Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2016, 08:23   #1

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
PC as Hotspot

Follow-up to this thread, separated to focus on one bit:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2274101

See approx post #24, 25 etc....

Following those instructions, I was able to quickly turn out Win 10 platform into a hotspot. Easy, and thanks to all.

Now I've started experimenting with the Win 7 laptop, which is much more capable as a PC (compared to the Win 10 2-in-1 tablet/PC). Results I can't quite interpret, so I'd appreciate a little help.

I have two normal Wi-Fi adapters, one built in (Intel 5300 AGN) and one external (Wave Magnum, USB connection to laptop). I also have a third "adapter" thing -- Microsoft Virtual WiFi MiniPort Adapter #2 -- "built in" to the laptop, but I don't know how real it is (that virtual thing) and in any case I don't know how to use it or it it would be useful for this project.

I can usually connect to the Internet using both adapters, or only one of the two. Usually the external adapter provides better signal quality, so we usually use that when there's any distance from an AP involved. In those cases, I can leave the onboard radio turned on... or I can turn it off... with no obvious effect either way.

For this experiment, the external adapter (aka Realtek RTL8187) is connected to our home router (connected to the wired network), and I have Wi-Fi Internet access.

I created an ad hoc network (easy), using the internal 5300 AGN adapter, and it says "waiting for users".... but I haven't been able to discover that network with any of our other devices. I'd have thought devices could connect to the ad hoc network, and the laptop Wi-Fi Internet connection via the external adapter would be the solution...

But it looks like the internal dapter can be either connected to the Internet (via our router) or it can be "waiting for users"...

I'm obviously missing something. Can somebody help me over this hurdle? Or is this hurdle able to be gotten over? (Meaning the Connectify solution?)

TIA, -Chris
Old 29-12-2016, 11:52   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: PC as Hotspot

Connectify does make this simple.
Old 30-12-2016, 06:26   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: PC as Hotspot

connectify is a good program. i use it when my antenna is programmed for its use and my netbook is not in fail mode as it currently happens to be. seems folks down here donot understand this aspect of I T
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote