Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 16:08   #1

Panic stricken auto pilot

Dear all
I have just i stalled an auto pilot system om my 29 foot cruiser (thanks Franziska for sorting out motor issues!j
It’s a st6000+ control head connected to a type one course computer and a simple activator arm. All raymarine/autohelm.

When I switch on the ”auto”-mode and connect it to my tiller it heavilly overreacts - throwing the tiller to one side hard, then to the other side just as hard before it stalls in an outer position chewing away for a while and then the display says something with ”stopped”, which I interpret as a disconnection in order to avoid overload.

Problem: instead of finding a balance point where fluxgate compass information lines up with desired course, it carries on turnint the tiller back and fourth between outer extremes.

I do not have a rudder reference, and should not need one according to the manual.

Kindly

Per
p.hammar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 16:12   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Panic stricken auto pilot

Unless I’m mistaken you need to train your autopilot for the magnetic environment. For my , admittedly older model, this required driving in circles. And some other setups that I forget right now.