Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2017, 21:25   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Overloaded 12v circuit with 24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

And you forgot the apostrophe in ones [sic] where it's used as a contraction.
Hartman's Law of Prescriptivist Retaliation strikes again.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 21:27   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
My turn.

Serial could be a noun (a story published in installments in a periodical for example) or an adjective so both could be nouns.
Ah, but I did say "In context"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 23:38   #33

Hey thanks to those of you who gave advice without becoming too condescending. I've sorted the issue.
Replaced the fused wire between the alternator and starter. Alternator tested bad so fitted the spare. All working well.
I may not know the correct terminogy or explain myself well but given sound advice I can sort issues. It was a stupid mistake but I owned it and fixed it.
Owning a boat is a steep learning curve for me but I'm growing and learning.
I can now do a multitude of boat tasks but I still have to admit vulnerability. Getting advice helps. Using professional for every little event keeps me vulnerable when none are around. ( Like 4 days before Christmas)
Cheers everyone.
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 05:22   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzmal View Post
Hey thanks to those of you who gave advice without becoming too condescending. I've sorted the issue.
Replaced the fused wire between the alternator and starter. Alternator tested bad so fitted the spare. All working well.
I may not know the correct terminogy or explain myself well but given sound advice I can sort issues. It was a stupid mistake but I owned it and fixed it.
I can now do a multitude of boat tasks but I still have to admit vulnerability. Getting advice helps. Using professional for every little event keeps me vulnerable when none are around. ( Like 4 days before Christmas)
Cheers everyone.

Hi Nzmal,

Your point is quite valid and your ambition to learn to deal yourself with boat problems is a good one. It can be a problem not just around the holidays. By it's very nature, sailing and cruising takes one away from immediate assistance. Even a few miles from the dock can make it difficult to find a tech and a few hundred miles off into the islands it could be impossible.

If I may offer an excuse for some of the skepticism in this discussion, electrical repair is an area that does offer more potential hazards than most other kinds of boat maintenance. While not as dangerous as working on high voltage AC there is the potential even with 12V DC for injury or fire. I feel certain that the suggestions here to contact a professional were motivated by concern for the safety of you and your boat and not due to arrogance.

Of course you noticed a number of comments (including my own) about the terminology you used in describing the problems. Like things boaty, electrical has its own language for a good reason. Electrical issues can be quite complex and to give an accurate description of something electrical requires accurate language. Even with pros accurate language may be insufficient and it often requires drawings and diagrams to sort things out.

If I may suggest, a good next step in furthering your electrical expertise is to pick up a boat repair book with a section on basic to intermediate electrical repair. A really excellent book is Nigel Calder's Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual. This does cover basics but may be a little advanced for a first book on the subject. It is also a great reference on all things marine. Another option, one of the classics is The 12V Doctor's Practical Handbook which can be downloaded free on the internet.

Good luck and glad you sorted your problem. Keep at it and shortly you'll be an expert offering advise on this forum.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 05:24   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Ah, but I did say "In context"
Concede one point back to Stu
Old 20-12-2017, 06:10   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Hartman's Law of Prescriptivist Retaliation strikes again.
OK, had to look that one up. Had seen it but never knew it had a name. I'll concede another half point.
Old 20-12-2017, 06:43   #37

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Cheers everyone.
Glad you got it going.

I'm curious what you used to replace the wire. The reason I ask is that given the fact that you got smoke from the wire burning, and it cooked the alternator, I find it hard to believe the original was a fused wire. Fused wire (commonly called fusible link) generally burns the wire without burning the insulation, so no smoke. Also, the fuse link should burn before enough current flows to burn up the alternator.

My concern is that you may have replaced it with too small wire, and it could burn for no reason at an inopportune time. Too big, and it negates the purpose of the fuse.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 08:02   #38

Quote:
Cheers everyone.
Please buy some labels or a roll of red electrical tape, and mark the polarity of the battery terminal wires NOW. Before you dot another i or cross another t, Bob Cratchit! (just making this seasonal )
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 09:12   #39

Thanks people. I replaced the wire with a length crimped and sized by the electrician who tested the alternator for me.
I'm already enrolled in a boat electrical workshop next year. 😊
...And the batteries now have much clearer markings on the terminals..
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa