Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 22:20   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Out of My Depth

hi all

my nexus depth sounder just went blank the other day, and i cant seem to get it back on-line. the manual doesn't seem to offer much help.

there is power to the unit, and only the depth reading has stopped - see photo. i pulled the transducer and gave it a bit of clean (thinking bottom gunk may have been the issue), but nothing changed.

does anyone have any tips about what im missing ??

many thanks for any help

kk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Depthsounder.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	118574  
keelkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 22:39   #2

Re: Out of My Depth

Can only suggest you check/clean all the connections. The marine environment corrodes stuff. A friend gave me a Robbe retractable fibreglass brush, usually used for cleaning contacts on RC models. Works great on boat electronics too.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 22:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Besides the previous info on corrosion, take a look at the circuit board for obvious signs of heat, melting or burning. Sometimes because of corrosion reducing the required voltage, a circuit board element will draw more watts and burn out. There are companies that repair almost any board. In the US about $50 and up. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a new sounder.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 23:42   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

The three dashes usually means the depth is too great, so it's not getting the message from the transducer. Have you checked the connections at and the condition of the, I think it's called, the "WS" box. Sometimes just pulling all the plugs and reseating everything can resolve problems.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:18   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Try the system re-set.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:06   #6

You could try listening to the transducer and see if you here the pop pop pop from it if so it would indicate that the signal has been sent from control head and the transducer has done its job but if not it could be either
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:34   #7

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

If all of the above great suggestions fail, especially the rebooting of the control head, buy a new transducer and hang it over the side. If it works keep it, if not take it back for a refund.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:10   #8
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelkicker View Post
hi all

my nexus depth sounder just went blank the other day, and i cant seem to get it back on-line. the manual doesn't seem to offer much help.

there is power to the unit, and only the depth reading has stopped - see photo. i pulled the transducer and gave it a bit of clean (thinking bottom gunk may have been the issue), but nothing changed.

does anyone have any tips about what im missing ??

many thanks for any help

kk
Q1: Is the boat in the water? (Depthsounders won't work in air.)

Q2: If yes, then what is the depth where the boat is located?

Q3: Is there anything that has changed on the boat, since it last worked?

Trouble shooting:

1. Pull the transducer, fire the unit up, and listen, you should here a continuous series of clicks with various rep rates.

2. Alternatively, while pressing hard, slide your fingers across the transducer face; you should feel the pulses.

3. If there are no pulses, check the transducer connection at the display head.

4. If all seems well, check the cable over it's length for any nicks or kinks. (Repair if necessary.)

5. If it is under warranty, call the manufacturer.

6. If it is not under warranty, get another transducer (from a retailer with a good return policy), plug it into the display head, and dangle over the side of the boat in the water to see if it works.

7. If it works, try replacing the original transducer cable.

8. If that works, make a permanent splice and return the new transducer for refund.

9. If replacing the original cable doesn't work, replace the entire transducer and cable.

Disclosure: I sell and install marine instruments. This post is offered as free advice and not intended to solicit business.

Ramblin Rod
Marine Service Provider
Certified Raymarine Installer
About Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:07   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

A WAG is you should check the , probably, coax to your transducer.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 13:50   #10

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Anyone needs TWO depth sounders
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 13:53   #11

Boat: None at this time, still looking for my next great looper

If your connector has a series of pins, check alignment of male pins and holes of the female unit for corrosion inside the brass/copper tubes. If all pins do not make proper contact, you can get signals much like your photo shows.
KidSheeleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:17   #12

Hi all

My thanks for all the tips.

I was back to the boat today and pulled the transducer to have a peek - now that's an interesting process for the uninitiated, staring down a hole I've just made in the hull while fumbling around to plug it with a blank to hold back the seawater geyser....

No noise, pings, pops or vibrations from the transducer, so I'm guessing there's a problem there somewhere. I will investigate further.....

I've had the back off the display and it all looks good, as does the cabling, and I'm trying to chase it to find the WIS box as you suggest Reefmagnet, but it seems artfully well hidden at this stage - you don't happen to remember where you put it do you ??? (I'm pretty sure my boat is the Albin Vega you refitted a couple of years ago )

cheers

kk
Old 09-02-2016, 04:29   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelkicker View Post
Hi all

My thanks for all the tips.

I was back to the boat today and pulled the transducer to have a peek - now that's an interesting process for the uninitiated, staring down a hole I've just made in the hull while fumbling around to plug it with a blank to hold back the seawater geyser....

No noise, pings, pops or vibrations from the transducer, so I'm guessing there's a problem there somewhere. I will investigate further.....

I've had the back off the display and it all looks good, as does the cabling, and I'm trying to chase it to find the WIS box as you suggest Reefmagnet, but it seems artfully well hidden at this stage - you don't happen to remember where you put it do you ??? (I'm pretty sure my boat is the Albin Vega you refitted a couple of years ago )

cheers

kk
Really? (609?) if so, have a look inside the cupboard above the sink (I think! - it did need to be installed with a clear view to the wireless wind transducer). It's a small black box. I don't recall the transducer making any noises when operating, but maybe it does. One weird thing I found with that install was that if you swap the paddle wheel and depth transducers across the through hulls, speed stops working. I'd say due to water turbulence. Also, check the manual because I think there is a setup mode that may also provide some diagnostic information.

Ps, you should see the geyser from a 52mm through hull, 2 feet below the waterline, with a broken flap door. That's truly scary!

Good luck!

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-02-2016, 02:02   #14

Hi Reefmagnet

Yep, V609 is the one. I put some new sails on her this January - see photo - she goes like the wind !! (love your work by the way ...)

I found the WIS (where you thought it was) and stared at it for a while. Then I stared some more, but still nothing changed. So I called a man, and he thinks its the WIS and not the transducer. We are now tracking down a repair / replacement option.

Thanks for the tips !

kk
Old 18-02-2016, 04:24   #15

Cheers, appreciate the appreciation! If you haven't got them already send me a pm and I'll send you a link to all the refurb photos.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
depth