Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2018, 14:16   #1

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Placement of second vhf station

I’m installing a raymarine 60 vhf, so that I can get a second vhf position by the helm, which should mean I actually get to use the vhf without having to run down below every time.

Before I drill too many holes, it’s time to decide where to position the second station. The secondary vhf is waterproof, but there’s no need to have it too exposed. There is a brilliant and obvious location for it on one of the helm positions, but these positions are very near the binnacle compasses. Although the installation instructions for the second station don’t mention avoiding compasses (and the instructions for the main unit clearly do), I’m guessing it would not be a great idea to have this too near a compass, given that it contains a speaker.

I could place it low down, but am concerned it would get wet or inadvertently kicked. I could place it centrally near the instruments, but the only place available is such that it would be too easy to knock it when moving around the cockpit. I just can’t decide.

Is there anyone out there who has mounted a secondary vhf station in an aft cockpit dual wheel situation who can recommend where they think is the best place after having used it?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 09:47   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Placement of second vhf station

Tillsbury,
Even in the 1970's, before "remote mics" became a normal thing on high-end radios (in the 80's), we would install a second VHF radio in the cockpit (with a second VHF antenna)...
I actually never understood the concept of not having VHF comms at the
helm??
(guess most of the guys designing / installing marine electronics / communications systems are not boaters/sailors, huh??)

But, onto tour query...

Yes, avoid placing it near your steering compass...
Although 1m (~ 3') is the standard acceptable distance, this can be difficult to attain in our mid-sized boats' cockpits...
But, do the best that you can to keep it away from the compass..
(see pic below of my set-up)
Understand that most of the remote mics / remote stations, are designed to have little magnetic influences, it is still best to not screw-up your primary compass (the one non-electronic piece of kit, that will allow you to get home, should everything else fail)...

While you haven't actually shown us "where" these locations are at, I suspect that the location you mention that is "down low" will be good...
This will allow the mic to out-of-the-way, until you need it...
In all my years (decades) of using remote mics, I've found the cords will usually give out first (whether from UV exposure or from being pulled/twisted too many times), and the plugs / jacks second (usually from corrosion, iromically because they were left open/exposed instead of actually connected together...as the mic was stowed below to save the cord, etc. from UV exposure)...
I've not seen one fail because it got wet!
If your Raymarine remote is not certified for exposure (such as IPS67 spec), then simply but a radio and mic that is (like Icom, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
I’m installing a raymarine 60 vhf, so that I can get a second vhf position by the helm, which should mean I actually get to use the vhf without having to run down below every time.

Before I drill too many holes, it’s time to decide where to position the second station. The secondary vhf is waterproof, but there’s no need to have it too exposed. There is a brilliant and obvious location for it on one of the helm positions, but these positions are very near the binnacle compasses. Although the installation instructions for the second station don’t mention avoiding compasses (and the instructions for the main unit clearly do), I’m guessing it would not be a great idea to have this too near a compass, given that it contains a speaker.

I could place it low down, but am concerned it would get wet or inadvertently kicked. I could place it centrally near the instruments, but the only place available is such that it would be too easy to knock it when moving around the cockpit. I just can’t decide.

Is there anyone out there who has mounted a secondary vhf station in an aft cockpit dual wheel situation who can recommend where they think is the best place after having used it?
Here are some pics showing my remote mic set-up....next-to and below the autopilot control....btw, the black and grey buttons are my windlass remote buttons..

Hope this helps.

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 15:39   #3

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Placement of second vhf station

Thanks John, that helps a lot. I would have liked to put it somewhere like that, but my wheel is so tight against the starboard coaming I just couldn't get it there. There's a place on top but I am thinking I want to reserve that space for a potential German mainsheet setup. The Raymarine handset is IPX7 so shouldn't matter where it is, and I've put it just behind the helm station next to the engine controls. I'm guessing that I'm most likely to be needing the VHF when I'm entering or leaving harbour and might well be under engine, so that's the best side. I also wanted it to be out of most of the direct sunlight, and not immediately visible from outside the boat so that there's less likelihood of someone taking it...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, vhf