Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2013, 15:37   #511

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Please turn your AIS off when docked/moored/anchored

Loud alarms sounds from below...

Too busy above decks to go quiet them...

Worry, worry, worry, but try to tune them out till you can get to them.

It's inexpensive (perhaps only requiring ear plugs), certainly no fancy-dancy electronic [unstable in salt air environments anyway] gew -gaws! http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/...s/banghead.gif

Okay techie guys, back to your games! I know you have fun with it, and it's kind of interesting, too. http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/.../whistling.gif
Old 21-05-2013, 15:41   #512

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Okay techie guys, back to your games! I know you have fun with it, and it's kind of interesting, too.
Not I. Not one alarm on my boat, ever, unless you count the beeping when we approach a waypoint on the GPS. I use the Mark 1 Brain and the Mark 2 Eyeballs and Ears (and a paper chart most of the time).
Old 22-05-2013, 01:16   #513

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Loud alarms sounds from below...

Too busy above decks to go quiet them...

Worry, worry, worry, but try to tune them out till you can get to them.

It's inexpensive (perhaps only requiring ear plugs), certainly no fancy-dancy electronic [unstable in salt air environments anyway] gew -gaws! http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/...s/banghead.gif

Okay techie guys, back to your games! I know you have fun with it, and it's kind of interesting, too. http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/.../whistling.gif
Any alarm which is sounded over an N2K network can be silenced from any station. But I know what you mean -- I hated the DSC alarm on my old VHF (the one which came with the boat), which had no second station. You had to leave the helm and go below to silence it, and it was earsplitting. One time I just couldn't leave the helm, and the VHF melted down from the earsplitting, unsilenced alarm. Poetic justice. I threw it away and bought an ICom with second station.

I do have some freestanding alarms (exhaust temperature, bilge, gas), but the conditions which set off these are dreadful enough that you will drop everything, anyway.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 01:29   #514
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I use the Mark 1 Brain and the Mark 2 Eyeballs and Ears ...(and a paper chart most of the time).
Now you need to be very careful with those

All could do with upgrades, the brain has a well known serious software glitch in a tendency to see what it expects to see, not what's there. Eyes and ears can be severely limited by atmospheric conditions. Rule 5, "by all available means appropriate.."

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 14:17   #515

Boat: Hunter 36
With so many responses, short of reading them all, I have no idea if this was already covered by someone else, but its important.

Turn of your AIS when you are on the hard. I have found numerous AIS signals being transmitted from land, where boats have been stored on the hard. Aside from the distraction of a collision alarm, leaving the AIS transmitting for months has to be depleting the battery. I guess that it is possible that these units were wired directly into the battery and cannot be switched off. It may also explain the AIS units broadcasting when docked. In any case, I switch off my AIS alarm and reduce my safety zone when entering a port, because of the distraction and information overload otherwise, and prefer to visually monitor the AIS data overlay on my MFD screen for boats underway.

My AIS is wired into and powered off of my boat's navigation and communications electronic backbone. To turn the AIS off at a dock would mean shutting off all integrated electronics on my boat. I am reluctant to do that on short stopovers, but is certainly to be considered when in for long stays.
KStepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 05:21   #516

This from USCG; AIS Frequently Asked Questions

6. When must AIS be in operation? Vessels equipped with AIS (either by mandatory carriage or voluntarily) must abide by the requirements set forth in Title 33, Code of Federal Regulations, §§ 164.46 and 161.20, and should especially ensure their AIS is in 'effective operating condition', which entails the continuous operation of AIS and the accurate input and upkeep of AIS data fields during all times that the vessel is navigating (underway or at anchor). Should continual operation of AIS compromise the safety or security of the vessel or where a security incident is imminent, the AIS may be switched off. This action and the reason for taking it must be reported to the nearest U.S. Captain of the Port or Vessel Traffic Center and recorded in the ship's logbook. The AIS should return to continuous operation as soon as the source of danger has been mitigated.
Timd_chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 06:42   #517

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
One thing I personally would like to see on 'yachting alarms' is rather than just a generic buzzer, the AIS alarm says "AIS, AIS, AIS" and the engine overheat alarm says "overheat, overheat, overheat" and the radar guard zone say 'guard zone, . . . ", the autopilot failure alarm say "autopilot, ....". This is more common in some other application areas I am familiar with, and not all that hard to implement.
CUSTOMIZED VOICE ALARMS

Found them: These guys will make a customized alarm using your sound file. They also offer many alternate standard voice or chimes.

