 64 and 14.4kbps modem.........alas it was not hst.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 05:53   #20

Boat: Catalina 470

zooplax,
Yes, you can send NMEA0183 data from your on-board electronics (Raymarine or otherwise) into the JRC 1500....and it should display this info (position, speed, etc...)
{Or if there is some NMEA0183 data that the JRC 1500 has (I doubt it, but it might have something), you can send it to your Raymarine e7...}

I did not mean to imply otherwise!!!

But, what I did mean was that you cannot use the JRC 1500 scanner ("dome") with the Raymarine e7 display.....nor vice versa, you could not use the JRC 1500 display with a new Raymarine "digital" radar scanner ("dome")....
This is what I meant by the radar dome NOT being compatible...
And also, you cannot send the "radar image" from the JRC 1500 to the e7....that is NOT possible to do via NMEA0183....

As others have pointed out, you can just leave the JRC 1500 in place and hope it continues to work....or you can bite-the-bullet, and buy a new Raymarine radar scanner....
Or, depending on where you are sailing, you can do without radar...(in Caribbean, etc. radar is not needed....)

I hope this helps..

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, radar