Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 03:46   #1

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY
Radar and Satellite

Hello

I currently have a Raymarine RD418HD Radome radar on the stern of the flybridge hardtop.

I would like to install an Intellian i6W satellite dome on both sides ( maybe a SeaTalk on one side, but that is a different thread).

My question is...

1- Should the Radome be on a mast above the satellite domes ?

OR

2- should the satellite domes be on a short mount to elevate the dish above the path of the radar signal ?

My question is odd but I see people doing both... Raymarine will not give me an answer as the dish is from Intellian, and Intellian tells me to contact Raymarine...

I now seek the knowledge of those with experience of the real world over text book statistics of manufacturer customer service call centers (located in a building in the desert of India) that have staff that have never been on a boat.

Thanks

Alan
Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:59   #2

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Re: Radar and satellite

The radar should ideally be at a different level to the sat' reciever as I belive that the magnatron's energy can cause interferance.

However, i've seem many large powerboats with a central radar and sat' domes either side as standard so it can't be too much of an issue.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:05   #3

Hi

I think the radar signal from the magnetron would effect the LNB of the satellite dish thus have some reception quality issues...

And I see boats that have the radar above, as well as under.

My gut is telling me to have the satellite domes above the radar magnetron path.

Alan
Old 01-07-2012, 10:49   #4

Furuno radars specify +/- 10 degrees off horizontal plane for the beam. I would think that Raymarine is similar, so try not to place any sensitive or expensive electronics in that zone.

Difference between radar up or sat up:

If radar is up, part of sky will be hidden from satellite. Some sat antennas rotate, so might not be an issue. Not sure about Intellian. Plus remember, that it's not only one satellite that the antenna is tracking, but several.

If satellite is up, part of radar's field will be hidden by the sat support mast. In a lot of cases, the boat moves side to side anyways, so that part will be exposed with every few sweeps.

So it's really your decision about what's more important to have with the least interference.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 14:00   #5

Also consider whether you plan to use the Sat while underway, or just when at dock/anchor. If the later then the radar will be off and having the sat exposed to the radar sweep won't be a problem.

Personally I'd give priority to minimizing obstruction of the radar sweep, i.e. definitely keep the domes out of the radar path and have no more than the minimum support structure in the way.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 20:25   #6

Hello,

Thanks for the great feedback !

I had been leaning towards the radar below the satellite dish, and the feedback has tipped the scale to do as I was thinking.

Thanks everyone !!!

Alan
Old 02-07-2012, 00:17   #7

[QUOTE=twistedtree;981495]Also consider whether you plan to use the Sat while underway, or just when at dock/anchor. If the later then the radar will be off and having the sat exposed to the radar sweep won't be a problem.
QUOTE]

The problem with having the sat when it's off exposed to the radar sweep is that the radar would slowly fry the sat antenna evenwhen it's off, so your lifetime expectancy of sat antenna will be much smaller than otherwise.

We were explained this by the supplier and that in that case the sat warranty is off.
Old 02-07-2012, 00:52   #8

Hello,

If the bottom of the sat dome is on a mast clearly above the top of the Radar housing then all should OK ???

Alan
Old 02-07-2012, 01:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkalan View Post
Hello,

If the bottom of the sat dome is on a mast clearly above the top of the Radar housing then all should OK ???

Alan
Depends on the distance between radar and sat dome. Draw out the horisontal radar sweep (let's say from top of radar dome), then draw another line at 10 degrees from the radar sweep. The min height of the sat domebase should be above that 10 degree line. You will see that it will depend on how far the sat dome is from the radar.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:33   #10

Hello,

I understand your meaning... It should be easy enough to get the satellite domes above the 10 degree sweep. Below is the draft of the vessel. In the top right I have placed the circles where the Satellite domes will be (on each side of the centered radar).

Thanks so much for your feedback !

Alan
Old 02-07-2012, 02:50   #11

Hello Again,

A thought has added a new twist...

If I raise the Satellite domes above the radar by using an 18 inch vertical mast (see attached image). I should keep in mind that I keep the vessel in an area that is effected by typhoons where winds begin at 45 knots (that is just the starting of a tropical storm, and the strong typhoons here have been between 85 and 104 knots).

Thus I should try to have the heavy satellite dome (nearly 50 pounds) close as possible to the flybridge hardtop.

Seems I am 'damned if I do, and damned if I don't"...

I walked around the big marina with the 60 to 130 foot vessels... I see that most have the satellite dome tight to the flybridge hardtop... some have the radar sweep right in the center of the satellite dome, while the others have the radar above the satellite... Hmmmm

Never thought this would be a dilemma !

Alan

Old 02-07-2012, 03:06   #12

Hello...

Sorry to be such a pain, but what do you think about this solution ??? I would only be able to have 1 satellite, but it is strong, and will keep the radar and satellite happy !!!

Alan

Old 02-07-2012, 05:48   #13

Yes, that can work. Also, if you keep the domes off to both sides, remember that the closer they are to the radar, the less height that's needed to get them out of the radar sweep.

As Katiusha says, you have to draw the upper and lower limits of the radar beam to see what's in it and what's not. I haven't heard about sat manufacturers voiding warranties if the dome is in the radar beam, but I wouldn't put it past them.

By the way, when you are drawing the radar beam, also draw how much of it will get clipped by the front of your hard top, and draw it again for the boat when it's on a plane and the bow is elevated. The "professional" radar installations on both of the boat's I've owned had zero forward visibility when the bow was elevated. One just required a wedge under the radar, but the other required a complete re-layout of the arch, much like you are doing now. Judging from the drawing of your boat, the long hardtop, and the placement of the radar, I'll bet you'll have a big blind spot in front of the boat, and how far out that blind spot extends will depend on how much the bow is elevated. I had to raise my radar 2' to get acceptable visibility.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:40   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I would suggest you move the radar much closer to the front of the hardtop and elevate it a few inches or raise it above the satellite antenna.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:16   #15

Hello,

Brilliant information !!! Thank you all so much !

This really shows it is wise to "measure twice and only cut once"... LOL

Alan

Tags
satellite