Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 03:17   #361
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
We did so before and we switched to XDR because MDA was deprecated.

http://www.nmea.org/Assets/100108_nm...ew_designs.pdf

Although I think dashboard and konni plugins should be which should update, it isn't much work and I can implement both sentences. Do you mind if I mark this as low priority?
Ta
Thinking about it, while waiting for the dashboard & logbook to catch up it might be just as easy for anyone desperate to get the data into those plugins to use the excellent NmeaConverter. NMEA Converter | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Though the barometer readings get rounded up, which might change soon hopefully. I'm using a bmp180 on an arduino now so just write the sentence required in there.

Plus, OpenCPN 4.2 out, hopefully will be on the Rasp Pi jessie repositories soon.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:55   #362

Boat: Chantier duu Port Rézé les Nantes, Mopélia 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier B View Post
I'm preparing an other SD to try to repeat the scenario from beginning ...
Hi Sailoog, the good news is that everything seems OK with the fresh SD card.
I first used "azertyuiop" as message, and everything went fine.
Of course my second try was to use "présence d'eau à tribord", and, bingo ! it all happened again !
So, it is confirmed OP is allergic to "special" (non Anglo-Saxon) characters.
This could be due to the usage of python 2, as python 3 has no problem with UTF8 ; however, there is a way to push Python 2 to accept UTF8 in the characters chains (not in function or variables), as shown in this tutorial sorry, in french),
in : http://www.eyrolles.com/download/978...ment-ebook.pdf
Quote :
=====
Python 2 peut gérer les caractères accentués et spéciaux mais il faut l’aider à le faire.
Ainsi, crée le programme Python suivant et enregistre-le sous le nom accents.py :
#! /usr/bin/python
print "À chaque problème, sa solution"
Exécute ensuite ce programme dans un terminal (pas le shell 3.4 de Python) :
$ ./accents.py
ou :
$ python accents.py
Python 2 lève les bras au ciel et crie « on arrête tout » :
File "accents.py", line 2
SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character '\xc3' in file accents.py on line 2, but no encoding declared; see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details
Maintenant, insère la ligne suivante juste avant la ligne avec le print :
#! /usr/bin/python
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
print "À chaque problème, sa solution"

Puis exécute de nouveau le programme :
$ python accents.py
À chaque problème, sa solution
Ça fonctionne ! La deuxième ligne de commentaire indique en fait à Python d’utiliser le système d’encodage de caractères UTF-8, qui gère parfaitement les caractères accentués et spéciaux.
Well, I am now preparing a new fresh SD cards ...

By the way, I know you are quite busy, but would it be possible to have a "user data backup/restore" protocol or even better a script called by menu entry. This could apply to :
  • Raspberry settings (locale, overclocking, etc.),
  • wifi connection (SSID, password ?),
  • OpenCPN preferences,
  • OpenPlotter preferences (language)
  • OpenPlotters settings
  • and so on...
That would be a big relief for beta testers !
Didier B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:01   #363

Boat: Chantier duu Port Rézé les Nantes, Mopélia 2000
Thumbs up Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Never mind, I confirm that was the problem and it was affecting french and catalan translations due to accentuation in actions names.

I have fixed it (I hope this time is true) on dev version. Update typing:

Code:
cd
cd .config 
rm -rf openplotter/  
git clone -b dev https://github.com/sailoog/openplotter.git
I called this "the donkey fixing"

Thanks!
I see our respective last posts did collided somehow !

a lot for your pompt correction
Didier B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:33   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier B View Post
I see our respective last posts did collided somehow !

a lot for your pompt correction
Yes

Thanks to you for torturing OP.

I have tried the proposed solution in that document but never worked

About "user data backup/restore" yes! It thought of creating an option in settings menu to export/import:

openplotter.conf (language, wifi settings, actions, sensors...)
kplex.conf (NMEA multiplexer)
opencpn.conf
zygrib.conf
config.txt (raspbian settings)

The problem could be that sometimes these files have big changes between versions and if you try to apply an old conf file to an updated package you can have odd behaviours. Maybe a little check to prevent export/import conf files between major updates could do the trick.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:07   #365

Quote:
F..k! Someone suggested including these interfaces in share connection and I forgot, sorry

there is a trick that could work, edit this file:

/home/pi/.config/openplotter/openplotter.conf

and where it says:
Code:
[WIFI] 
enable = 0 
device = 
share = 0 
ssid =  
password =
put
Code:
share = eth1
or
Code:
share = ppp0
save, reset and report what happens please.

starting OpenCPN failed? Why? Do you have a raspberry 1 or zero?

From a country that invest more money in soccer players than R&D you can not expect to be known by projects like this luck of wine and tapas
I tried this with the eth1, and it works!

Even if in the "Wifi Access Point" dialog in openplotter no "Connection to share" is shown.

Phantastic!

Now that this is done, how difficult would it be to let the Pi share its internet connection via the internal LAN eth0, too? I have a small, USB powered switch and a additional Pi for Kodi and a Ubuntu PC as the head/plotter on my boat...

By the way: for a while i plan to visit Barcelona because of a very cheap flight connection from here. Some friends already did and they loved the city. Wonder if this would be a good valentines gift for my girlfriend. If i do so, i hope i can invite you to the suggested wine/seafood, as i really acprecciate your outstanding work with openplotter!
McElch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:01   #366

Boat: Moody 44

I promissed to leave Sailoog to get on with documentation so this question is for anyone else

I cant connect to the OP Wireless Access point with my Windows 10 PC.
My PC sees the AP SSID correctly but connects as an "Unidentified network" and gives me no connection to the Pi

Is anyone else succesfully connecting from a Win10 PC ?

Incidently I can connect using Ethernet and I can also connect succesfully to the AP from my old Win CE device
thx
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 13:02   #367

Boat: Pearson 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
I promissed to leave Sailoog to get on with documentation so this question is for anyone else

I cant connect to the OP Wireless Access point with my Windows 10 PC.
My PC sees the AP SSID correctly but connects as an "Unidentified network" and gives me no connection to the Pi

Is anyone else succesfully connecting from a Win10 PC ?

Incidently I can connect using Ethernet and I can also connect succesfully to the AP from my old Win CE device
thx
I'm running Windows 10 and connected here on my desk, even as I type this. If it says 'Unidentified Network' that should mean that it's connected. Are you getting an IP address, gateway, DNS, etc.?
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 14:01   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamonos View Post
I'm running Windows 10 and connected here on my desk, even as I type this. If it says 'Unidentified Network' that should mean that it's connected. Are you getting an IP address, gateway, DNS, etc.?
Thanks Vamanos, Its a strange one ...
I discovered that if I ran the Windows network connections "Diagnose" tool it "fixed" the connection and I could connect to the OP AP.
After that I couldnt connect my W10 PC back onto my home router AP until I again ran the network connections diagnose tool.

The OP AP works fine with my Win CE device for on the boat so I think Ill just use Ethernet for bench testing
Old 08-02-2016, 14:07   #369

Boat: Pearson 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
Thanks Vamanos, Its a strange one ...
I discovered that if I ran the Windows network connections "Diagnose" tool it "fixed" the connection and I could connect to the OP AP.
After that I couldnt connect my W10 PC back onto my home router AP until I again ran the network connections diagnose tool.

The OP AP works fine with my Win CE device for on the boat so I think Ill just use Ethernet for bench testing

Interesting. It sounds like it's not releasing the IP and getting a new one. You could try ipconfig /renew at a command prompt and see if that works.
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 14:17   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamonos View Post
Interesting. It sounds like it's not releasing the IP and getting a new one. You could try ipconfig /renew at a command prompt and see if that works.
Thanks I'll give it a try tomorrow
Old 09-02-2016, 05:05   #371

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:

kplex.conf (NMEA multiplexer)
[...]
The problem could be that sometimes these files have big changes between versions and if you try to apply an old conf file to an updated package you can have odd behaviours.
An old kplex config file *should* always work with a newer version, within a major release at least. If it doesn't it's a bug.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:30   #372
Marine Service Provider

Raspberry now with hardware accelerated opengl:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/ano...pbian-release/

Reason enough for a new release ASAP ??
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:06   #373
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Seen this?
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/ano...omment-1252952

What a difference in opencpn having hardware openGL working, fantastic! Before it was sluggish but workable, now it's a real contender.

One thing, mine was having trouble with the voltage getting a bit low, I had to turn up the variable dc/dc power supply a little bit to get up to 5v on the 5v gpio pin, otherwise the display was unstable.

Edit - petter got in before me
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:16   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Seen this?
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/ano...omment-1252952

What a difference in opencpn having hardware openGL working, fantastic! Before it was sluggish but workable, now it's a real contender.

One thing, mine was having trouble with the voltage getting a bit low, I had to turn up the variable dc/dc power supply a little bit to get up to 5v on the 5v gpio pin, otherwise the display was unstable.

Edit - petter got in before me
Didnt seem to work for me ...
Having downloaded the driver and set OpenGL in OCPN I just got a black screen instead of charts
Being a novice Pi'er Im happy to step back from the bleeding edge and not use OGL as performance without it was satisfactory anyway.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:39   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by McElch View Post
I tried this with the eth1, and it works!

Even if in the "Wifi Access Point" dialog in openplotter no "Connection to share" is shown.

Phantastic!

Now that this is done, how difficult would it be to let the Pi share its internet connection via the internal LAN eth0, too? I have a small, USB powered switch and a additional Pi for Kodi and a Ubuntu PC as the head/plotter on my boat...

By the way: for a while i plan to visit Barcelona because of a very cheap flight connection from here. Some friends already did and they loved the city. Wonder if this would be a good valentines gift for my girlfriend. If i do so, i hope i can invite you to the suggested wine/seafood, as i really acprecciate your outstanding work with openplotter!
Yeah!

Have you tested with ppp0 too?

I will fix this on next release.

What you are asking about sharing by eth0 would be easy to program but difficult to coexist with the current mode. I am afraid it is too much work to such specific case.

There is no better place for valentines gift than Barcelona. It's a city ready for tourism but this has a price... probably you will not find any local There are 3 days holidays here and we go out so that wine must wait Thanks!!!