Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2019, 03:33   #1

OpenPlotter update from v1.0.0 to v1.2.x + ERROR

Hi all

I just installed OpenPlotter for the first time and had a lot of problems with updating it so here is something for anyone who might face the same problem in future:

Download Openplotter v1.0.0 NOOBS (Not image)
- Extract the zip file
- Insert to SD card to windows PC
- Download and run the free "SD CARD FORMATTER"
- Download and run the free "guiformat.exe" to force your SD card to format as FAT32
- Copy over the NOOBS files from the extracted zip inside the NOOBS folder to your SD card
- Eject your SD card, insert into the PI and power it on and let it install OPENPLOTTER silently (you can follow the install on the screen using and HDMI connection)
- When done it will boot OS but you will not have internet because it is working as an access point and you can not do both access point and internet on the same time.
- To get internet press the Open plotter Icon (anchor image) and then go to Network. Under network select client, press apply and restart. After the restart press the wifi symbol and wait for 10 sec then all your possible network wifi's should come up. Login to a router and get internet.

HOWEVER

- it seems that you cannot update OpenPlotter using the build in network on the Raspberry PI because part of the update is updating the software for that hardware. As a result the only way to update from v.1.0.0 to v.1.2.x is:

- Go to OpenPlotter and set network to RPI3: AP + client and the sharing device as wlan0. Reboot and either use an external usb wifi or ethernet cable. That will guaranteed work.

- Now open the openplotter program again, select update in the menu and update openplotter.

Kind Regards,
Peter
peter- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 03:39   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: OpenPlotter update from v1.0.0 to v1.2.x

Is there much point installing V1 when V2 beta is working already and release imminent?
OpenPlotter 2 roadmap
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 05:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Is there much point installing V1 when V2 beta is working already and release imminent?
OpenPlotter 2 roadmap
Oh I didn’t know that - just wanted other people to save time if they got into the same issue as me.

Why should I use V2? Any new features? I mean V1.2.x has all the features I could ever have imagined...

Also, will it be easy to upgrade from V2 Beta to the final production version? When will it release?
Old 16-11-2019, 06:10   #4
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter- View Post
Oh I didn’t know that - just wanted other people to save time if they got into the same issue as me.

Why should I use V2? Any new features? I mean V1.2.x has all the features I could ever have imagined...

Also, will it be easy to upgrade from V2 Beta to the final production version? When will it release?
Having just moved over to V2 - ditch V1
It's very different, menus to install/update now. Though signalk now does much of what openplotter did at the start.

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 08:32   #5

[QUOTE=conachair;3016941]Having just moved over to V2 - ditch V1
It's very different, menus to install/update now. Though signalk now does much of what openplotter did at the start.

Ok since I'm on a new install as per today I don't really have much to loose I guess. I'll do it on a seperate sd such that I can always switch back to V1 if something doesn't work corretly.

Thanks for the tip (again)!