Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2011, 15:23   #1
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Power from NMEA-2000

I'm installing my first NMEA-2000 gear, and had a question about power. I have a Garmin GMI-10 that I've installed and wired into the NMEA-2000 backbone. Unfortunately, it also requires separate 12v power, which I find frustrating (mostly because I missed that part in the install directions and wasted time troubleshooting my NMEA setup with a voltmeter, my fault).

Is there any reason why I can't just add another NMEA T-Connector, and make up a cable that taps the 12V to supply the GMI-10? I'd rather not have to run another cable from the panel over to the repeater unless absolutely necessary. I only have 5 NMEA-2000 devices (with the probability of adding 2 more) 1 of which is the GMI-10 and the other is the plotter itself.

Thanks,

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 16:14   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Power from NMEA-2000

Are you sure the GMI-10 requires power other than the N2K?

I just perused the GMI-10 installation guide and it leads me to believe it works fine on N2K power, in fact states it's a LEN 2 (100ma).
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 16:56   #3
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Are you sure the GMI-10 requires power other than the N2K?

I just perused the GMI-10 installation guide and it leads me to believe it works fine on N2K power, in fact states it's a LEN 2 (100ma).
Quite sure. I have it all hooked up and without additional power it won't turn on. I googled it yesterday (hurray smartphone) while it was in my hand, and the consensus was it requires separate power. Apparently it uses the N2K power to verify the network is hooked up, not to power itself.

Although on further review, it would appear that Garmin has quietly started a version 2 of the GMI-10 that runs on N2K power only. It has a different serial number sequence. I'm not able to get to the boat until Tuesday, so I can't check. But I'm 99.9% sure I have the earlier revision (odd, since I bought it last month, I'll have to check on that) in the combo with the wind sensor.

That being said, is there any reason why I shouldn't snag power from an additional N2K T-connector?

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 19:03   #4

Boat: Tayana 42

Mine definitely requires additional power. I have the 4208, 18hd, gmi10, and depth/wind package. I would be worried about tapping the n2k power with a connector. not that the gmi10 would take a lot of power, just don't know if it would mess with the network in any way.
Can you tap into the power that your plotter is using? my power for most of the devices goes from the panel to a bus under the cockpit, and from there it goes to the 4208 and gmi10. btw, i hear you about adding another cable. i had to make some more cuts in the boat when i replaced the old one due to the two cable size. not that big a deal, but you would hope the cable size would get smaller.
msulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 19:46   #5

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
Although on further review, it would appear that Garmin has quietly started a version 2 of the GMI-10 that runs on N2K power only. It has a different serial number sequence. I'm not able to get to the boat until Tuesday, so I can't check. But I'm 99.9% sure I have the earlier revision (odd, since I bought it last month, I'll have to check on that) in the combo with the wind sensor.
The current rev of GMI-10 is fully powered from the N2K network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
That being said, is there any reason why I shouldn't snag power from an additional N2K T-connector?
I don't see why not but you need to check how much current your version of GMI-10 uses (must be less than 1 amp) and check the total current consumption of all your N2K devices to make sure you are compliant with the N2K design rules.

Tags
nmea, nmea 2000