Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2017, 09:39   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Programs for Ship's Computer

Now that I have my new ship's computer installed and running well (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-187822.html), I start to think about what other software I might want for it, other than the usual ones I've been using all these years.

Right now I have:

OpenCPN (of course!) with various plug-ins, CM93 and VisitMyHarbour raster charts for Atlantic Europe

Neptune Planner Plus (brilliant tidal passage planner)

Google Earth

and miscellaneous utilities.

What do you use on your ship's computer?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 10:18   #2

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Programs for Ship's Computer

Acrobat Reader
Airmail
JVCOMM32
Anti-virus (I like AVG)
GPSinfo
proAIS2
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 20:35   #3

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

NavMonPC
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 23:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

also i find useful
prop calculator
world port distance calculator
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 00:25   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Is it on a wifi network? Then filezilla with bookmarks to copy Opencpn navobj.xml files so boat computer/laptop/Xperia are synced up looking at the same routes/tracks etc.
Opencpn logbook, seconds to save log entries.
Node-RED - fantastic free prog, write backup scripts, save nmea data, add a usb/i2c/1wire board and monitor pressure or engine temps, DS18B20 thermometers cost pennies. View on any device capable of viewing the Web page.

Zygrib for grib downloads.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 03:08   #6

Boat: Easy Sarah 40' cat

On Windows, SASplanet is a must have
sea-bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 03:42   #7

no nav software... I don't do route planning and use designated GPS plotters which I have both fixed mount and portable

MS Office 2007
win7 pro
Adobe Acrobat
Pixreszier
VectorWorks
Chrome
Google Earth
Skype which I don't use and is annoying and will be removed.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 06:33   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Is it on a wifi network? Then filezilla with bookmarks to copy Opencpn navobj.xml files so boat computer/laptop/Xperia are synced up looking at the same routes/tracks etc.
Opencpn logbook, seconds to save log entries.
Node-RED - fantastic free prog, write backup scripts, save nmea data, add a usb/i2c/1wire board and monitor pressure or engine temps, DS18B20 thermometers cost pennies. View on any device capable of viewing the Web page.

Zygrib for grib downloads.
Thanks! Yes, the machine is presently on my GoFree network, connected by WiFi. When I get the cable adapter, it will be connected by Ethernet, but I think this functions as a normal router so I could do these transfers between other devices.

Just wish there were some way to transfer routes and waypoints over the network to the two Zeus plotters!! It seems the only way is to load the gpx files onto a thumb drive, which is silly when the devices are all on one network!
Old 27-07-2017, 06:37   #9

Boat: Catalina 470

SAS planet.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 06:50   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Thanks! Yes, the machine is presently on my GoFree network, connected by WiFi. When I get the cable adapter, it will be connected by Ethernet, but I think this functions as a normal router so I could do these transfers between other devices.

Just wish there were some way to transfer routes and waypoints over the network to the two Zeus plotters!! It seems the only way is to load the gpx files onto a thumb drive, which is silly when the devices are all on one network!
At some point I'll get round to writing a little bit of node-red to automate synching the navobj files, & post it somewhere on here. What's a great shame is looks ike there isn't a way to get grib files over command line otherwise one button on a webpage on any machine would download a grib and have it on opencpn on yer boat PC, android tablet and laptop! One day..

One benefit of the Pi is signalk is already in there so messing with bits of nmea data is easier.

But check it out, really handy piece of software...

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 07:02   #11

In addition to previously mentioned Airmail and OpenCPN, I have on my ancient Gateway Netbook,
  • qtvlm - grib display and weather routing
  • zygrib - alternate grib download (normally use Sailmail)
  • foobar 2000 - listening to music
  • Foxit Reader - lightweight alternative to Adobe Reader
  • MS Office 2007 - for the occasional Excel spreadsheet or Word document
  • iTunes - for dealing with iPhone, iPad
  • Google Earth, GE2KAP & Open Object Rexx - fabulous way to make satellite KAP charts
  • Coastal Explorer - though I'm slowly moving to OpenCPN - note, I'm finding OpenCPN's chart groups, waypoint layers and custom icons to surpass all other navigation tools!!
  • Icom CS-M802 - manage Icom M802 settings
  • Notepad++ - better than Notepad

Utilities, not used often,
  • 7zip - dealing with zip files
  • Winscp & putty - manage serial and TCP/IP wifi/network
  • Syncios - PC/iPad/iPhone transfer utility
  • Folder Plus - transfer files to/from iPad w/out iTunes
  • Splashtop Streamer - allow's iPad to remote into Windows desktop

Seems to work well for me,
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 07:36   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Dockhead, a pertinent question is, what are you going to use this computer for, primarily? As there's little point in loading dozens of programs onto it that you'll use at most once a year. And obviously it's not a computer that you'll be using for business or home office purposes. So my thoughts are to keep things as KISS as possible.

