Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-06-2016, 13:28   #826
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenPlotter project

It seems that opencpn version 4.4 released 13 June 2016 is still not available when doing an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade on the openplotter terminal window.

Is there any instructions how to upgrade openplotter 0.8 to opencpn 4.4 ?

When trying the normal ubuntu way, the terminal complains

Code:
Error: could not find a distribution template for Raspbian/jessie
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 01:59   #827

How to update to OpenCPN 4.4.0 development version on OpenPlotter v0.8.0

OpenPlotter will use the OpenCPN development version until OpenPlotter v1.0.0, then we will switch to OpenCPN stable version. In this way we can help the development of OpenCPN. The OpenCPN team has changed sources so you need to follow these steps to update.

Open a terminal an type:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
then you have to change:

Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nohal/opencpn/ubuntu/ trusty main
by:

Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bdbcat/opencpn/ubuntu/ trusty main
Press Crl+X to save.

Now type:

Code:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys  7425C74D
Having the sources updated, just upgrade typing:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Due to some updates, some items will change into the main menu. OpenCPN will be now under "Education" category. You have to edit your menu either with the "Main Menu Editor" or manually.
Old 23-06-2016, 13:19   #828

...Seatalk....!

Ooh, ooh! Can someone point me to connection details etc.? I have the USB serial adapter and we run series 60 Raymarine instruments on our boat - I'd all but given up hope of getting them to talk to OpenPlotter....
Mwad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 06:36   #829

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwad7 View Post
...Seatalk....!

Ooh, ooh! Can someone point me to connection details etc.? I have the USB serial adapter and we run series 60 Raymarine instruments on our boat - I'd all but given up hope of getting them to talk to OpenPlotter....
First you need an SeaTalk/NMEA data converter. (The USB - serial adapter is not enough on its own.) There are third party products around but I use a Raymarine bridge - like this one. This bridges between the SeaTalk bus and the serial(USB) connection to the Pi.
A word of warning - I cant get wind angle/direction data to convert properly (on going problem for me) but the basic data conversion seems to work OK as I do get wind speed, water depth/temp, magnetic heading etc from the Seatalk bus correctly. I also send GPS position data IN to the Seatalk bus having converted from NMEA
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 10:08   #830

Thanks Affinite.

Looks like this could get quite spendy! We've got a proper antenna coming to retry AIS on our next trip in July (the throwaway one that comes with the DVB-T gave predictably poor range).

If we can get the AIS working sensibly, we might consider a Seatalk bridge - but I think we need to make the jump in our minds from OP on Pi being a bit of fun to a genuine aid.
Mwad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 17:09   #831

@Mwad7

For what it's worth we have been using a Pi2 now for a while for primary navigation using OpenCPN latterly OpenPlotter 0.8.0

It is fully integrated into the boat we have a Digital Yacht AIT2000 AIS transponder connected via USB and have wind connected via NMEA to the AIT2000. We drive the DSC radio from the AIT2000. We drive the Autopilot and a cockpit repeater via a Serial to USB converter and OpenCPN.

Apart from no OpenGL it works fine. I look forward to the day we have a native OpenGL driver and OpenCPN versions for the pi.

We also use the pi for games, email, weather etc. We can also connect via phones and tablets.

Cheers
Spart
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 00:43   #832

Quote:
Thanks Affinite.

Looks like this could get quite spendy! We've got a proper antenna coming to retry AIS on our next trip in July (the throwaway one that comes with the DVB-T gave predictably poor range).

If we can get the AIS working sensibly, we might consider a Seatalk bridge - but I think we need to make the jump in our minds from OP on Pi being a bit of fun to a genuine aid.
Like Sparticle I consider Openplotter a working product and I'm very pleased with it. We have just returned from a 5 week cruise with OP as the primary nav computer. (I actually have a "proper" Garmin chartplotter as backup) I output NMEA to the DSC radio and take AIS input. OP drives my autopilot via a SeaTalk-NMEA converter and a wireless cockpit repeater over WiFi. I have a couple of small on-going problems (Interference on AIS from engine and incorrect conversion of SeaTalk Wind direction data) but they aren't OP issues and I can live with these until resolved.
I don't consider it to be expensive but I enjoy the project anyway.
I have 2 Pi's so I can experiment with one but leave the boat Pi untouched once I have a stable build.
Old 27-06-2016, 04:21   #833

@sailoog

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but we need to configure OpenPlotter 0.8.0 with a static IP for its eth0 connection. We cannot seem to make this work even if we configure a static IP in /etc/network/interfaces by editing the string set in the wifi_server.py file. It still seems to pick up the last dhcp IP address even though the interfaces file is written correctly and we end up with both the last dhcp address and the static IP we configured active.

It would be very useful to be able to configure the static ip via the OpenPlotter app as you are not using network manager.

Can you advise please.

Cheers
Spart
Old 27-06-2016, 04:31   #834

Quote:
...Seatalk....!

A Raymarine 85001 will solve that problem in a solid state way! Just connect the serial adaptor into it and output seatalk to your seatalk bus. Or if you are running HS out on the serial adaptor get another one to talk low speed to the 85001 and send/receive whatever sentences you want.

Cheers
Spart
Old 27-06-2016, 06:02   #835

85001 manual attached.

Cheers
Spart
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85001 nmea.pdf (141.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 29-06-2016, 06:23   #836

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticle View Post
A Raymarine 85001 will solve that problem in a solid state way! Just connect the serial adaptor into it and output seatalk to your seatalk bus. Or if you are running HS out on the serial adaptor get another one to talk low speed to the 85001 and send/receive whatever sentences you want.

Cheers
Spart
YUP that's what I use aso. Do you ?
If so, do you get Wind Angle data correctly? I don't
Old 29-06-2016, 10:34   #837
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

A question with respect to the Can/N2K dongle:
connected to our N2K net, Leds are blinking
but no data in OCPN nor in the SK server.

How to point the SK server to the correct /ttyUSB ?
Do I have to register the gateway at USB devices - what obliges to "christian" it with a different name?

Running the RasPi headless via Ethernet and RDP - works well.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 11:09   #838

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
A question with respect to the Can/N2K dongle:
connected to our N2K net, Leds are blinking
but no data in OCPN nor in the SK server.

How to point the SK server to the correct /ttyUSB ?
Do I have to register the gateway at USB devices - what obliges to "christian" it with a different name?

Running the RasPi headless via Ethernet and RDP - works well.
To get data into the SK server from the CAN-USB device go to "Signal K" tab in OpenPlotter. Disable "Enable Signal K server". Select the correct /ttyUSB device in the CAN-USB field (before this you may want to add the device in the "USB manager" tab with a custom name). You can edit your MMSI and vessel name too. Enable "Enable Signal K server" again and that's all.

OCPN doesn't understand signal k so you can't get data from your N2K net yet.
Old 29-06-2016, 11:15   #839
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
Disable "Enable Signal K server".
OCPN doesn't understand signal k so you can't get data from your N2K net yet.
Point 1: that's clear now, but needs to be reflected in the docs and perhaps in the menu itself

Point 2: sure, but should get the NMEA0183 data stream from the SK server, or not?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 11:20   #840

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticle View Post
@sailoog

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but we need to configure OpenPlotter 0.8.0 with a static IP for its eth0 connection. We cannot seem to make this work even if we configure a static IP in /etc/network/interfaces by editing the string set in the wifi_server.py file. It still seems to pick up the last dhcp IP address even though the interfaces file is written correctly and we end up with both the last dhcp address and the static IP we configured active.

It would be very useful to be able to configure the static ip via the OpenPlotter app as you are not using network manager.

Can you advise please.

Cheers
Spart
Do you want to set OP as client or server? if client, you can set your static IP with network manager (Menu>Preferences>Network Connections). If server, you can change the default IP 10.10.10.1 editing wifi_server.py