Piezo Audible Alarms & Buzzers - Floyd Bell, Inc.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 07:45   #518
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
CUSTOMIZED VOICE ALARMS

Originally Posted by estarzinger
One thing I personally would like to see on 'yachting alarms' is rather than just a generic buzzer, the AIS alarm says "AIS, AIS, AIS" and the engine overheat alarm says "overheat, overheat, overheat" and the radar guard zone say 'guard zone, . . . ", the autopilot failure alarm say "autopilot, ....". This is more common in some other application areas I am familiar with, and not all that hard to implement

For OpenCpn you can make them yourself .

Use Windows Sound Recorder: All Programs / Accessories / Sound Recorder.

Then voice your own and save as a WAV file and put into OpenCpn / Sounds.

Maybe use someone elses voice... soothing... reassuring... Hal?

I have downloaded a World War II Submarine Klaxton. It sounds fantastic. Whenever a ship is picked up on AIS Sea Life wants to dive...

I have a few different alarms I use. If anyone wants them right click and Save.

http://ourlifeatsea.com/sounds/drum.wav
http://ourlifeatsea.com/sounds/klaxon.wav
http://ourlifeatsea.com/sounds/machinegun.wav
http://ourlifeatsea.com/sounds/siren1.wav
http://ourlifeatsea.com/sounds/siren.wav

if you are going to be asleep the Machine gun works best

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 09:15   #519

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Good one, Mark! Hadn't thought of that.

Cheers,

JIm
Old 31-05-2013, 17:00   #520

Just a thought about the intent of the OP

The point is often made that, as Shaw observed, and as contributors to this thread have implied:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself."

But less often is the quotation completed: "Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

Furthermore, it seems to me that:

Technological progress does not supersede social progress, even though at times it may temporarily seem as though it might.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:07   #521

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Technological progress does not supersede social progress, even though at times it may temporarily seem as though it might.
I think something similar every time I elbow-check some eyes-down, texting idiot jaywalking into the bike lane from between two parked cars directly into my path.

I see myself as an agent of change in the form of Darwin. The lesson that physics doesn't care about your "LOL just 8 a most excellent sandwich, dude!" tweet needs to be impressed on our youth...for the good of our species.

I suppose I'm also an agent of emergency dentistry.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 00:41   #522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timd_chapman View Post

6. When must AIS be in operation? Vessels equipped with AIS (either by mandatory carriage or voluntarily) must abide by the requirements set forth in Title 33, Code of Federal Regulations, §§ 164.46 and 161.20, and should especially ensure their AIS is in 'effective operating condition', which entails the continuous operation of AIS and the accurate input and upkeep of AIS data fields during all times that the vessel is navigating (underway or at anchor). Should continual operation of AIS compromise the safety or security of the vessel or where a security incident is imminent, the AIS may be switched off. This action and the reason for taking it must be reported to the nearest U.S. Captain of the Port or Vessel Traffic Center and recorded in the ship's logbook. The AIS should return to continuous operation as soon as the source of danger has been mitigated.
I believe that the operative words in the regulation is that AIS should be in continuous operation...during the times that the vessel is navigating (underway or at anchor). Which I understand to mean not while docked and certainly not while stored on land.

The question that remains is the distinction, if any, to be made between being anchored and moored, as on a mooring ball (individual or field). In this case, I think that having the AIS turned on or off should be discretionary by the captain of the vessel. For example, a large, charted mooring field with a great many boats having their AIS turned on would be annalogous to being docked in a marina, where leaving the AIS on adds no safety, and is a source of distraction to other near by vessels underway. However, if it is one or a small number of uncharted mooring balls, the situation is not unlike being anchored, and therefore the AIS should be left on if there is the possibility of allision avoidance.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:47   #523

AIS is a free security system. you can sit at home with your laptop / iphone / ipad and load many different apps or websites that will show your boat is still were you left it at the marina, and still has 12v power. why would you turn it off?...

collision alarms should be off in the harbor. and your eyes should be open
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:23   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timd_chapman View Post

Well that's good information to know. So it sounds like short of having Somali pirates in the area you should not shut AIS off when underway or at anchor. Good to know as I sometimes anchor in busy ports like New York from time to time. Where ship traffic is closely monitored. Don't need a visit from the Coast Guard coming around asking why I shut my AIS off.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:05   #525

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
AIS is a free security system. you can sit at home with your laptop / iphone / ipad and load many different apps or websites that will show your boat is still were you left it at the marina, and still has 12v power. why would you turn it off?...

collision alarms should be off in the harbor. and your eyes should be open
Why you should turn off your AIS when at dock or on the hard? It has the very real potential of distracting or numbing the attention of those at the helm of passing boats and large ships to a very real AIS collision hazard. Which, I believe is the point of this post. I know it has that affect on me. I believe that overrides the "free security system" it affords you.

Tags
ais