Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 15:30   #46

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Question Regarding Standard Horizon VHF Matrix AIS GX2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
You're right, Mark. I bolloxed up the question. I meant can I put both inputs into the same USB port on the PC.
Yes, as long as you use separate serial-usb converters for each, plug them into a cheap 2-4 port USB hub and lead the single usb output to your computer.

In other words, if the gps and ais do not already have serial connections on the end of them, get a couple of DB9 connectors, or cut a couple of old serial cables so you are left with a connector and a 12" pigtail (or however long you need it). Find out what wires go to pins 2 and 5 and hook the VE+ to pin 2 and VE- to pin 5 for each of the GPS and AIS. Plug into each a separate usb-serial converter. Plug those converters into any old USB multiport hub, and plug the output of the hub into your computer. Anything plugged into the hub will show up as separate com ports on your computer and you can configure them accordingly.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 15:36   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
For anyone considering the 2100 and 2150 I thought this info might be interesting :

Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

Scroll down and read the doc on the differences between the two. It explains clearly how the extra ability on the 2150 to change the baud rate is essential if you want GPS data on the radio and AIS data on the GPS, at the same time.

This info made me fork out the extra for the 2150.
To be clear, the 2150 does not put AIS data on the GPS. It gives you the option to set the input baud rate for the GPS to 4800 and the output baud rate for DSC and 4800 while simultaneously transmitting the AIS data out on 38400 baud.

And all of this has frustrated me to no end because I just want a full N2K system and the AIS is causing me to run 0183 cabling everywhere just for it. And it is not even SH's fault for being 0183, because even if I bought a N2K AIS, few of the available chartplotters, etc will recognize it. End of rant...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 16-01-2012, 17:25   #48
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I am wondering if you all would recommend the Matrix 2150 for AIS as a stand alone unit. I have an old Furuno chartplotter which will not allow the overlay. What I would like is the closest point of approach alarm. The fog signaling would be great also.
Old 16-01-2012, 17:51   #49

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I am wondering if you all would recommend the Matrix 2150 for AIS as a stand alone unit. I have an old Furuno chartplotter which will not allow the overlay. What I would like is the closest point of approach alarm. The fog signaling would be great also.
works quite well as a stand alone. great radio, have used the foghorn feature more than expected. the ais display is acceptable. The remote mic works well too. I would buy it again, even if i were buying it as a standalone
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 17:58   #50

Boat: 1974 islander 44
Great radio. But you will have to feed it gps somehow. The tiny screen on the radio is acceptable. I have the radio mounted down at the nav station and the chart plotter and a remote mic at the helm. Kinda nice to see the ais from the nav station , if somebody else is at he helm.
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 01:52   #51
Marine Service Provider

If the screen on the radio is too small for you, have you considered a WatchMate-750? It's a low power consumption, standalone, two-channel AIS receiver with a 5" display. It has much more alarm controls to minimize false alarms and shows full AIS information, including nav aids, AIS-MOB, etc. Or if you already have the radio but want a larger screen and additional features, you can connect the radio to a WatchMate-670 display.

(Disclosure... I work for Vesper Marine)
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 13:51   #52

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
The alarm function there is very good if at times I wish there were a one button option to calm it (as far as I could get from the manual, you have to go thru a sequence to turn it off once it starts buzzing).

The screenie is ok with few objects but it IS a small screen. If you are after a graphical representation of what is coming at you then either get a nice external screen (e.g. the new i70 from Ray) or get a standalone AIS unit with decent screen size (e.g. the new color Vesper or the older color Simrad).

So, if you want the warning beep then you get one but the screen IS small.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 14:28   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If you are after a graphical representation of what is coming at you then either get a nice external screen (e.g. the new i70 from Ray)
The i70 only takes NMEA2000 input, so one would need a 2000/0183 gateway to use it (but it would be useful for a whole lot of other things besides AIS).

Mark

Old 17-01-2012, 15:10   #54
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Thank you for the opinions. I just ordered the Vesper 850. I'm mounting it at my helm station so hopefully it will not need the optional gps antenna. I have an old one from a Furuno navagator that may work if needed.

