Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2018, 08:00   #1
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Grenada
Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Posts: 978
Quantum 2 radar

Does anyone have the new raymarine quantum 2 system? Comments?
I have the hybrid 7s chart plotter. Will this be sufficient? Will the radar overlay navigation charts like the AIS does? I also have the vision mate AIS system.
Just starting to review. I have been replacing All my equipment is raymarine.
I am on a sailboat in the Caribbean.
__________________

landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 18:15   #2
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Grenada
Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Posts: 978
Re: Quantum 2 radar

Let’s try this. Does anyone have the Raymarine Quantum 2 system? How do you like it?
__________________

landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 12:46   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
bstreep's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX/Port Aransas, TX
Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Posts: 2,292
Re: Quantum 2 radar

Yes, we have a Quantum wifi radar (or did, it got blown away by Hurricane Harvey), along with AIS and a Raymarine Chartplotter. They all overlay. The wifi works well. We will be putting a replacement unit on in the next couple of months, after the boat gets out of the yard. As our wireless Nexus wind system was also lost, we are replacing it with new Raymarine units.
__________________
Bill Streep
San Antonio/Port Aransas, TX
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 21:10   #4
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Grenada
Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Posts: 978
Re: Quantum 2 radar

Thanks for your comments. Sorry to hear of your lose. I hope all goes well this season.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 12:50   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 81
Re: Quantum 2 radar

Quantum 2 is the latest and is different from original Quantum
BocaIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 13:12   #6
Registered User
 
Peregrine1983's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 691
Re: Quantum 2 radar

I have Raymarine Quantum (not 2) wireless radar and it looks very similar to the Quantum 2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to me that most of the changes with Quantum 2 are with the radar technology itself, not how it connects to your MFD.

I love my Quantum radar. It was super easy to install - all you run is a power cable. It was very easy to pair and it overlays very nicely with my Navionics charts on my Raymarine es78 MFD. I don't see a hybrid 7 MFD so I'm not sure which model this is, but I *assume* Quantum 2 would overlay just like AIS for you on any of Ray's modern MFDs.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 14:31   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 81
Re: Quantum 2 radar

Quantum 2 is comparable witlh all Raymarine MFD's running LightHouse 2 or 3 software.

Quantum 2 Radar with Doppler collision avoidance technology. The Quantum 2 CHIRP pulse compression radar provides superior target awareness at both long and extremely short ranges.

Using advanced Doppler processing, the system instantly highlights moving radar contacts and color codes them to indicate whether they are inbound or outbound. Quantum with Doppler makes it easy to discern potentially dangerous targets when navigating in high-traffic areas.

Also, has dual range capability which I love.

Capt Jack
BocaIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 21:55   #8
Registered User
 
BigAl.NZ's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Boat: Hood 38 - Waiquez
Posts: 192
Re: Quantum 2 radar

We have ordered the Quantum 2 and I will be posting here when installed but that's about 4 weeks away.

We are going to mast mount it with a hydraulic dampened scan strut. Pricey but even at heavy heel angles it should provide a good picture.
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 00:24   #9
Registered User
 
BigAl.NZ's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Boat: Hood 38 - Waiquez
Posts: 192
Re: Quantum 2 radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaIII View Post
Quantum 2 is comparable witlh all Raymarine MFD's running LightHouse 2 or 3 software.

Quantum 2 Radar with Doppler collision avoidance technology. The Quantum 2 CHIRP pulse compression radar provides superior target awareness at both long and extremely short ranges.

Using advanced Doppler processing, the system instantly highlights moving radar contacts and color codes them to indicate whether they are inbound or outbound. Quantum with Doppler makes it easy to discern potentially dangerous targets when navigating in high-traffic areas.

Also, has dual range capability which I love.

Capt Jack
I don't think the Quantum or the Quantum 2 has dual range.
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 14:55   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 7
Re: Quantum 2 radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Does anyone have the new raymarine quantum 2 system? Comments?
I have the hybrid 7s chart plotter. Will this be sufficient? Will the radar overlay navigation charts like the AIS does? I also have the vision mate AIS system.
Just starting to review. I have been replacing All my equipment is raymarine.
I am on a sailboat in the Caribbean.


Quantum 2 is very good. We have installed a few systems. But remember the doppler functionality only works with lighthouse 3.
M
Myboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:28   #11
Registered User
 
BigAl.NZ's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Auckland, NZ
Boat: Hood 38 - Waiquez
Posts: 192
Re: Quantum 2 radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myboat View Post
Quantum 2 is very good. We have installed a few systems. But remember the doppler functionality only works with lighthouse 3.
M
Other than Doppler any differences between 1 and 2? Did you use mast mounted? With gimbal?
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 05:59   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 6
Re: Quantum 2 radar

These guys can supply with any radar you need and also offer you advice and info about marine electronics. Here are some of the radars they stock.
https://www.foxschandlery.com/marine.../marine-radars
DannyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 06:54   #13
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 10,513
Images: 14
Re: Quantum 2 radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyJ View Post
These guys can supply with any radar you need and also offer you advice and info about marine electronics. Here are some of the radars they stock.
https://www.foxschandlery.com/marine.../marine-radars
Welcome to CF.

Your post is a fine bit of advertising but also Landonshaw is in Grenada according to his profile.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 06:57   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 6
Re: Quantum 2 radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Welcome to CF.

Your post is a fine bit of advertising but also Landonshaw is in Grenada according to his profile.

Pete
Hi Pete! Sorry, didn't actually realized that looks like advertising. I am sure that you can pretty much find the same range of radars on any other chandlery or they can supply. As far as I'm aware most of the shops do ship internationally so the location doesn't seem to be a problem nowadays.
DannyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 07:10   #15
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 10,513
Images: 14
Re: Quantum 2 radar

Hmm, first post and a link to a chandlers miles from the original poster, does look like spam at all really does it?

The other two spammers this morning didn't make it. We are lighting the fires at 3pm once everyone is refreshed at lunch and taken their seats. Apparently they might be Croatian ;-)

Welcome to CF.

Pete
__________________

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
radar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quantum Fusion M Sails for Fast Cruising Cat Agility Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 6 05-12-2011 20:18
For Sale: Bilge Buster Ozone Odor Eliminator Made by Quantum Geoff H. Classifieds Archive 2 03-06-2010 15:25



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.