Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 12:58   #1

Outfitting a new boat; can't decide between two options

Hello,

I have just purchased a beneteau first 20 to be used in upstate New York lakes primarily; although a few Long Island sound trips will be in the cards soon.

I have two options when it comes to outfitting my electronics. My needs are speed, depth, wind, gps and a stereo. The boat comes standard with the TackTick speed/depth.

My two options are as follows:

1. Utilize the TackTick speed/depth that came with the boat, then add a TackTick wind display, a fusion stereo and install a mount for a Garmin handheld gps that I have.
Pros;This option is the cheaper by about $300. I also get to use what I already have.
Cons; I have a lot of equipment, running different software and taking up a lot of space.

2. Ditch everything I have and what came with the boat and buy a B&G Zeus 7 and necessary transducers for speed/depth/wind/chart plotter all in one. The fusion stereo mount would be separate. I would mount the big display on a swivel that will swing out through the companionway while sailing.
Pros; less space used, bigger/better display for all information, chart plotter a significant upgrade from handheld.
Cons; more expensive by about $300. Won't utilize equipment I already own. More likely to have theft possibly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
RaqLake1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 13:55   #2

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Re: Outfitting a new boat; can't decide between two options

You've asked for opinions and on CF, that's what you're going to receive right or wrong. I'll go first:

Obviously, this is a matter of personal budget.

I'd go with option 2, and sell all of your non-compatible equipment on eBay. The benefit of having a good quality plotter along with a handheld backup gps will become obvious when you're planning and executing your longer trips.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2014, 14:02   #3

Opinion 2:

Option 1 but without the wind display. There's really little need for it, you should learn the wind speeds from, for example, the Beaufort scale. I sailed for the first 17 years without one, and in the past 16 years with one that I rarely look at.

You could also get a much higher end car stereo than the $$ on a fusion.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 14:50   #4

Boat: Catalina 387

You don't mention your experience or usage of the boat. Cruising around, who cares that much about windspeed or thru-the-water speed. Racing is another story.

I agree with Stu, just use a car stereo rather than a marinized unit. Put it below. Use marinized speakers if you mount them in the cockpit. Heck, a decent mechless deck is now pretty cheap. Keep the instruments you have and don't worry 'bout wind (but have a windex)

OTOH, if you can get them NOT to install/charge for the tacktic's, a wired garmin/ray/etc... system is generally much cheaper than the wireless. (You can get speed/depth/wind with a display for under $1K if you look around)
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 15:18   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I'd use what I had for a while and then decide if the upgrades were needed or not.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 16:38   #6

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the replies.

The boat is being used for a summer camp, teaching children basics of sailing. This is the first boat we've had that is bigger than the typical trainer boat, such as a sunfish, etc. that being the case, I though it would be prudent to outfit the boat with typical electronics to instruct the children in how to use them efficiently. Wether or not they use them in the end is another story altogether, however as the business owner, it's in my best interest to give the head of our sailing department at my camp the best possible equipment.

There's also my personal use which is where the stereo comes into play. Haha!
ill use the boat in the Long Island sound and possibly in Florida where I spend a good amount of time during the winter.

Hope that helps narrow down my needs..

Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2014, 19:36   #7

Boat: Cascade 36

FWIW....

B&G are offering some very nice rebates on the Zeus T7 and their Triton Speed, Depth, Temp, and Wind instrument package. A few hundred back on the T7 and an extra Triton Display on the instrument package.

I'm not affiliated...I'm just taking them up on the offer.

Also, you can get some pretty good prices from some of the "wholesalers" online. Another couple hundred bucks off MSRP usually.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 19:45   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Use what you have for a year
Then decide...
Just my deux cents
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 20:03   #9

Unfortunately I'm not sure the wait and see approach will really fit for my current needs this season. Assuming I'm going with one of the two options; is there any practical reason to go one way or another?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2014, 20:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Use marinized speakers if you mount them in the cockpit.

There's a special level of hell reserved for people who use cockpit speakers in an anchorage...
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 20:21   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Congratulations on the new boat. I'm a dinosaur so will give you the dinosaur opinion. You don't need a wind speed instrument. You don't need a wind direction arrow. Yarn telltales (or those fancy production stick ons) will tell you more about sail trim. A depth sounder is a must and your handheld GPS will tell you boat speed if you need to know it for navigation. Sorting out "nice to have and want" vs "need to have" is a never ending process. If you are training kids they will learn a lot more without the instruments.
Old 08-05-2014, 20:49   #12

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39

I like the B&G option, also. But remember you will need to put together a basic NMEA2000 network for everything to interface properly. Not difficult, but it hasn't been mentioned and entails a little bit of expense. Depending on what is provided with the components, at least a network powertap Tee will be needed along with a backbone. Maybe a couple of T connectors and some cabling. Check out Maretron's website to learn the basics.
Good luck with your new boat.
Bill
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 21:17   #13

Thank you all! I will take all of your comments into consideration. Much appreciated.