Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2013, 17:13   #16

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
This may turn out to be as futile a quest as eradicating aimlessly blinking turn signals on south Florida straightaways.
Maybe futile for some, But it's worth at least trying to educate people to switch them off when it's not needed. The less the big ship boys need to run a class B filter to remove all our yachts the better for all of us. Most people will do the right thing most of the time if they understand the reasons why. In this case it is simply good seamanship and politeness. Thanks for bringing this up Evans.
Old 15-05-2013, 17:24   #17

Boat: Beneteau 393
Re: Please turn your AIS off when docked/moored/anchored

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
I sailed by Newport this morning and had 53 collision warning alarms. 51 of them were docked/moored pleasure craft, while two were ships underway that were important for me to be able to follow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBrookster View Post
Sort out your alarm and keep a proper watch.
I love this about CF. Famed cruiser Evans Starzinger starts a thread about a legitimate topic he experienced while actually cruising and five posts later an average joe schools him on how to be a real seaman.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 17:48   #18

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Elliott Bay Seattle. At least 20 commercial vessels tagged as moored/anchored. It's not just the recreational boats. I think this isn't going to change.

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 17:49   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
I love this about CF. Famed cruiser Evans Starzinger starts a thread about a legitimate topic he experienced while actually cruising and five posts later an average joe schools him on how to be a real seaman.

Frank
What I like about CF is that everyone has a voice. Evans isn't always the authoritative source on a given topic, and even a newbie can make a valid point. In this case, my personal opinion is that they're both right. So there!

p.s. For all I know, DJBrookster is a salty sea dog. Or not. It doesn't matter.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 17:53   #20

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post

What I like about CF is that everyone has a voice. Evans isn't always the authoritative source on a given topic, and even a newbie can make a valid point. In this case, my personal opinion is that they're both right. So there!

Yes, everyone has a voice, some more than others even!

My point was it is a little presumptuous to assume that Evans a) doesn't know how to operate his equipment, and b) doesn't keep a proper watch.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 18:02   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, everyone has a voice, some more than others even!

My point was it is a little presumptuous to assume that Evans a) doesn't know how to operate his equipment, and b) doesn't keep a proper watch.

Frank
OK, good point.

But, for what it's worth, it was just about a year (two years?) ago that I was helping Evans get his AIS system sorted out. (I provided just a little advice and testing help, he was doing fine figuring it out on his own.) No doubt since then he's accumulated more time with it than I have in the last eight years.

We're all still learning how to fine-tune our AIS alarms, and the gear continues to evolve.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 18:10   #22

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution

I will leave my AIS on at the marina so that when in the office I can check it is still there via web based ship finder. I guess you could filter out non moving when in a marina but when out I want to know about anything that may get too close even if it's because I happen to be steering towards it, like all the bulk carriers anchored off Gladstone harbour. But I will admit I'm a noob so happy to be schooled.
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 18:10   #23

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post

+1 for that (and I am a fan of big Beth's writing and generally like and appreciate Evans' posts).

Whatever the merits of this, I think Evans is barking up the wrong tree. 95% of the AIS transponder signals are not coming from cruising sailboats, but from shipping, tugs, yachts and others not to be found on CF. I imagine those guys turn on their electronics package and turn it off. Similarly, they can probably filter out unwanted AIS transmissions more easily and effectively than most consumer grade electronics packages allow. As others have said, in port, I either go to the smallest alarm radius or turn off the AIS altogether.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 18:17   #24
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I have about 250 targets of which 175 are anchored or moored. If your AIS does not allow to filter targets based on their speed then I suggest to start saving for a new model because there will only be more, not less.

Class A units give navigational status incl. both anchored and moored. They are supposed to be active during those states and so they are, incl. mine.

p.s. filtering for alarm is not removing them from the display. It's just that they don't trigger an alarm anymore. You are still supposed to use eyeballs and look where you go so that you don't hit anchored ships.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 22:04   #25

Boat: Joubert Koala 24

If I'm on a mooring I'll turn it off.
When I'm at anchor, I don't want you running into me. I'll leave mine on thanks.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 22:44   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Maybe futile for some, But it's worth at least trying to educate people to switch them off when it's not needed.
No, it's not.

That's the logic that leads people to try to "educate" other drivers out on I-5.

We call that "road rage".

Maybe this is "wave rage".

It's on the same emotional and logical level.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 00:14   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Maybe this is "wave rage".

It's on the same emotional and logical level.
Let me see if I've got this straight: Evans Starzinger is being diagnosed with "wave rage" by someone called "Jammer Six" because Evans has had the temerity to suggest that people should stop transmitting an AIS signal while docked/moored/anchored.

Really? Wave rage?

Did anyone notice that the title of this thread starts with the word "Please"?
Old 16-05-2013, 00:32   #28
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Let me see if I've got this straight: Evans Starzinger is being diagnosed with "wave rage" by someone called "Jammer Six" because Evans has had the temerity to suggest that people should stop transmitting an AIS signal while docked/moored/anchored.

Really? Wave rage?

Did anyone notice that the title of this thread starts with the word "Please"?
Wasn't even anchored, just docked or moored. Simple request for some good seamanship and a little courtesy for fellow sailor's.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 00:33   #29

Thanks, Bash, that had to be said.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 01:11   #30
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

Frank
Not entirely sure what a "famed cruiser" is , but I suspect OP was as much on Rant / frustration mode as expecting the rest of the world to change, otherwise an excercise in futility at best. Of course, me is only "famed" in my own mind .

In any event, my take on good seamanship is that you are able and willing to deal with the world as it is rather than needing others to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
I will leave my AIS on at the marina so that when in the office I can check it is still there via web based ship finder. I guess you could filter out non moving when in a marina but when out I want to know about anything that may get too close even if it's because I happen to be steering towards it, like all the bulk carriers anchored off Gladstone harbour. But I will admit I'm a noob so happy to be schooled.
I am not on the technology focused end of the spectrum (so that ability a new one on me), but certainly if in an area where boat going walkabout (sailabout?!) is a concern that does seem an entirely reasonable purpose in keeping the AIS switched on 24/7 .

Whether a noob or a "famed cruiser" part of the challenge and enjoyment is puzzling out own solutions to problems / circumstances. and just because someone has 40 odd years of messing around in boats on CV and / or a squillion seamiles under their keel accross 7 seas don't make them all knowing (albeit likely to be ahead of the game), and whilst often enough a head start for own puzzling certainly "their" knowledge not a substitute for also doing own thinking.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais