Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2010, 20:59   #16

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
"I have been told you can run the laptop fine at 12 volts but it wont charge the battery. Thats fine normally on a boats nav station laptop"

That has been my experience. However - some laptops will run off the 12V independent of battery state, and some will try to charge the battery whenever it sees it is low and overwhelm the system - now it wants upwards of 19V - shutting it down. There doesn't seem to be any way to determine how a computer will react until you buy one - it just isn't part of the specs. If the one you got needs the battery charged before it will work on 12V, I found that charging it up with an inverter and then running it off 12V and not letting the battery discharge will work.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 03:37   #17

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcambria View Post
"I have been told you can run the laptop fine at 12 volts but it wont charge the battery. Thats fine normally on a boats nav station laptop"

That has been my experience. However - some laptops will run off the 12V independent of battery state, and some will try to charge the battery whenever it sees it is low and overwhelm the system - now it wants upwards of 19V - shutting it down. There doesn't seem to be any way to determine how a computer will react until you buy one - it just isn't part of the specs. If the one you got needs the battery charged before it will work on 12V, I found that charging it up with an inverter and then running it off 12V and not letting the battery discharge will work.

Michael
Firstly laptops & netbooks don't have a common DC input voltage requirement. It varies from model to model between 12 to 24 volts. That is why universal DC to DC adapters offer a switchable output voltage to match requirements.

Having said that I have managed to run/charge a Toughbook requiring 15 volts directly from my 12 volt battery system but only with the engine running holding batteries at 14.5 volts.

Bottom line I wouldn't recommend doing that in anything other than emergency - go to Walmart & buy a universal DC to DC adapter with output power exceeding max requirement of laptop & range of connectors to match. e.g. I have 120 watt one on Acer requiring 90 watts max - doesn't get hot, little or no RF interference.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 05:22   #18

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Most laptops are designed and rated for 15-19.5v on the input. Low voltage on the input = higher amperage draw on the circuit (if it doesn't shut itself down). In the end it will draw the amount of power it needs (watts) but current (amps) load is a wiring and fuse consideration, and might even result in internal component overheating inside the laptop (not good).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 08:44   #19

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Quote:
Firstly laptops & netbooks don't have a common DC input voltage requirement. It varies from model to model between 12 to 24 volts...

Bottom line I wouldn't recommend doing that in anything other than emergency
Certainly. Check the AC adapter, it will tell you what the maximum output should be. I have not personally run across a 24 volt system, but that doesn't mean they don't exist ;-) (All Indians walk in single file - at least the one I saw did...)
My analogy would be that running on unregulated 12V is like driving a car with the skinny little spare tire on - it gets you where you need to go but you don't want to push it. I did use 12V direct from the house battery bank to a Toshiba laptop on a seven week 6800 mile trip across the Pacific and did not suffer from any voltage spikes or low voltage conditions but I wouldn't intentionally set out that way. That passage got me to get a Lind DC/DC converter - the high end stuff at $160 - but most laptop vendors carry a car adapter for their models at much less cost.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 09:27   #20

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcambria View Post
Certainly. Check the AC adapter, it will tell you what the maximum output should be. I have not personally run across a 24 volt system, but that doesn't mean they don't exist ;-) (All Indians walk in single file - at least the one I saw did...)
l
Apple Notebooks use (or did) the higher voltages I mentioned - clearly there is no way they could be powered directly from 12 volt battery bank under any circumstances.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 10:55   #21

Check out the Carnetix DC-DC regulators
DC-DC Regulators for CarPC automotive computers
Good FAQ on them at MP3car.com's forum:
FAQ - Power Supplies Explained - MP3Car.com
FAQ - Will xxxxx Power Supply Work with My System? - MP3Car.com