Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2012, 17:25   #1
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
Options for SeaPilot Autopilot Head Replacement?

I am having some issues with my SeaPilot AP. It seems to want to turn the wheel all the way to the left, as though it's stuck in left override. I'm thinking I might need to replace it, but since the system has a very robust motor drive system, I'm wondering if I can save any of it. Any suggestions?
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 17:54   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
The drive is one piece. You have a compass, rudder direction component, control and the brain. Are there faults showing is the direction heading okay ? Don't chi h the system until you check the pieces.could be a loose or corroded connection at any given point. Or something messing with the compass.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 19:33   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Options for SeaPilot Autopilot Head Replacement?

Okay thanks. There are two lights, red and green. The manual says to wait for them to balance and go out, then switch to duty, but the green one doesn't seem to come on. Could be burnt out or?? When sitting at the dock in standby, the red light flickers on and off, but no green. I'm going to assume red is port ad green is starboard.

There is a right left toggle switch. I though it was seized but it was switching up and down. I rotated it in the socket so no it goes back and forth horizontally, but it might be upside down. Regardless, when I've successfully had it cycling at the dock, activating th switch either way has no affect on the wheel. The wheel cycles back and forth a few inches every second or so, and I can't tune it out, so that would really eat the batteries.

Most times though it will go straight into a hard left until the wheel maxes out.

The rudder dial is very stiff and turns past the end. This could be the locking screws but turning that doesn't seem to do anything either.

The binnacle in the hanging locker in the v-berth and there was a fire extinguisher hanging a few inches below and beside. I've removed it now. There are also some electrical wires running up the same bulkhead maybe 6" away as well. Not sure I that would have an effect. The broker knew the owner who passed, and assures me it was working, so not sure what's up.
Old 28-04-2012, 21:02   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
Some where those wiresgi to a control head/ box. Maybe there is a name. Sounds like older unit ? That dies not mean it's trash. I just put a garmin control head on board attached to a ray marine drive. And octopus drive as back up. Most ap head units will connect with other drives. See can you get a brand off the compass or head unit. Check the wiring.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 21:48   #5
Marine Service Provider

There's an old blue porcelain enameled thermos shaped binnacle in the hanging locker. It has some old school label tape on it that says BU2/6272 on it.
Old 28-04-2012, 21:57   #6
Marine Service Provider

Sharp Seapilot Mk1. Oh and I found a remote for it. Perhaps if a switch is failed the remote can control the head unit. There's a covered port that I thought was a blank. Hopefully it's not corroded solid. I'll look in the light tomorrow morning.

Tags
autopilot, head