Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-05-2013, 15:33   #91
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Too much information is as useless as too little information. If AIS displays are so cluttered that it makes it difficult to sort out who is doing what, what good are they? As Evans points out, filtering is only so useful when a vast amount of garbage is being poured into your system--you still get garbage coming out through the filter.
I don't have a Vesper... yet but I recon it has filters that take targets from the screen but also filters that leave targets on the screen but suppress the alarm for them. That way, you see the fishing boat on AIS when he's hauling the lobster pots but you don't get an alarm. When you move further off-shore you use different settings.

Old 16-05-2013, 15:34   #92

Re: Please turn your AIS off when docked/moored/anchored

Quote:
We don't need that, we need more respect for those with other ways; would make our world a bit better.
Cocktail hour in Shelter Bay and looking for a little entertainment?

Old 16-05-2013, 15:37   #93
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post

Cocktail hour in Shelter Bay and looking for a little entertainment?
Pretty serious actually, but you do have the right ideas so I may go and fix some Cuba Libres now
Old 16-05-2013, 15:42   #94

Quote:
I don't have a Vesper... yet but I recon it has filters that take targets from the screen but also filters that leave targets on the screen but supress the alarm for them. That way, you see the fishing boat on AIS when he's hauling the lobster pots but you don't get an alarm.
I'm not arguing against filters. But, in my experience it is truly difficult in the real world to have filters that will leave you with useful information in some situations and areas. For example, it is very possible, and has happened to me, to be passing by Newport harbor while several different regattas around the buoys are going on simultaneous with the inbound passage of a U.S. Navy vessel and the outbound passage of a freighter, all in the fog with limited visibility, and a cruise ship was anchored off of Goat Island with vessels going to and fro in the fog taking people to and from shore. The funny thing was the U.S. Navy ship was raising and lowering signal flags like crazy, I suppose in an attempt to tell everyone something. I actually got out my flag book to try and decipher what they were up to.

I have been in similar situations of confusion in New York harbor and Norfolk. Having AIS alarms going off would not have helped one bit, and having additional AIS targets from anchored vessels would just make everything worse.
Old 16-05-2013, 15:43   #95

Quote:
I may go and fix some Cuba Libres now.
Cheers! Wish I was there...
Old 16-05-2013, 15:43   #96
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
A shame you added that last bit. Now you personally are judging others as bad elements because they do not do what you want, even though they comply with all regulations. We don't need that, we need more respect for those with other ways; would make our world a bit better.
Many may well not know what the effect of their actions are, in which case I was simply (and I thought politely in my OP) trying to inform them. That was the point of my OP.

But if they are doing it knowingly . . . then damn right I am judging them. People who piss on public commons are bad actors. Period. Full stop.

I don't care if it's 'legal' or 'complies with all regulations'. Those are extremely low moral standards. Those standards allow all the bad ethics we see from wall street every day. I hope that we can expect better from our fellow seamen.

Quote:
I don't have a Vesper... yet but I recon it has filters that take targets from the screen but also filters that leave targets on the screen but suppress the alarm for them. That way, you see the fishing boat on AIS when he's hauling the lobster pots but you don't get an alarm.
I am not staring at the damn screen. I am sailing the boat and looking around. The alarm is there for a reason . . . to attract my attention when there is something important. Your solution eliminates that alarm (in this situation).

Quote:
we need more respect for those with other ways; would make our world a bit better.
Other sailors can do whatever they damn well please . . . EXCEPT when it interferes with a public commons. For instance, I will judge them harshly if they dump plastic trash in the water, and I hope you will also and not 'respect other ways'. This is a public commons - a shared collision avoidance system.
Old 16-05-2013, 15:46   #97
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
A shame you added that last bit. Now you personally are judging others as bad elements because they do not do what you want, even though they comply with all regulations. We don't need that, we need more respect for those with other ways; would make our world a bit better.
I'm glad you posted that.
Old 16-05-2013, 15:59   #98
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
I am not staring at the damn screen
I think you need a Cuba Libre too. When you aggrevate yourself so much, do it about big things like the people that die in Bangladesh or Syria; don't sweat the small stuff like your AIS alarm going off. Cheers and peace to all!

(282 targets here at the moment, with 150 class A targets transmitting moored or anchored status like the law tells them to)
Old 16-05-2013, 16:02   #99
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa

Quote:
(282 targets here at the moment, with 150 class A targets transmitting moored or anchored status like the law tells them to)
The Class A's are no problem because they ARE transmitting a status and you can filter based on that (although I do notice frequent errors in the status, as in an 'anchored' boat doing 20kts). It's the class B's that are the problem here.

Quote:
don't sweat the small stuff like your AIS alarm going off.
Terrific advice . . . yea I will just ignore it the next time it goes off. Thanks so much.
Old 16-05-2013, 16:05   #100
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post

The Class A's are no problem because they ARE transmitting a status and you can filter based on that (although I do notice frequent errors in the status, as in an 'anchored' boat doing 20kts). It's the class B's that are the problem here.
This is why a lot of people have second thoughts about class B.
Old 16-05-2013, 16:06   #101
cruiser

This guy estarzinger is the "authority" you all love to cite?

That's disappointing.
Old 16-05-2013, 16:09   #102

I know it isn't PC around here, but in places like Newport things like AIS are basically useless--the only safe way to proceed is to watch intently (with your actual eyes) what is happening around you and be ready to take evasive action instantly. If you are watching a screen, any sort of screen, you are not maintaining a safe watch, even in the fog. I have had to take evasive action numerous times in that area to avoid lobster pots, very small boats, temporary buoys for regattas and such, and people fishing. AIS and other navigation equipment is useless in situations like that.
Old 16-05-2013, 16:17   #103
Armchair Bucketeer

I wonder how folks coped before AIS?

I think OP needs to stick to visiting places that are not so confusing for him..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 16:24   #104
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post

That's disappointing.
Well, not many cruisers have their own wikipedia page based on their cruising experience. Evans Starzinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drop down to the second paragraph to read how many prestigious cruising awards have been given to Evans.

Q. How many?
A. Just about all of them.
Old 16-05-2013, 16:36   #105

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post

That's disappointing.
Careful there Bucko. The ice below your feet is looking pretty thin.
It should be obvious to you by the way that some of these folks run hastily to his defense that you are poking your winch handle in the wrong direction!

Psst; (I am whispering this) "Jammer Six, just between you and I, I think that I share your disappointment."

Hey, who said that?

Tags
ais

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: