Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 12:51   #1

Boat: Cal 2-46
Pactor connection to SSB

We are setting up our Pactor II USB to an Icom 706 MkII. so our lap top can access Gribs, emails etc.
I have the audio cable sorted.
I am struggling with making up the TRX control cable. This cable takes to frequency request from the laptop and changes to frequency in the SSB.
At the Pactor end it has a 13 pin plug. At the SSB it uses a stereo type plug. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2290.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	144509Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2282.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	144510

I am not clear which socket at the 13 pin plug goes to which part of the stereo plug.
Appreciate any guidance.

Pete B
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:53   #2

Re: Pactor connection to SSB

It is the RTTY connection on the SSB I want to connect to.
Old 02-04-2017, 13:09   #3

It's been a long time since I had a 706. Looking at the SCS manual, on the 13-pin plug coming out of the Pactor, pin 13 is ground and goes to the sleeve of the small phone plug. Pin 6 is the special output for control of Icom radios, sometimes called CI-V data, and is connected to the tip of the phone plug. This has nothing to do with the RTTY mode.
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 13:11   #4

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Hmmmmmm... I'm away from my toys just now.... however...

You should be connecting the Pactor to the 13 Pin DIN on the Icom..... not the RTTY plug.

Now comes the 'Fun' bit.... not all plugs are created equal.... A standard plug from Jaycar or wherever will not fit the Pactor... there is about a fraction of a milli-micron difference in diameter.

So you need one of these... Pactor (Email via Radio) - Modem Accessories - Pactor Modem Cable Set (please read detailed description) - radios.net.au shop

$25... job sorted
Old 03-04-2017, 21:23   #5

The connection at the Icom SAB end is a stereo socket. The 13 pin is at the Pactor end.
Pete
Old 03-04-2017, 21:30   #6

Is the sleeve a single piece or double piece (excluding the tip) I think I should be using a double (stereo) plug. If so do I connect the ground to the mid section or the section nearest the plug grip?
Old 05-04-2017, 13:30   #7

The control socket on the Icom is a monaural, not a stereo socket. The stereo plug, starting from the end has three connections: the tip, the ring and the sleeve. The monaural plug has only the tip and the sleeve. If you have only a stereo plug, you can usually just connect the tip and the sleeve connections. The sleeve is ground.
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 21:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svinshallah View Post
The control socket on the Icom is a monaural, not a stereo socket. The stereo plug, starting from the end has three connections: the tip, the ring and the sleeve. The monaural plug has only the tip and the sleeve. If you have only a stereo plug, you can usually just connect the tip and the sleeve connections. The sleeve is ground.

I don't seem to be getting there. Wired the 13 pin (13 and 6) to a mono aural. All plugs in place. Laptop on and Pactor on. On the SSB the TX light stays on???
No sounds from the SSB. Removed the Pactor wires from the SSB and the TX light goes out and the SSB reverts to normal.
Glug.
Any thoughts ??

Pete B
Old 09-04-2017, 05:45   #9

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

If the TX light comes on it is indeed in transmit mode. You are taking the PTT line to ground somewhere.

check all of your connections that there is nothing shorted at the connector and nothing is touching where it shouldn't be touching. No solder bridges.

I've made many of these cables and a stray strand of wire can be a real pain. In all honesty if there is a commercial cable available it's worth the $20 to not have my old eyes strain and shaky hands try to fight those connectors for me.

However, it's easy enough to do if your hands are steady and your eyes can see well enough to solder to the connectors.

Often it is not possible to use more than one connector at the same time on some devices that don't have good isolation. I've run into that more than once as well. In this case sometimes it can be a challenge, but still doable.

It's very easy to get your wires crossed so to speak. Something you want to check very closely is the pinout and remember that it is often as you look into the connector on the equipment, not the end of the cable so everything is 180 out like a negative photograph. It helps me to draw out the connector and write the numbers down, if your cable has colors match those with the connector numbers so you've got everything right when you get to the other end.

if you are 100% sure everything is right on the 13 pin din, reverse polarity on the mono plug and give it a go.

Before starting over, check all the software settings. Some use RST/DTR for TX, They may be checked causing the software to key the radio. One way to check it is to power off the machine and plug in the cable. If it isn't in TX when the machine is off the software is keying it. Otherwise you have a grounded TX circuit in the cabling.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:00   #10

I have a spare cable with the multi colour wires.
To be 100% sure I get the right wires for 13 and 6 do you know the colour code for these two wires? .
I can check with the multi meter but you are right, the negative view is confusing but I thought I had this sorted.
It is just after midnight here in NZ so will wait till I get back on board to follow through on all your comments.
Thanks again. You have been very helpful.
Pete.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:18   #11

You haven't said which model Pactor you have and I don't know if it makes a difference but this is the info for the 7400/7800 http://slingthehook.com/files/upload...gon_Manual.pdf
Scroll down to page 81.. 7.1.1

Then on page 83 7.1.5 there is a pic of your 3.5mm jack wiring.
I have also noticed something there about 8 pin plugs on page 77.... pactor plug has a 'U' configaration of pins, many other 8 pin plugs have circular config...
I know that was not your problem but I find it interesting......
Old 10-04-2017, 03:19   #12

Just realised you have a Pactor II... hope above info is still usefull
Old 12-04-2017, 19:04   #13

Thanks for that info. Checked the wires again and found the earth was also attached to the jacket of the 13 pin.
Got a new 13 pin and wires in only the black (6)and the orange (13). And tested for leaks, none found.
Unable to test on board as we are in the target zone of tropical cyclone COOK so will not be able to test for a day or so.
Flooding everywhere. Winds yet to get going. An hour or so away.

Pete.
Old 17-04-2017, 22:09   #14

The cyclone COOK missed us by about 100km.
Back on board with the new cable.
Still gets TX.
Disconnected from the lap top. Still get TX.
Should I try reversing the polarity??

Pete
Old 17-04-2017, 23:22   #15

Aha. I feel such a fool.
1/- I had not entered to CIV address 4EH
2/- I had not entered the correct baud rate 19200
3/- I had used the RTTY socket on the SSB. Not the "Remote". The sockets are only noted on the side of the SSB.

Thanks to you all for your help.
Pete.

Tags
pactor, ssb