One of the easy selling points for me was the addition of the anchor alarm. With my current chart plotter it would be near impossible to hear the alarm. It does have alarm outputs but the plotter alone draws quite a bit of power even with the display turned down low. The Vesper unit looks to be a great fit for this.

Another bonus is that it will fit in right where my old Furuno navagator was. The dimensions are almost identical.

Thanks again
Old 18-01-2012, 09:52   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The i70 only takes NMEA2000 input, so one would need a 2000/0183 gateway to use it (but it would be useful for a whole lot of other things besides AIS).

Mark
Yes/No:

It is also compatible with SeaTalkng! Scrtatch the SH, enroll a Ray AIS receiver and off you go with a nice, color screen!

An bi-interface cable costs less than USD150 and will connect any other 183 toys you have out there too. That's op 2.

To me, the big bummer is the i70 has only rolling road, no WPT map at all (!!!). So, it is a lovely toy, but somewhat lacking for somebody who wants a single device at the helm ;-((((

The new, color Furuno plotter .... has no AIS overlay (!!!). And so on and so forth.

IMHO at this stage the Garmin 620 series are a good deal as they offer charting, instrument interface and ais overlay. Sort of like all-in-one. As I know Garmin they will be NMEA 183 compatible.

C'est la vie!

b.
Old 18-01-2012, 14:53   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes/No:

It is also compatible with SeaTalkng! Scrtatch the SH, enroll a Ray AIS receiver and off you go with a nice, color screen!

An bi-interface cable costs less than USD150 and will connect any other 183 toys you have out there too. That's op 2.

Well, yes you could scratch the SH and go with a Raymarine AIS to work with the i70, but you would not have a radio with integrated DSC output and it doesn't really help the poster who already has the SH AIS!

Seatalkng is NMEA2000 - they just put a non-standard connector on the end. But I think the i70 has standard micro-c connectors.

What you are calling a bi-interface cable is probably what I was calling a 0183-2000 gateway. I've never heard the term bi-interface (but that doesn't mean much).

Sounds like he already got the Vespar display.

Mark

Old 19-01-2012, 14:35   #57

Quote:

What you are calling a bi-interface cable is probably what I was calling a 0183-2000 gateway. I've never heard the term bi-interface (but that doesn't mean much).

Sounds like he already got the Vespar display.

Mark
Yep. An invented term. I know because I invented it ;-).

A bi-directional, NMEA 183-2k interface. One that 'translates' in both directions. They are not expensive but I am not sure how many inputs/outputs they serve. I think they do not double as multiplexers (?).

I am yet to see the new color Vesper but sure it looks good on the web.

PS The Vesper does have (did have) the very neat 'forecast' function that will plot the crossing situation at the CPA. I like this idea very much.

b.
Old 19-01-2012, 14:56   #58

Quote:
To be clear, the 2150 does not put AIS data on the GPS. It gives you the option to set the input baud rate for the GPS to 4800 and the output baud rate for DSC and 4800 while simultaneously transmitting the AIS data out on 38400 baud.

And all of this has frustrated me to no end because I just want a full N2K system and the AIS is causing me to run 0183 cabling everywhere just for it. And it is not even SH's fault for being 0183, because even if I bought a N2K AIS, few of the available chartplotters, etc will recognize it. End of rant...

Mark
My understanding is that the 2150 does supply AIS data on NMEA1983, and the HDS5 will then display the AIS targets on screen. Is this wrong?
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 15:20   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
My understanding is that the 2150 does supply AIS data on NMEA1983, and the HDS5 will then display the AIS targets on screen. Is this wrong?
Both 2100 and 2150 output AIS data.

b.
Old 19-01-2012, 17:41   #60

Maybe just a misunderstanding of terminology. On the 2150, the AIS output is on a separate 38400 baud line and the GPS and DSC output data are on a different 4800 baud line. You can set the gps INPUT to be either 38400 or 4800.

But after re-reading your post, I think I see where I was confused - are you referring to the chartplotter as the GPS? If so, then yes, the AIS output is a 0183 sentence to the chartplotter and you should see it just fine. I took GPS to mean the position data you fed into the radio to make DSC work.

Mark

Tags
ais