Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 04:30   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Question for Networking Gurus

I'm still trying to get my boat network sorted out.

For Internet access and file serving, I use a Huawei B593 LTE router which works great. I have a 2TB external hard drive which is attached to the router via USB3. I will connect my Ubiquiti Bullet via Ethernet in order to distribute wifi connections.

For the nav network, I have the Simrad WiFi 1 module which distributes all the network's NMEA0183 data and allows connection of the GoFree app. It works perfectly to get 0183 data into laptops and tablets for INavX, EDO Instruments, OpenCPN, etc.

I would like to connect the WiFi1 to the Huawei to get the 0183 datastream into the main network, but since my Huawei doesn't have IGMP Snooping, I can't block the radar datastream from overloading the network, so can't do this.

But what if I connect the WiFi1 to my laptop by Ethernet? I don't believe there will be any overloading there since it's just a peer to peer Ethernet connection. So that will get me the 0183 data without a second wifi connection.

And maybe I can bridge the 0183 datastream back onto the boat network somehow? Is there any reasonably straightforward way to do that?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:10   #2

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Re: Question for Networking Gurus

Well you could do this and make your laptop act as a wireles router for the rest of the network. Then find a way to block the radar from flooding the rest of the network, by configuring the router to not forward packets from the radar.

This link is a start
How to Make a Desktop or Laptop Act Like a Router
Old 05-03-2016, 15:12   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

How about if you put the Wifi1 into Gateway mode, and ran an Ethernet cable from the Huawei to the 1st lan port of the wifi1, then connect your laptop to the wifi1's wifi? Then the wifi1 will provide you with access to the NMEA data and route you out to the Internet. The only downside is that your wifi connection will be limited to the wifi1's 802.11b, which is likely faster than your internet but could limit your transfer speeds to the networked hard drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Davidasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 17:04   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidasailor View Post
How about if you put the Wifi1 into Gateway mode, and ran an Ethernet cable from the Huawei to the 1st lan port of the wifi1, then connect your laptop to the wifi1's wifi? Then the wifi1 will provide you with access to the NMEA data and route you out to the Internet. The only downside is that your wifi connection will be limited to the wifi1's 802.11b, which is likely faster than your internet but could limit your transfer speeds to the networked hard drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I've thought of that, and am still thinking about it.

The WiFi1 is fairly limited as a router, but it would theoretically get everything on one network at last, if connected the way you suggest.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote