Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-12-2013, 15:08   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Re: Portable SSB and SeaTTY

Has anyone used the JVC Com32 program? >> JVComm32 - FAX SSTV RTTY SYNOP NAVTEX program

I'm getting ready to cross the Pacific heading SW and looking for a good dependable setup.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 15:48   #17

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Has anyone used the JVC Com32 program? >> JVComm32 - FAX SSTV RTTY SYNOP NAVTEX program

I'm getting ready to cross the Pacific heading SW and looking for a good dependable setup.
Yup, a good, simple, and dependable program. If, however, you have a Mac I would recommend CocoaModem 2.0 which not only very very good but also free. cocoaModem

El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 16:27   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

cocoaModem! That's good to know! Although, my boat computer is a DELL W8.1 for obvious reasons.

I have considered going with a satellite radio but I haven't heard much about the use. They do require a special antenna and a black box but it's not very expensive, considering what a regular SSB setup would cost. And I don't think it does pressure/wind readings like the fax.

Weather Satellite Station - Wettersatelliten NOAA Receiver and Antenna

and

WXtoImg: software to decode APT and WEFAX signals from weather satellites

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 16:57   #19

Boat: Catalina 470

Unbusted,
Yes, there are many out there that do this, either with JVcomm, Seatty, etc....
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Can you pick up the NWS radiofaxes with a portable SSB and interpret them with SeaTTY? Anyone out there cruising with a non broadcasting SSB?
1) You may wish to read over these recent (this past month) threads here, and see what people are using/recommending...
SSB Receivers

Newbe to ssb, anybody help me with some basic info?

need a new shortwave receiver

Obtaining Accurate Offshore/Hi-Seas Weather data/forecasts, while at sea

Unbusted, please remember that:
a) getting rid of (or reducing the effect of) on-board sources of RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) will go a LONG way into improving your received wefax charts...
b) using an exterior antenna (even just a 20' - 30' wire strung up on a flag halyard), preferably away from on-board RFI sources, is always going to work better than using the 3' attached whip antenna on one of these small, portable HF/SW receivers...

And, here is a thread where you can find a great deal of info on budget options on how-to-get weather at sea....
Obtaining Accurate Offshore/Hi-Seas Weather data/forecasts, while at sea

2) As for comparing to a "fixed install", where/who quoted you $8000+??? 'Cause that guy is a serious rip-off artist!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
It seems like a cheap and dirty alternative to the 8k+ you might spend on a fixed install. I already have SeaTTY and have used it to great effect on boats with fixed installations but my current boat doesn't have one and I honestly don't foresee getting myself one.
A top-of-the-line, complete Icom M-802/AT-140 system (including all cables. connectors, coax, data cables, GTO-15, etc. line isolator, ferrites, copper strapping, etc.) sells for about $2600 USD....
Icom SSB Radio Kits & Components
And, that includes self-install instructions, manuals, AND free tech support!

Yes, you need an "antenna", as you would with any HF radio, receiver or transceiver....(some may opt for an inexpensive "alternative backstay" arrangement, some may choose an even cheaper temporary wire antenna installation, some will choose a stern-mounted 23' - 28' whip....and some will choose to insulate their backstay, or some will choose to use an un-insulated stay...)

And, yes for a full-range HF transmit set-up, you'd want to attach that included copper strap to a bronze thru-hull, etc...or arrange for another type of antenna RF ground / counterpoise...but whatever you choose here, it is still a fairly cheap part of the install!!

All-in.....you've got about $2600, plus a few hundred dollars for antenna, etc....
So again, where/who tried to sell you an "$8k+ fixed installation"???

And, you can get all the weather info/forecasts (voice, wefax, text), you'd ever need...

3) Understand that the above $2600 (plus a few extras) investment represents the whole package, and gives you access to the whole world-wide HF communications network (voice, wefax, text, navtex, maritime, ham, etc.)....no modems, no subscriptions, etc...

(Heck, even if someone tried to sell you on "offshore e-mail".....thru Winlink, you can do that using WinMor, and your laptop connected directly to your M-802, without a PACTOR modem...so, NO additional costs...
But, even if you did want to use the more robust, and faster, Sailmal system for offshore e-mail connectivity, you'd only need to add a PACTOR modem at a cost of about $1300...)

I hope this helps...

Fair winds..

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 07-12-2013, 19:52   #20

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
cocoaModem! That's good to know! Although, my boat computer is a DELL W8.1 for obvious reasons.

I have considered going with a satellite radio .....
If you mean something to pick up the NOAA sats the only big expense ( unless you make your own) is the antenna. The chap who introduced me to it 6 or so years ago was using a $50 second hand Bearcat scanner to receive. It is also possible to use one of the RTL-SDR dongles that will set you back about $10 although you may need the radio geek gene to want to get involved with that. Software Defined Radio for Mariners: Beginner - Intro & Hardware

Gribs and wefax give you predicted and past winds and pressures ... NOAA sats give you a real time picture of whats going on.... all good to have.

2nd pic is enhanced for precipitation.... in that pic a pretty good indication that rather nasty weather is on the way.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sat2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	71707   Click image for larger version

Name:	sat1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	71708  

El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 23:45   #21

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:

Yep, my favorite. Though next time the android tablet will probably get used most as it seems to work fine and uses so little power.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hi.wefax&hl=en

Just a pity you can't get audio in via bluetooth... Unless someone knows different..

Tags
ssb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: