Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2014, 00:50   #31

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Pactor 4 on an Icom 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSailor View Post
The display on the 7400 might make it easier to identify a channel that is already busy, such that one doesn't step on a link already in progress - which happens a bit too frequently methinks. Whether it would be better than a careful listen, I don't know.
Both Dragons have a built-in busy detector. The status is available in software (used by RMS-Express but not, I believe, Airmail). It is also reflected by the front panel TFC indicator on the DR-7400. I don't recall seeing any indicator on the OLED of the DR-7800.

I know the busy detect circuit responds to Pactor, RTTY, and Packet. It is supposed to work for PSK-31, JT-65, Olivia, radiofax, etc. and indeed for anything except a constant carrier.

For most cruisers only really interested in using Pactor for e-mail with Sailmail or Winlink (or Shipcom or Bushemail or CruiseEmail) there is no substitute for listening carefully.

For those truly interested in a waterfall display (which is just an energy v. time display) a software based on a computer will be much better. In addition to the waterfall display in RMS Express programs including multipsk, DigiPan, and Echolink have first rate displays.

Incidentally many people install Pactor modems buried somewhere in the boat. Flip the #1 dip switch on the back of the modem to the 'ON' position and, if you use power from the radio for the modem, the modem will automatically turn on and off with the radio.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, pactor