Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2015, 06:30   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Optolamp Masthead Optolamp Amazonia - Strobe only, Seatalk Link installed

The masthead Optolamp Amazonia nav-anchor light started strobing only (tried all switches, no change) and I just installed a gadgetpoole.de Tiny Seatalk Bridge with galvanic isolated RS232. This version is powered directly from 12vdc red and black power leads.

Here is the pdf link for the Optolamp Amazonia wiring diagram
https://www.google.com/search?q=opto...utf-8&oe=utf-8
The light is not using the "Fast Strobe" option. The strobe is normally activated by a 2-way switch on the "orange" lead which connects to black (-). The other 3 way switch controls "Navigation Lights - Off - Anchor" b simply reversing polarity (+) and (-) or disconnecting.

Is it possible that this addition of the Tiny Seatalk Bridge power leads has caused the masthead anchor light to strobe?
I suppose I should disconnect the Tiny Seatalk and see what happens.

The other possibility is that there has been some chafe at the top of the mast on the wires because the strobe is activated all the time. I will have to check that this winter with the mast down.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 19:31   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Optolamp Masthead Optolamp Amazonia - Strobe only, Seatalk Link installed

Found, after the mast was down for the winter, that I had put a masthead screw right into the wiring which evidently shorted two wires and caused the strobing. I took the screw out and tested and the lamp worked fine. The next spring I fixed the hole in the wire and it is working fine now.

Three suggestions for testing:
1. Make a good close fitting light cover of light cardboard or duct tape which can slid over the light.
2. When testing, make a connection and wait just under a minute, slide to cover off and see if the light is on, if not, try the next connections, until the light is found to be on.
3. Then reverse the polarity of the two wires at the mast base, and the light should switch from Nav to Anchor or the reverse.
4. I never test the strobe feature, but it seems to always work ok (3 seasons). The wiring diagram will show what to do to test that.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mast, seatalk