Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 07:31   #481

Boat: Laguna 33
Re: OpenPlotter project

I hesitate to ask this question, as AIS splitters have been a very contentious topic elsewhere on this forum, but I wonder what exactly comprises a VHF/AIS antenna splitter circuit. They tend to be an expensive item for such a seemingly simple function and I wonder if DIY is an option. (To disclaim: two antennas would certainly be preferable, such a splitter would be for experimental use and for backup purposes in case of a loss of an antenna.)
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:49   #482

Boat: Pearson 385

Sailoog,

I have been thinking of an extension to OpenPlotter and I wanted to run it by you. I currently have, on my boat, a monitoring system made by Boat Command Boat Command | Connect to your boat anytime, anywhere. Only $8.99/mo! It seems to me that it would be very easy to set up a system like this using OpenPlotter. I have been looking into Amazon's AWS/IOT service. I have created an account and reserved a domain (openmarine.net) for us to use. It appears that all of the pieces are there for doing this on a Raspberry Pi. Node.js is needed and it looks like it's already there for SignalK and Paho (Paho - Open Source messaging for M2M) for the MQTT messaging from the Pi to AWS. This would allow posting of data into an Amazon database to be shown via a webpage (battery voltage, bilge cycling, entry alarm, etc.) to monitor your boat while away. It would also allow you to push notifications to the boat (turn on a light, turn on the air conditioning/heat before you get there). Any takers? Anyone with experience in this?

Richard
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:55   #483

WOW! Have you seen the prices of the Boat Command products! $49.95 for a relay!

Products | Boat Command
Harry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:05   #484

Yes. Pretty crazy. The only item that I've purchased from them was a temp sensor and that was a boat show special at 50% off.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-03-2016, 10:43   #485

Boat: Chantier duu Port Rézé les Nantes, Mopélia 2000
Thumbs up Re: OpenPlotter project

AIS testing : que du bonheur !
Last WE I had an opportunity to test the AIS feature in OP and it worked just out of the box !
The test was performed close to ST Guénolé - Penmarc'h harbour, using a DIY VHF antenna made following the link found in the doc :

I used a DVB-T pre calibrated by Sailoog, assumed I had to use channel A, and...

We can observe than some local fisherman don't switch off their AIS transponder when entering harbour ...
Didier B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:00   #486

This must be a joke. $29.95 for two magnets?
Magnetic Door Switch Kit | Boat Command

Vamonos, do you read my mind? it is not the first time. Have you hacked my computer?

I have been mulling over it for a long time. My perfect scenario would be:

openmarine.net getting data from boats equipped with OpenPlotter and sending data to them as you suggested.

Besides this, it could be a site where users could share their OpenPlotter assemblies. OpenPlotter has more than 600 downloads so I think there are a lot of people hacking their boats.

It could be a site to centralize support. This thread and others are a good site to spread the word but now is too long for working as support site (the thread on the spanish forum has more than 1500 post).

I see it as a community site running over some kind of CMS. I am used to work with Drupal CMS and it could be a perfect tool to manage users profiles and secure connections with external services (AWS/IoT...) through webservices.

Who is in?
Old 01-03-2016, 11:34   #487
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
It could be a site to centralize support. This thread and others are a good site to spread the word but now is too long for working as support site (the thread on the spanish forum has more than 1500 post).

I see it as a community site running over some kind of CMS. I am used to work with Drupal CMS and it could be a perfect tool to manage users profiles and secure connections with external services (AWS/IoT...) through webservices.

Who is in?

Exciting times indeed! I really think we're at the start of a major branch in boat electronics, with the likes of openplotter & signalK blazing the trail

Pi3 ordered, should be here on friday, can't wait.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:08   #488

Quote:
Magnetic Door Switch Kit | Boat Command

Vamonos, do you read my mind? it is not the first time. Have you hacked my computer?

I have been mulling over it for a long time. My perfect scenario would be:

openmarine.net getting data from boats equipped with OpenPlotter and sending data to them as you suggested.

Besides this, it could be a site where users could share their OpenPlotter assemblies. OpenPlotter has more than 600 downloads so I think there are a lot of people hacking their boats.

Who is in?
Sounds great. I'm in the process of spinning up a Drupal instance on AWS. I do see the need for a dedicated forum. I love Cruisers Forum, but this thread has 500 posts and with the spanish forum having 1500, it makes it hard to find the information needed with everything streamed in a single post. I'll keep you updated.

Richard
Old 01-03-2016, 13:55   #489

Quote:
Pah, thats peanuts! I was just looking for a empty radome, to put the 3G stick, GPS, AIS and the magnetometer on top of the roof and found this:

to create the symmetrical dual dome look by installing an empty radome next to their Intellian

You might ask yourself what the Price for the non-empty version is: 55k!

Quote:
openmarine.net
Who is in?
Me, absolutely!

Sailoog, i just ordered some stuff in your shop, including the Sponsoring SD twice because of your work, and i hope some guys here follow. But, could you therefore notice me if the NMEA converter becomes avaiable again? Planned some tests with my plotters...
McElch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 18:18   #490

Sailoog,

Please email me so that we can have an offline conversation.

Richard
thematcoman at hotmail dot com
Old 02-03-2016, 04:20   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by McElch View Post
Pah, thats peanuts! I was just looking for a empty radome, to put the 3G stick, GPS, AIS and the magnetometer on top of the roof and found this:

to create the symmetrical dual dome look by installing an empty radome next to their Intellian

You might ask yourself what the Price for the non-empty version is: 55k!

Me, absolutely!

Sailoog, i just ordered some stuff in your shop, including the Sponsoring SD twice because of your work, and i hope some guys here follow. But, could you therefore notice me if the NMEA converter becomes avaiable again? Planned some tests with my plotters...

I hope next week NMEA converters are back in stock, I will notify you

I think you might found some opaque methacrylate dome for few bucks.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:04   #492

Quote:
I hope next week NMEA converters are back in stock, I will notify you .
Well, if it takes no more than one or two weeks, it would be ok to schedule my ordered stuff for this time and send it together with the converters. My primary concern was the donation. Actually here the streets are snow white, so it will take some time until all gets productive...

Quote:
I think you might found some opaque methacrylate dome for few bucks.
Considering why not taking just a cake transport box, covered with white plastic film, with a big openplotter sticker on it...

By the way, here is a picture of my test setup. In the lower left corner are my to-do´s! But have to disassemble and hide it everey day before my girlfriend comes home from work. Not built-in on the boat it has a insufficiant WAF!

Old 02-03-2016, 07:46   #493

Quote:
Originally Posted by McElch View Post
Well, if it takes no more than one or two weeks, it would be ok to schedule my ordered stuff for this time and send it together with the converters. My primary concern was the donation. Actually here the streets are snow white, so it will take some time until all gets productive...

Considering why not taking just a cake transport box, covered with white plastic film, with a big openplotter sticker on it...

By the way, here is a picture of my test setup. In the lower left corner are my to-do´s! But have to disassemble and hide it everey day before my girlfriend comes home from work. Not built-in on the boat it has a insufficiant WAF!

Ok, no problem.

What are these sensors close the relays? gas, liquid level? As far as I know gas sensors work as a switches and could work in openplotter out of the box, isn't it?
Old 02-03-2016, 11:10   #494

Quote:
Ok, no problem.

What are these sensors close the relays? gas, liquid level? As far as I know gas sensors work as a switches and could work in openplotter out of the box, isn't it?
Yes, this are MQ-2 (Propan/butan), MQ-7 (Carbone Monoxide), 30A Current and Moisture (good for water). But im not sure about the gas sensors.
I read that they are inconveniant, as they need to be calibrated and always has to be powered/heated.

But this are all analog sensors.

This is where the bigger red comes in. Ist a very exiting board: Arduino Nano & ESP8226 WIFI on one board. It is usable like a Arduino, but includes WIFI (Client, AP-Mode, TCP/UDP Server,...). This makes it ideal for IoT.

I consider to use it as de-central data collector, e.g. for the engine room. It could collect data from analog (and / or digital) sensors, convert to digital and send them wired or wireless to openplotter.

Here is a brief overview, if someone else is interested:NanoESP Board
Old 02-03-2016, 14:15   #495

Quote:

Who is in?

I sure am! Just point me in a direction and hit 'go'. I'm no programmer, but a communication professional.. Bring it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skyhi is offline   Reply With Quote