Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2017, 21:34   #1

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Plotter (B&G Vulcan 5) not showing boat/paddlewheel speed

Playing with my plotter (Vulcan 5) and was trying to get the boat speed to be the calibrated boat speed (through the water ) that was set using the B&G displays.

The boat speed shows up as the raw paddlewheel speed (100%), not the calibrated speed (68%) that I calibrated on the B&G displays. However, the adjusted keel depth offset does work.

The plotter will show, say 7.x knots, and the boat speed will show, say, 5.x knots. As much as I like the optimistic raw speed, it is grossly inaccurate. The B&G display allows correction for this. But the plotters don't see this correction (and doesn't appear to have any way to correct for it)

I did shoot a video of what i mean, https://youtu.be/4a_O5UkNcjQ

For fun, I did check my other plotter on board (Lowrance HDS8 gen1) and it shows the same inaccurate speed like the other plotter.

Any idea how to get the plotter to either read the speed compensation that was set on the displays, or set some kind of compensation on the plotter?
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 11:06   #2

Re: Plotter (B&G Vulcan 5) not showing boat/paddlewheel speed

I went through all the options and couldn't find any setting to compensate. There has to be a way!
Old 30-05-2017, 12:24   #3

boat speed is reporting speed through water and your GPS will report speed over ground, the blue arrow in the middle whas showing tide flow at 3kn.

So if SOG is 5kn and you are driving in to a 3kn tide flow then the STW should be 8Kn

Not sure what adjustment you made to the Triton gauge but would be interesting to see what happened to the speed if you did a 180° turn and when with the tide.
Rusty007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 12:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty007 View Post
boat speed is reporting speed through water and your GPS will report speed over ground, the blue arrow in the middle whas showing tide flow at 3kn.

So if SOG is 5kn and you are driving in to a 3kn tide flow then the STW should be 8Kn

Not sure what adjustment you made to the Triton gauge but would be interesting to see what happened to the speed if you did a 180° turn and when with the tide.
i was doing circles in the bay, the plotter 'boat speed' was always a LOT faster than the display's speed.

In the displays, there is a 'calibration' you can do. Mine is set to 68% of the paddlewheel actual speed. As much as I would like to say I am sailing at 9 knots.. i know it is not real

I just don't see a calibration in the plotter.

The depth keel offset calibration gets passed to the plotters fine. just not the calibrated boat speed
Old 31-05-2017, 17:25   #5

Apparently I have Navico stumped.. have't got a reply from them. Not surprised. rarely get problems solved through their email.

Rusty, to adjust the speed on the Triton display (see attached pic) and on page 25: https://www.usna.edu/Sailing/documen...Instrument.pdf

This procedure does work for the displays (as you can see on my video).. but it doesn't propagate over the network like the depth offset does.

I don't see anything on the Vulcan 5 (or my HDS 8 for that matter) to calibrate the speed, like the triton display.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bandg_speed.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	148870  
Old 02-06-2017, 14:01   #6

Navico/B&G is still MIA. No reply from them yet. Called on the phone today. On hold for 50 minutes with 'no calls in front of me' so maybe they don't offer support anymore??

Either way, went to the boat and installed a software upgrade.

There now appears to be a 'calibration' setting for speed. So I set it. Will see if it did anything next time we go out.

Tags
boat, wheel