Nav, performance, overlaying various instrument & data feeds, such as AIS & RADAR, Polars, maybe Coast Pilots & E-Cruising Guides. And the ability to organize & store various self generated Pilotage Notes from various harbor entries, & trips.
Perhaps creating a filing system for storing key POC info for each port you visit, along with sailing industry contacts of note; like divers, riggers, etc.

Honestly, as sharp as you are, it would help all of us, were you to delineate your planned useage for this computer, as well as the others which you regularly have onboard. Along with what software you run on them, & various software that youv'e tried & binned due to it's inefficency/crap user interface protocols.

Perhaps given your Mod "super powers" you could transfer much of the above info which you posted in your other thread on this, where you were searching for this computer, & list in this thread, the key points from the other one as to what this computer's to be used for, & how. It'd be a MAJOR help to luddites like me

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 07:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post

Perhaps given your Mod "super powers" you could transfer much of the above info which you posted in your other thread on this, where you were searching for this computer, & list in this thread, the key points from the other one as to what this computer's to be used for, & how. It'd be a MAJOR help to luddites like me
Yea right... DH lives on his boat and so I suppose he will do everything one does on a computer on that one... probably keep his log and so on... surf the net when he has a wi fi or similar connection.

I only live aboard on the weekends and for coastal cruises where I have internet and access to the google cloud where many of my files can be accessed.

I do use USB drives color coded and designated for files such as

Client A
Client B
Boat
Pix
Software

I carry these back and forth with the most current changes and work on them.

We use the PC for entertainment streaming YouTubes or similar and I do CAD work which needs to get out. I do THAT when at anchor... as well as the entertainment stuff. My boat electronics is stand alone and I don't any benefit from migrating or porting it to a PC which has the large HP monitor below decks.

I don't think anyone who is "recreational" sailing needs to spend a lot of face time with "screens"... with the exception being a crewed race with a below decks navigator. The rest is really using screens on a boat like a video game. Get your face out of the screens and sail mate!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 08:27   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Dockhead, a pertinent question is, what are you going to use this computer for, primarily? As there's little point in loading dozens of programs onto it that you'll use at most once a year. And obviously it's not a computer that you'll be using for business or home office purposes. So my thoughts are to keep things as KISS as possible.

Nav, performance, overlaying various instrument & data feeds, such as AIS & RADAR, Polars, maybe Coast Pilots & E-Cruising Guides. And the ability to organize & store various self generated Pilotage Notes from various harbor entries, & trips.
Perhaps creating a filing system for storing key POC info for each port you visit, along with sailing industry contacts of note; like divers, riggers, etc.

Honestly, as sharp as you are, it would help all of us, were you to delineate your planned useage for this computer, as well as the others which you regularly have onboard. Along with what software you run on them, & various software that youv'e tried & binned due to it's inefficency/crap user interface protocols.

Sure. I thought I mentioned that this box will not be used for general computing or for my work -- I have my company laptop for that. Nor reading or Internet browsing -- I have a tablet for that.

Although it's not primary navigation (I use the B&G system for that), OpenCPN is so extremely important to my work process, that I consider it more or less mission critical, so I won't use this box for anything except navigation and playing music and movies on the fixed-installed AV systems on board.

So I was not asking for general software tips for general computing -- I have that under control. Rather, what helpful boat-specific programs people are using. I've already gotten some interesting answers -- keep 'em coming.
Old 27-07-2017, 08:33   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
. . . I don't think anyone who is "recreational" sailing needs to spend a lot of face time with "screens"... with the exception being a crewed race with a below decks navigator. The rest is really using screens on a boat like a video game. Get your face out of the screens and sail mate!
It depends on how and where you sail.

With a full crew and with very complex jobs like dealing with heavy ship traffic, or navigating very complex waters like the Baltic archipelagos, I spend a lot of time at the nav table. I do a great deal of passage planning in any case whenever I'm sailing long distances or in unfamiliar waters. My annual four month cruise takes me 1500 nautical miles each way -- further than Miami to Nova Scotia -- and back. Every year.

In fact in many situations I like to be on watch from here, with a lookout posted on deck.

One reason why my next boat will have a pilothouse -- so I can do all this stuff above decks and with a view out.