Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 00:53   #721

Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddaneel View Post
Hi Sailoog

Is there a way to connect my PC (Cape Town) with another RPi 2 in Switzerland running OP. I have used teamviewer between PC's but is there something similar to connect to OP over internet, many thanks

Richard
By forwarding the correct ports on your router, you can connect to the VNC service over the internet, everything is already installed on the pi, you just need to open the port and install a VNC client on the computer.

You need to know the outside IP of the pi's internet connection.
Be aware that forwarding ports come with some risks, so use a good login password etc, and only open the VNC port.
Alekoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 02:25   #722

Hi Alekoy

Thanks for your reply and it will immediately be obvious to yoou that you are dealing with a newbie. If I go ifconfig I get this:
pi@openplotter:~ $ sudo ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b8:27:eb:79:3f:c3
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:1184 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1184 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:80992 (79.0 KiB) TX bytes:80992 (79.0 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b8:27:eb:2c:6a:96
inet addr:10.10.10.1 Bcast:10.10.10.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::6308:30bd:7ae6:bf64/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:8 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:100 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:505 (505.0 B) TX bytes:21814 (21.3 KiB)

pi@openplotter:~ $

which ip address do I use, as i tried all of them but get o loopback"errors with VNC'many thanks and apologies,
richard
richarddaneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 02:33   #723

No problem, I used to be a noob myself

Just open a browser (works on any computer using the same internet connection) and visit www.whatismyip.com the external IP will be in big bold numbers

Your connections IP might change, so you might want to set up a DynDNS or aomething, but that is another story
Alekoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 02:49   #724

thanks for the help, tried it and got the error, failed as receiving computer actively denied it, how do I enable OP on the RPi to allow VNC, thx
Old 19-04-2016, 04:34   #725

Boat: Steel 9.8 x 2.55 x 0.7

You are behind an so called NAT Router. If you really forward the VNC Port you have so set this Router translate his adress/port to your private (not routable) adress. in your case (ifconfig) 10.10.10.1

But it is an really big security hole as the password is only hashed and not crypted in the internet.

Better try to setup your aund your pi to connect to an VPN Server and therefore meet on your own network without hassle. You should find the docus to setup an VNC-Server on the VNC Usergroups.

Good Luck

Holger
hwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 07:15   #726

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b8:27:eb:2c:6a:96
inet addr:10.10.10.1 Bcast:10.10.10.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
Much as I hate to throw a spanner in the works, in post #9 sailoog mentioned that when configured as an access point 10.10.10.1 is the default ip address openplotter assigns itself.

Is richarddaneel's pi even connected to the Internet?
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 09:54   #727

Re: Analalogue sensor input progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
Sailoog
I know you have your head in The Cloud at present but ... How is the analogue sensor input module going ?

I have built my own MCP3208 fuel sender reader and bargraph display.
It runs off the SPI interface and is connected to my resistive fuel gauge sender. I've shamelessly copied code from others in order to write a little python prog which captures fuel level data and displays it on an Adafruit LED bargraph over I2C. (Works just great)

I'm installing my OpenPlotter Pi on my boat on Friday but I don't want to go too far "off-piste" with my developments as Id rather stick to the Openplotter framework
You are right, The Cloud won the position to the analogue sensors but now I have already come down from the clouds. We have done some work on it and I say "we" because there are more people involved now. There is a guy helping with code and another one working on a ADC board. These was the good news, the bad ones are that we have realized that we need to do some work before...

Nowadays we have some non NMEA standard data from sensors: heel, pitch, pressure, air temp, humidity and temp from multiple 1W sensors normally from engine. We are streaming this data in XDR sentences in a non standard way. When we implement analogue sensors this list will increase. So, we have exciting data but we do not have much to do with it. By this moment all this data can be managed by the trigger/actions system but we do not have a way to visualize it, yes the famous gauges again.

Then we have decided that first of all we need to do the obvious step, totally implementation of signal k. That means allow the user to select what signal k property wants to assign to each sensor.

I will try to work in parallel, implementing signal k to sensors and creating the SPI analogue interface.

Sorry, I know you have been waiting for long time. No more Clouds, SMS...
Old 19-04-2016, 10:02   #728

Quote:
which ip address do I use, as i tried all of them but get o loopback"errors with VNC'many thanks and apologies,
richard
In the "WiFi AP" tab there is a column named "Addresses" where you will find always all the active IP and ports on your system.

If you want to access to OP from internet you need your public IP (as Alekoy suggested) and to open the ports on your router (difficult thing if you are connected to the marina router).
Old 22-04-2016, 02:12   #729

Hi sailoog

I have a barometer and accelerometer hooked up to i2c and if I go to sudo i2cdetect -y 1 I can see it picks it up, no problem. If I go to the OP i2csensors page I can see it has picked up the sensors. I then select them but no data and NMEA strings appear in the inspector page. Is there a command I can use to see the data coming from the sensors (i2cget ???). thx
Old 25-04-2016, 23:37   #730

Boat: Chantier duu Port Rézé les Nantes, Mopélia 2000

In my case,I had to reset all sensors, restart OP and reselect the sensors, then they appeared in the inspector window.
Didier B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 02:13   #731

Hi Sailoog

Please could you let me know which version will work on which RPI. For example, on my RPi 2 I used ver 6 but I see it does not work on RPi 3 not sure why I just get the start-up colourful block then nothing. Also, will the newer ver 7 and 8 work on RPi 2? thx
Old 26-04-2016, 05:48   #732

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Hi Sailoog

Please could you let me know which version will work on which RPI. For example, on my RPi 2 I used ver 6 but I see it does not work on RPi 3 not sure why I just get the start-up colourful block then nothing. Also, will the newer ver 7 and 8 work on RPi 2? thx
The "start-up colourful block" is likely an issue with your power supply being under-powered; The Rpi3 uses a lot more power than it's predecessors.

Version 7 works on My Rpi3 but I did have to sort out problems with the power supply.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 10:27   #733

Boat: Laguna 33

I don't think that's correct advice: when the Pi3 came out the then-current version of openplotter that did exactly that rainbow on boot, and support was later added. Start with the latest images and you will be fine.

Of course the Pi3 DOES demand more power, so it could be both things.
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 12:34   #734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post

If you want to access to OP from internet you need your public IP (as Alekoy suggested) and to open the ports on your router (difficult thing if you are connected to the marina router).
With a "reverse public tunnel" (my expression) tool like https://ngrok.com/ you can create a tunnel from a publicly accessible host to a server running locally behind a NAT + firewall + service provider restrictions. I've successfully published onboard sailing data with a Signal K server + sailgauge/instrumentpanel.

Another option for private remote access is setting up a VPN. I can access my onboard SK server or the RPi via ssh by opening a VPN connection to the onboard VPN server. Access to your MFD with the tablet apps should also be possible, but can't yet vouch for it.

For those willing to go with Ansible setting up a VPN over 4G uplink: https://github.com/tkurki/marinepi-p...ia.yml#L29-L43

Maybe OpenPlotter could include either or both of these techniques as options?

Maybe OpenPlotter could include such functionality as an option?
teppokurki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 06:01   #735

Boat: Formosa 41

Hi guys,

I have created a version of RTIMULib2 to handle my IMU MPU9255.

So how do I replace/update the libraries within openplotter?
I have compiled the RTIMULib , RTIMUDrive* , RTIMUDemo* libraries.

Openplotter can see the bmp180 sensor but not the IMU (greyed out), when I "reset and then calibrate " the RTIMUDemoGL sees my sensor.

I am using a Raspberry pi 2 and version 0.8.0 beta.

Any ideas and help grateful accepted.

Thanks
Nick_Currawong is offline   Reply With Quote