Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2015, 13:26   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Question - I know this will blow up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Thanks for causing me to revisit Tomaz423's ideas. Sometimes I tend to focus on items in a thread that I strongly agree with and pay less attention to thoughts that are new to me. If I'm going to keep learning, then I need to accept new ways to use my tools. I've never considered viewing the space within a crowded anchorage field with the radar. I'll need to try this!
Good point of view.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 14:28   #62

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Good point of view.
Yup I agree. That was the type of information I wanted out of this post, not an argument as to whether AIS replaces anything. Just reasons to keep Radar.

One of the suggestions I made earlier (watch for oil platforms) is actually covered by AIS. So not really a reason to keep radar.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 14:45   #63

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
When I'm in fog I turn my radar on, but I'm really watching my chart plotter as I'm more worried about position info than some big unseen "thing".

Also in fog frequently a small fiberglass or wooden boat appears that never showed up on the radar. So really the radar I haven't found to be much of any aid.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sadly,there are too many boats out there without decent radar reflectors.
I can't imagine travelling the Gulf of Maine,in anything that floats,without a reflector.Even our local 14ft dulce dorys have one.

To give a personal example,I encountered a local 58ft steel ketch bow to bow @ 1/4nm. I came around one headland & her another. Luckily it was a clear day. She had no radar reflector,& I could not pick her up on my perfectly working radar(I am a retd marine electronics tech),until she was inside the 1/8nm ring,& her bow aspect changed.I wouldn't have believed it possible,had I not experienced it myself.
And then there are the kayakers....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	102744

58 ft steel ketch-They didn't think they needed a reflector,cause it's steel.
Old 26-05-2015, 15:02   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I know people have dismissed the value of radar picking up an image for small fiberglass or wood boats, but that's not always the case. They just show up at less distance and with a smaller target. Not long ago Nancie and I were approaching Newport from Block Island in the fog and I was at my station, glued to the radar screen, while Nancie was at the helm.

With little warning I called out that there was something close on the port bow. Seconds later a 30' wood sloop appeared sailing on a port tack across our bow about 100' away. The crew was sitting in the cockpit with wine and cheese. They were surprised to see us as we turned to port and passed to their stern, but they merely raised their flutes as a toast.

I'll never be as casual as some that are accustomed to sailing in the fog!
Old 26-05-2015, 15:34   #65
Eternal Member

Man, if you can't pick up a 58' steel ketch on your "perfectly working radar", something is WRONG. Either with the radar or it's installation or its type or its adjustment or....maybe...its operator.

I can see lobster pots and crab pots and kayaks and rowboats on my Furuno 1832 green-screen radar with a 24" dome. But, it's gotta be adjusted well and monitored closely.

I've found that manual adjustment is often better than the auto adjustment.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 15:41   #66

Quote:
I know people have dismissed the value of radar picking up an image for small fiberglass or wood boats, but that's not always the case. They just show up at less distance and with a smaller target. Not long ago Nancie and I were approaching Newport from Block Island in the fog and I was at my station, glued to the radar screen, while Nancie was at the helm.

With little warning I called out that there was something close on the port bow. Seconds later a 30' wood sloop appeared sailing on a port tack across our bow about 100' away. The crew was sitting in the cockpit with wine and cheese. They were surprised to see us as we turned to port and passed to their stern, but they merely raised their flutes as a toast.

I'll never be as casual as some that are accustomed to sailing in the fog!
A perfect example of Darwin trying his best.
Sadly,the passengers had no say.
Also-all marine accidents apportion the blame for accidents-both captains are always wrong per COLREGS. Unfair in a situation as described,but it's law.
Old 26-05-2015, 15:45   #67

Boat: a sailing boat

I do not find your question as a valid OR style question. It cannot be AP or radar if any or both are desirable. It is not a valid OR question if one or both are optional extras, either.

If you sailing area calls for a radar, if you can afford one (or if it is required by the law) GET ONE. Otherwise, it is up to what you think you want to have onboard, and what you can afford.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 15:58   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
How does this one work? Do all your buddies have Class A and very tall antennas? Your Vesper certainly won't be seen at 60 miles.

Mark
Antenna is 80 feet up. The lake is 60 to 70 wide at Muskegon. I register commercial vessels in Milwaukee form about 5 miles off-shore. Class B comfortably at 20 depending on the other guy's installation & weather. - Sometimes farther. From Frankfort, we see the CG vessels around Muskegon. In that regard, its like a Fuzz-Buster.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 16:07   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Man, if you can't pick up a 58' ketch on your "perfectly working radar", something is WRONG. Either with the radar or it's installation or its type or its adjustment or....maybe...its operator.

I can see lobster pots and crab pots and kayaks and rowboats on my Furuno 1832 green-screen radar with a 24" dome. But, it's gotta be adjusted well and monitored closely.

I've found that manual adjustment is often better than the auto adjustment.

Bill
Did you read my post carefully Bill?
I'm not surprised there will be folks that question my qualifications or my radar. I would too,if I hadn't experienced it ,along with a couple of my passengers.
As I said Bow to bow. My radar was picking up gulls & other boats NP.
But it was looking at a perfect stealth profile on the ketch. Dead stem on,with greater(lesser?) than 45deg aspect on her bows.Signal reflecting off to sides & not back at me. Both of us-no sails up-motoring-flat ass calm.I intentionally stayed on a close head to head course,& tried adj STC & Gain,cause I thought there may be a problem with my radar.
My radar is a Furuno 1721 & works very well. I boat in Gulf of Maine/Bay of Fundy-read dense <100ft vis. often. My radar runs at all times I'm out,so hopefully don't get caught with a "broken" radar,when I really need it.
I have plotter,compass & wrist watch,so I can get home fine.
But no piece of eqpt,except radar,can show me the hundreds of non-AIS eqpd vessels around me.

Truth-Scouts Honour!!
Old 26-05-2015, 16:18   #70
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Did you read my post carefully Bill?
I'm not surprised there will be folks that question my qualifications or my radar. I would too,if I hadn't experienced it ,along with a couple of my passengers.
As I said Bow to bow. My radar was picking up gulls & other boats NP.
But it was looking at a perfect stealth profile on the ketch. Dead stem on,with greater(lesser?) than 45deg aspect on her bows.Signal reflecting off to sides & not back at me. Both of us-no sails up-motoring-flat ass calm.I intentionally stayed on a close head to head course,& tried adj STC & Gain,cause I thought there may be a problem with my radar.
My radar is a Furuno 1721 & works very well. I boat in Gulf of Maine/Bay of Fundy-read dense <100ft vis. often. My radar runs at all times I'm out,so hopefully don't get caught with a "broken" radar,when I really need it.
I have plotter,compass & wrist watch,so I can get home fine.
But no piece of eqpt,except radar,can show me the hundreds of non-AIS eqpd vessels around me.

Truth-Scouts Honour!!
Yep, I believe you. But, I wouldda thought your radar would have picked up his pilot house/trunk cabin, masts, etc. Where is your antenna mounted?

Mine is on a pole on the stern, about 10' above the water. I didn't want to put it on the mast because I wanted to favor targets close in, i.e., those that I might collide with :-)

I've had some great experiences in Maine fog with the radar! And, I agree, there's no way AIS can hold a candle to radar as a versatile, synoptic navigational tool. But, paired with radar it can be helpful, e.g., in identifying a target already seen on the radar.

Cheers,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 16:38   #71

What more can you ask for? This is an essentially basic and well reasoned description of reality. Well done and many thanks.

Quote:
There's great ideas here and fortunately not as controversial as the OP feared.

Among the many interesting posts, three caught my interest.

First, Gary H's observation early in the thread where he mentioned that the cruising location is a big factor. We cruised for thirty years in Florida and Bahamian waters without radar. The rare fog that we encountered was typically a brief early morning event and we would adjust our timing to confront risk. I'm not discounting that radar can be helpful or even critical at an imagined scenario, but the risk related to location is a factor. During our recent dozen years of cruising the fog and rock in Maine we have considered radar essential.

Second, I am in very strong agreement with trifan's post advising that using radar effectively requires much practice. We often are attentive to our radar screen during clear weather so that we can stay in practice interpreting images and false targets.

Third, I liked hearing of adlib2's choice to move his radar display from the nav station below to the helm. Choices made in response to radar images are effected at the helm. At times when we are moving among rock "Down East" Nancie is at the helm and I'm focused on the radar screen communicating information, but at less critical moments the screen is available to the helm where it can be scanned occasionally along with other instruments and trim.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 16:39   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Yup I agree. That was the type of information I wanted out of this post, not an argument as to whether AIS replaces anything. Just reasons to keep Radar.

One of the suggestions I made earlier (watch for oil platforms) is actually covered by AIS. So not really a reason to keep radar.
But not ALL of them.
Old 26-05-2015, 16:42   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
And then there are the kayakers....
Mosquitoes on the water with NO sense of spacial relationaships or boating etiquette.

Truly scary.
Old 26-05-2015, 16:44   #74

Quote:
Seconds later a 30' wood sloop appeared sailing on a port tack across our bow about 100' away.
sailing on a port tack

Jerks on a port tack always do much more than simply amuse me.
Old 26-05-2015, 17:02   #75

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
But not ALL of them.
My understanding is YES ALL OF THEM. Plus the watch ships that are required for each of them. If someone has some concrete information that is different please let us know.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote