Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-03-2016, 14:13   #616

Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
Could you post here what the terminal says when you connect just the shipmodul and type lsusb?
'Hi Sailoog,

I'll do that in the weekend, stay tuned ...
SYVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 15:00   #617

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Here we go...

Test OpenPlotter v0.7.1beta | Sailoog

Now with NMEA 2000

OpenPlotter Raspberry 2 & 3 compatible. Download and create the SD as usual. If no bugs are reported, I will add translations and some improvements and release the v0.7.1 stable version ASAP.
I've been a Pi2/openplotter user for awhile & just got my Pi3 in the mail today. Ran into the 4 long/4 short green blinks & rainbow screen & was pointed to this thread in my search for a fix. Downloading & testing v0.7 now!
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 19:46   #618

OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Do these busses use standar NMEA 2000 or proprietary protocol?

Raymarine uses Seatalk ng, thats NMEA2000, only the plugs are different.

Volvo Penta uses a common bus in automobile Industries. It is J1939 standard compliant.

Philippi says to use NEMA2000, but you must use a interface to go shure that no disturbing sentences are sent and received to the navi electronics.

best regards,

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Alpenskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 01:27   #619

Quote:
If you just want to have data in OpenCPN you should use the NGW-1, if you want to have more than navigation data NGT-1.

In both cases you should configure the devices with the software provided by actinsense (windows) and then just connect to openplotter. You do not need drivers, all is in OP.

Set NGW-1 device in NMEA 0183 tab.
Set NGT-1 device in Signal K tab.
I have tested with the NGT-1 connected to OpenPlotter, but I don't get any information to OpenCPN. If I click on the "Show Web Socket" button in the "Signal K" tab I see the data from the NGT-1, but nothing in the NMEA Debug Window in OpenCPN.
Is the Signal K NMEA 0183 output working?
jpterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 02:39   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpterj View Post
I have tested with the NGT-1 connected to OpenPlotter, but I don't get any information to OpenCPN. If I click on the "Show Web Socket" button in the "Signal K" tab I see the data from the NGT-1, but nothing in the NMEA Debug Window in OpenCPN.
Is the Signal K NMEA 0183 output working?
Open Opencpn and go to options > connections and you will see 2 networks connections. Disable 10110 port and enable 10111 port.

TCP localhost 10111 is the NMEA 0183 output from signal k in Openplotter because 10110 is being used by kplex output.

Report your results please.
Old 18-03-2016, 11:50   #621

Quote:
Open Opencpn and go to options > connections and you will see 2 networks connections. Disable 10110 port and enable 10111 port.

TCP localhost 10111 is the NMEA 0183 output from signal k in Openplotter because 10110 is being used by kplex output.

Report your results please.
I am sure I did this when I tested this morning.
At least I have done it again now, and the same result.
When clicking " Show Web Socket" it looks like it shows the information from the GPS that is feeding the NMEA 2000 bus. Is there a way to log this rather than just showing it? It updates so fast that it is difficult to see all PGNs, but at least I get position data that is consistent with what OpenCPN on the PC with the GPS USB dongle reports.

In OpenCPN on OP I do not get a GPS posistion, nor any output in the NMEA debug window.

I will try to describe my test setup in case it matters:

Linux PC (also Windows 10 in VirtualBox VM):
USB to serial GPS (0183) on /dev/ttyUSB1.
OpenCPN with /dev/ttyUSB1 as input and /dev/ttyUSB0 as output.
NGW-1 on /dev/ttyUSB0.

NMEA 2000 backbone connecting NGW-1 and NGT-1:

OP on Rasbberry Pi 3:
NGT-1 on /dev/ttyUSB0.
Signal K configured with /dev/ttyUSB0 as NMEA 2000 CAN-USB (and 0183 output on TCP localhost 10111)
OpenCPN with connection set to localhost 10111 TCP as input.

If I connect the NGT-1 to the Windows 10 VM and run NMEA Reader I see all the data from the GPS USB dongle, and if I activate a Route in OpenCPN in Linux I also see XTE and other related PGNs in NMEA Reader.
Old 18-03-2016, 12:19   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpterj View Post
I am sure I did this when I tested this morning.
At least I have done it again now, and the same result.
When clicking " Show Web Socket" it looks like it shows the information from the GPS that is feeding the NMEA 2000 bus. Is there a way to log this rather than just showing it? It updates so fast that it is difficult to see all PGNs, but at least I get position data that is consistent with what OpenCPN on the PC with the GPS USB dongle reports.

In OpenCPN on OP I do not get a GPS posistion, nor any output in the NMEA debug window.

I will try to describe my test setup in case it matters:

Linux PC (also Windows 10 in VirtualBox VM):
USB to serial GPS (0183) on /dev/ttyUSB1.
OpenCPN with /dev/ttyUSB1 as input and /dev/ttyUSB0 as output.
NGW-1 on /dev/ttyUSB0.

NMEA 2000 backbone connecting NGW-1 and NGT-1:

OP on Rasbberry Pi 3:
NGT-1 on /dev/ttyUSB0.
Signal K configured with /dev/ttyUSB0 as NMEA 2000 CAN-USB (and 0183 output on TCP localhost 10111)
OpenCPN with connection set to localhost 10111 TCP as input.

If I connect the NGT-1 to the Windows 10 VM and run NMEA Reader I see all the data from the GPS USB dongle, and if I activate a Route in OpenCPN in Linux I also see XTE and other related PGNs in NMEA Reader.
Then I think I know what is happening. I suspected that signalk might not be converting NMEA 2000 into NMEA 0183, just multiplexing and streaming the NMEA 0183 inputs and this might be the evidence.

OpenCPN only understand NMEA 0183 no Signal k. I'm afraid doesn't exist any signal k-NMEA 0183 converter yet.

My advice, plug a GPS dongle for navigation with OpenCPN and let signal k/NMEA 2000 and the future instruments tools do the rest of tasks.
Old 18-03-2016, 12:54   #623

Quote:
Then I think I know what is happening. I suspected that signalk might not be converting NMEA 2000 into NMEA 0183, just multiplexing and streaming the NMEA 0183 inputs and this might be the evidence.

OpenCPN only understand NMEA 0183 no Signal k. I'm afraid doesn't exist any signal k-NMEA 0183 converter yet.

My advice, plug a GPS dongle for navigation with OpenCPN and let signal k/NMEA 2000 and the future instruments tools do the rest of tasks.
I will just use the NGW-1 instead for now then. It should do what I want, receive navigation and AIS info from the NMEA 2000 bus and send it to OpenCPN. I have also verified that XTE and other related info is sent from OpenCPN and to the NMEA 2000 bus, so think the autopilot should be able to read it.
Old 19-03-2016, 02:24   #624

Boat: Moody 44
Re: OpenPlotter project - screen timeout

I'm using the OpenPlotter 0.7.1 OCN image on RPI3 and it works great.

I have one small problem though ...

I want to set my main monitor to go blank (power saving) after 3-4 minutes of inactivity but I do not want the XRDP Remote Desktop screen to go off at all. (I use it as my cockpit repeater)

I've experimented with xset dpms commands to set the main screen to go blank but I cant stop it blanking the remote desktop screen as well.

(BTW I tried VNC as well as Windows RDP clients and result is the same)

Anyone got any any thoughts ?
Steve
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 07:39   #625

Hi!

Openplotter ist running now on the Pi3. Super!

Now I woould like to use it as a Wifi accesspoint an share the internet from a service provider over a second Wifi connection with a Wifi dongle.

First question is this possible?

When I try to edit WLAN settings it says, I am not authorized to control networking. Howe can I get control?

I checked the box to use Openplatter as AP and set share internet with WLAN1.
I can see WLAN1 in the networksettings in the taskbar, but I can not connect to another wifi net, because I am not authorized (all grey).

Thx
Martin
Old 19-03-2016, 09:42   #626

Boat: Moody 44
Re: OpenPlotter project - screen timeout

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
I'm using the OpenPlotter 0.7.1 OCN image on RPI3 and it works great.

I have one small problem though ...

I want to set my main monitor to go blank (power saving) after 3-4 minutes of inactivity but I do not want the XRDP Remote Desktop screen to go off at all. (I use it as my cockpit repeater)

I've experimented with xset dpms commands to set the main screen to go blank but I cant stop it blanking the remote desktop screen as well.

(BTW I tried VNC as well as Windows RDP clients and result is the same)

Anyone got any any thoughts ?
Steve
SOLVED
For anyone interested ...
in a Terminal type
nano ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

Add
xset dpms 120 121 122

as last line to set timeout to 2 minutes

Remote VNC/RDP screen also times-out after 2 minutes but can be restored by remote mouse movement without "waking up" the main monitor. Main monitor wakes up with a local mouse movement.
Not perfect but It will do.
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 09:43   #627

Quote:
Could you post here what the terminal says when you connect just the shipmodul and type lsusb?
Hi sailoog,

Her goes ...

pi@openplotter:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0403:fd49 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd ShipModul MiniPlex-4xUSB-AIS NMEA Multiplexer
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

In addition a /dev/serial/by-id directory is created with a device name at which I could recognize the Shipmodul NMEA MUX. So the dices seems to be recognized but the NMEA datastream not.

Assitance would be appreciated.

Regards,

Michel.
SYVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 15:41   #628

My Pi 3 arrived - and I loaded v0.7.1beta - and got almost everything working - gps, rtl-sdr, switches, relays, 1w and i2c, the nmea and signalk streams, the gauges etc.. - cant wait to get to the boat.

BUT _ I'm not having any luck getting the access point up and running.

In Openplotter, on the the wifi ap screen my only choice for 'Wifi AP device' is wlan0, and for 'ethernet connection to share' my only choices are none, eth0, or wlan0. If I choose wlan0, when i click enable i get a message saying the two cant be the same. If I choose to shae eth0 (though ethernet cable not connected - it replies that the AP is started with default chipset, nl80211 driver, and kills my wifi connection - (device not managed) , and it kills my vnc conenction. I do see the ssid though...

What am I missing? Thanks
svlittlewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 21:38   #629
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlittlewing View Post
My Pi 3 arrived - and I loaded v0.7.1beta - and got almost everything working - gps, rtl-sdr, switches, relays, 1w and i2c, the nmea and signalk streams, the gauges etc.. - cant wait to get to the boat.

BUT _ I'm not having any luck getting the access point up and running.

In Openplotter, on the the wifi ap screen my only choice for 'Wifi AP device' is wlan0, and for 'ethernet connection to share' my only choices are none, eth0, or wlan0. If I choose wlan0, when i click enable i get a message saying the two cant be the same. If I choose to shae eth0 (though ethernet cable not connected - it replies that the AP is started with default chipset, nl80211 driver, and kills my wifi connection - (device not managed) , and it kills my vnc conenction. I do see the ssid though...

What am I missing? Thanks
If you just want to stream nmea data over wifi then leave the "Internet connection to share" box blank, if you want to rebroadcast a wifi hotspot that the Pi is connected to then you'll need another wifi dongle. I'm on a marina wifi rebroadcast by a pi at the moment, into a laptop and a tablet.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 21:47   #630

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
If you just want to stream nmea data over wifi then leave the "Internet connection to share" box blank, if you want to rebroadcast a wifi hotspot that the Pi is connected to then you'll need another wifi dongle. I'm on a marina wifi rebroadcast by a pi at the moment, into a laptop and a tablet.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

I want to rebroadcast a marina Hotspot, too (V 0.71b, RPI3, second WiFi dongle running.

The Setup seems ok, AP working, but I can't connect to the marina hotspot, because "I am not authorized to change network settings" (see my post above).

I am leaving to our boat right now - can you give me a hint, please?

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum